Campground Reservations

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: Campground Reservations

Postby Jay w » Sat May 25, 2019 6:03 pm

On my first trip to Glacier in the end of June, there was hardly anyone at Avalanche. I was able to get a great camping spot and had my pick of nearly the whole campground. Only a few campsites were taken. My neighbors ended of hiking to Arrow Lake (as I remember), got lost and ended up coming back at something like 9 the next morning. Crazy story but I don't remember the details. I think it was the following morning that I got up and left at 4 in the morning, was on Logan Pass before sunrise, and drove home (MN) the same day. (Slept on an on-ramp in ND for a couple hours.)

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby dpratt » Sat May 25, 2019 6:16 pm

I've actually camped in Apgar over the July 4th holiday and there were empty sites. That was back in 2000. In 2005 and 2006, we had the same luck during the shoulder seasons. Those days are apparently gone. I camped there on opening day last year (in late April) and it was packed. The only sites not occupied in the open loops were snow covered.

Now, despite living closer to the park then I ever have, I avoid it. Way too crowded for this rural MT bumpkin.
dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Postby PeteE » Sun May 26, 2019 12:16 am

I drove through Apgar and the Apgar CG Saturday afternoon on the way to Lake McDonald.
Pretty good crowd considering the weather. Looking like more of the same tomorrow.
Apgar was nearly full, at least Loop C was. Sprague CG was full.
Lake McDonald parking was close to full with people wandering around in the rain.
Avalanche CG not open yet but the parking was full with people walking around in the rain.

Here's 6 minutes of lame video.

https://photos.smugmug.com/GNP-Lame-Vid ... 9-1920.mp4

pete :wink:
PeteE

Previous

Return to Camping