Sun Road or Route 2?

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Sun Road or Route 2?

Postby solohiker5555 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:04 am

Starting from Kalispell at 4 pm and heading to Waterton: better to take Sun Rd or Route 2 if one is mainly concerned with minimizing the travel time??
solohiker5555

Re: Sun Road or Route 2?

Postby llholmes1948 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:35 am

My preference would be the Sun Road and I think it would be faster than U.S. 2 but that is just my opinion.

If I were to go U.S. 2 and time was a concern, I would take U.S. 2 to Browning and then take the Duck Lake Road (Route 464) to Babb. Route 49 out of East Glacier can be slow and Route 89 between Kiowa and St. Mary can be dreadful if you get stuck behind and RV or other slow traffic. Route 89 from Browning to Kiowa can be slow as well.

I will be interested in what others may have to say on this.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby dpratt » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:45 am

West Glacier to Babb, according to Google Maps:

via Going to the Sun Road is 58.8 miles, 1 hr 42 min
via US 2 and 464 is 103 miles, 1 hr 46 min
via US 2, 49 and 89 is 94.2 miles, 1 hr 57 min

Starting at 4:00 pm I would think the first route is your best option.
dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Postby paul » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:21 pm

I guess it all depends on how bad the traffic is on the Sun road. I think via US 2 and 464 would be the most consistent as far as time is concerned. I would go with the US 2 & 464 option because I'm easily frustrated by slow traffic when I'm trying to get some where quick.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
paul
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:04 pm

paul wrote:I guess it all depends on how bad the traffic is on the Sun road. I think via US 2 and 464 would be the most consistent as far as time is concerned. I would go with the US 2 & 464 option because I'm easily frustrated by slow traffic when I'm trying to get some where quick.

I agree with Paul. I've driven, and continue to drive, all three ways many times---all season long.
In my opinion you would be taking a big chance driving the Sun Road---if time is important to you.
With the record traffic in the park, "mishaps" on the Sun Road to delay traffic are more, not less, likely to occur. e.g.This past Saturday afternoon.
And it doesn't take much to tie up traffic on the GTTS road.
So as Dirty Harry once said, "Are you feeling lucky?" 8)

I can get from West Glacier to Babb in 2 hours, less if I don't stop to take pics, etc., without going over 70mph(the speed limit) on any given day.
Google says 4 minutes difference between choice 1&2...uh huh sure. :)

Go US2 to Browning and take 464 to Duck if you want the best chance of no delays.
PeteE

Postby cdsmith379 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:42 pm

If it were me (you asked) and time was of the essence I would take US 2. Every time i have drive The Sun Road there were always backups or slowdowns. Remember the shuttles run to 7 or 8pm so they will be stopping to pick up and drop off people.

If you don't mind being a little late and want a "twofer" i.e. stunning scenery take The Sun Road.
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:46 pm

dpratt wrote:West Glacier to Babb, according to Google Maps:

via Going to the Sun Road is 58.8 miles, 1 hr 42 min
via US 2 and 464 is 103 miles, 1 hr 46 min
via US 2, 49 and 89 is 94.2 miles, 1 hr 57 min

Starting at 4:00 pm I would think the first route is your best option.

Tuesday evening I drove back home to WF from Swiftcurrent via the GTTS road
I noted the time and mileage.
I left Babb at 8:46PM and arrived at the 4way Stop in Apgar at 10:22PM
So 1:36minutes and 59.3 miles. Close to the google time for that route.

However.... You don't have a hope in hell in duplicating that time driving at 4Pm and going West to East.
I drove absolutely non stop and drove speed limit or greater 90% of the way.
Zero delay at the 9 construction sites since they were not working at that hour; they will be when you drive it.

However, the good news is that while there are nine sites, not all are active all the time.
Usually they begin work at 0700 and work till 1700. However Tuesday AM at 0600 they were working on one site.
So driving the Sun Road risks not only heavy traffic delays, but delays at the construction site(s) that may be active.

Pounding a tack with a sledge hammer 8)

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby solohiker5555 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks for the advice, all. I ended up taking the Rte 2 and Duck Pond Road and was glad i did. Had a few 3-4 min stops for construction on the Rte 2 portion but no big deal and made it all the way to Waterton in just under 3 hours. A few weeks later went to/from Two Med via rte 2 and 49 (leaving Apgar around 7 am) and it was clear sailing both ways. GTS (and Logans Pass parking) is a zoo after 7/8 am, especially going west to east. A great drive for scenery but not for making great time on the road. Evening hours on GTS would be a better deal, as one of you said. Thanks.
solohiker5555

Return to Road Information and Transportation