Favorite BC Campsites

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: Jen, Tara, Kathy

Re: Favorite BC Campsites

Postby Heff936 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Hiking solo would make it easy to get creeped out, especially around Trout Lake if you have read NOG. I've never been to that area but it would definitely on my mind even though it is completely illogical.

Heff
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Postby wnysteve » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:32 pm

pitamakan wrote:I've had the same sensation during my visits to Trout Lake, probably because I've read Night of the Grizzlys once too often.

Last fall I was returning from Trout Lake via the Camas route. Just before we retraced to the intersection with the Howe Ridge trail, I spotted the glimmer of a metallic object just protruding from the earth at the edge of the trail. I stopped and picked it up and it was... a hemostat. I think we talked in whispers for a long time after that. I guess "creepy" could have described the atmosphere, or perhaps "somber" might have been better. After we had returned to the Inside Road, we began to rationalize that the device was probably a more recent artifact that someone had dropped. But then, who knows?
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Postby Robin Hood » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:04 am

pitamakan wrote:
Fairbanks142 wrote:
pitamakan wrote:I met Jake from hike734 a couple weeks ago, and during our conversation he told me that he thought the upper Camas drainage was just about the creepiest place he visited during that entire hike marathon.

Any specifics on why he thought it was creepy? Otherwise any speculation?

Though he didn't see any large wildlife, I think his Spidy-sense was telling him that there were large, toothsome creatures lurking behind every shrub, watching him ... :)

I've had the same sensation during my visits to Trout Lake, probably because I've read Night of the Grizzlys once too often.

lol, Ive had that same feeling. could also have a lot to do with that drainage actually being super thick with grizzlies. I believe the camas drainage has a pretty high concentration of them, and its bushy in there
Robin Hood

Postby Marmotman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:53 pm

wnysteve wrote:
Last fall I was returning from Trout Lake via the Camas route. Just before we retraced to the intersection with the Howe Ridge trail, I spotted the glimmer of a metallic object just protruding from the earth at the edge of the trail. I stopped and picked it up and it was... a hemostat. I think we talked in whispers for a long time after that. I guess "creepy" could have described the atmosphere, or perhaps "somber" might have been better. After we had returned to the Inside Road, we began to rationalize that the device was probably a more recent artifact that someone had dropped. But then, who knows?

If it makes you feel any better, the hemostat was probably from a fisherman. I use them for getting hooks out of fish lips.
Marmotman

Postby NWOhioJeff » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:13 pm

thanks for this post! i have been looking all over for a conversion chart for the campground abbreviations - now i have it! reviews help too.... newbie to GNP in August - looking forward to the adventure and this board has been a great resource
NWOhioJeff

Postby Pfef » Fri May 26, 2017 10:38 am

Ole Lake - Ole Lake is secluded, surprisingly beautiful, and offers fun fishing for small brook trout. We hiked over Firebrand Pass on day 1, leaving us 16 miles along the Ole Creek Trail to the Walton Ranger Station on day 2."

Ole Creek Campground has the best forested "receptacle" IMO. Huge trees and open air. The whole Firebrand pass, OLL, then OLC is one of the most overlooked and underused parts of the park.

If anyone wants to get a walk in permit to a great location, this route is almost always available, and it is a relatively short shuttle by Glacier standards.
Pfef

Postby mattB » Sat May 27, 2017 2:09 pm

Pfef wrote:Ole Lake - Ole Lake is secluded, surprisingly beautiful, and offers fun fishing for small brook trout. We hiked over Firebrand Pass on day 1, leaving us 16 miles along the Ole Creek Trail to the Walton Ranger Station on day 2."

Ole Creek Campground has the best forested "receptacle" IMO. Huge trees and open air. The whole Firebrand pass, OLL, then OLC is one of the most overlooked and underused parts of the park.

If anyone wants to get a walk in permit to a great location, this route is almost always available, and it is a relatively short shuttle by Glacier standards.

Nice report, thanks!!
How did the shuttle work exactly?
mattB
Donator
Donator

Previous

Return to Camping