Jackson Glacier Overlook to Sperry

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Jackson Glacier Overlook to Sperry

Postby equillen » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:22 pm

I have a group of 5 going to Sperry in a couple of weeks. We plan to stage one car at McDonald Lodge and had planned to spend the night before at Rising Sun. Will Rising Sun (cabins) reopen this year? Can a car be left at the overlook for 3 days? Is there a service/person in St. Mary/etc that I could hire to ferry us to the trailhead early on the first day? I'm aware of the Sperry shuttle and the free park shuttles but both seem a bit iffy and don't run until fairly late in the morning. I would appreciate any suggestions.
equillen

Re: Jackson Glacier Overlook to Sperry

Postby Jay w » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:39 pm

I just checked and the Gunsight Pass trail looks to be open (as of the 12th). Woohoo.

In a normal year, you can leave a car. This year, I'm not sure (without digging) if they've opened up parking along the road. You're right that the first shuttle will likely be full on the way up.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby Jen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:32 pm

Pete had said in another post that the Jackson overlook is outside of the fire perimeter and therefore open to overnight parking.
Jen

Postby trillerud » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:59 pm

Cars were parked at the overlook on Aug 18 (don't know about overnight)
trillerud

Return to Road Information and Transportation