Fifty Mountain

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

risingwolf
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Fifty Mountain

Post by risingwolf »

At the start of my backpack trip this year at Goat Haunt, my partner and I ran into one of the other parties of backpackers who were at 50 mountain during this incident and corroborate McNeill's story. As told by them, the backpackers who's tent was compromised were seasoned backpackers and they were adamant that there was no food in the tent.
But here is an odd twist. That morning on Aug 7 while picking up my BC permits at St Mary I inquired to the Rangers as to why 50 mountain has been closed and they said a backpacker had left food in the tent. You would think that by announcing such a powerful indictement of breaking BC rules and protocol that this statement be true especially coming from the BC office. But that does not seem to be the case and left me wondering of another motive or just that they are also susceptible to urban rumor.

pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Yeah, we'll probably never know for sure, but regardless of what was said at the time my guess is that there was something in that tent that probably shouldn't have been in there. Everybody slips up once in a while, regardless of experience, and a lot of people would be more interested in avoiding blame than they would in telling the truth.

Plus, a fundamental rule of good travel is to never, ever trust anything that's posted on TripAdvisor. :)

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

pitamakan wrote:Plus, a fundamental rule of good travel is to never, ever trust anything that's posted on TripAdvisor. :)
Amen to that!

Lyman

toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

Plus, a fundamental rule of good travel is to never, ever trust anything that's posted on TripAdvisor. :)
Exactly, they'll take anyone as a Destination Expert over there.... :wink:

Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Over the years, I've met a couple rangers who "been in the park a bit too long." As in, they're heading back to the coal mine for another shift. So yeah, I definitely could imagine rangers blaming some campers who did everything right and the bear was just on a wild tear. Someone's got to be to blame, and it's not me.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.

mikie

Post by mikie »

If the hiker is experienced, he might have cooked close to his tent or sleeping bag elsewhere in the country prior to visiting GNP. Or, someone else might have cooked near his tent or sleeping bag. In other parts of the country people are very naive about cooking near their sleeping bags and tents. I do remember an incident a couple years ago where the hiker cooked right next to the lean-to where he planned on sleeping in. A bear showed up and corner him in the lean-to. His clothing and sleeping bag smelled like food.

Selkie
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

Well, bears will be bears. And if this one was visibly walking around the edge of camp prior to addressing tent, there were probably some preexisting isssues.

But I don't know what happened.

(Here in the fair state of Illinois, there are numerous jury cases in which police officers are slated to give testimony. A standard question is: "Will you, the potential juror, give more weight to the police testimony?" There is only one correct answer; any other earns a dismissal from the jury pool.)

paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Jay w wrote:Over the years, I've met a couple rangers who "been in the park a bit too long." As in, they're heading back to the coal mine for another shift. So yeah, I definitely could imagine rangers blaming some campers who did everything right and the bear was just on a wild tear. Someone's got to be to blame, and it's not me.

Jay
When I picked up my permit a couple of weeks ago, I talked with the ranger about this. She was adamant that this person had food in the tent. She told me that they had pictures of it.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir

trippadoo

Post by trippadoo »

I say to the hiker, thanks for screwing up mine and everyone elses vacation/hike. Much appreciated. Will still hike to Granite Chalet, but now have to find an additional 2 day hike elsewhere. I have no clue yet what we will do for our 2 day excursion, but the long range forecast is looking sweet for the beginning of next week, hope it holds out!