2016 Plowing/Road Openings

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

2016 Plowing/Road Openings

Postby IndianaTom » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:18 am

According to NPS, They are seeing 2-3 times more snow than last year on Many Glacier and Two Medicine. Hopefully the park will have less fire danger.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/g ... status.cfm

"Plowing Activity for Spring, 2016
The West Lakes Road Crew worked on plowing the Going to the Sun Road to Red Rocks area. Along the road there were intermittent patches of ice and snow up to one foot. The Hudson Bay Road Crew began mobilizing equipment to Two Medicine Monday morning and are working on plowing through all the way to the parking area at the lake. Much like Many Glacier and Chief Mountain, we are seeing two to three times the amount of snow over last year. "
Last edited by IndianaTom on Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaTom

Re: 2016 Plowing/Road Openings

Postby PeteE » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:08 am

Odd that the NPS talking about all that snow in light of the "bear" post Lyman recently put up.
The road into Many Glacier was virtually snow free on March 19 when i was there. Yes, lots of snoew above 5000 ft or so...or it appears so.
Maybe CrookedWood will tell us more as he said he was going over there last weekend.

Pete
PeteE

Postby Me and Cass » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Your right, that is strange. I thought the spring was early, and the winter was relatively normal, so 2-3x the snow pack, doesn't sound right, but what do I know. I live in St. Paul, and we had a mild winter, and am hoping to make my first trek to GNP this summer.
"Wake up to find out that you are the Eyes of the World"
Me and Cass

Postby dpratt » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:13 pm

I didn't get to the Park for a while after moving here a year ago, so I can't really comment on the amount of snow there. There is definitely more snow this year than the same time last year in the Salish Mountains. Some of the logging roads are still covered; whereas last year I was exploring dry roads in early April. The temps here are supposed be in the 70's the next couple of days with plenty of sun, so that will likely change very quickly.
dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Postby IndianaTom » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:29 am

According to the status page. They are reporting 2 to 3 times more snow in the Jackson Overlook area.
IndianaTom

Postby PeteE » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:06 pm

There was a story this AM in the Interlake about the East Side plowing problems.
Also a story on the Many Glacier Hotel work.
Watch the slide for the stories
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby scott-atl » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:37 pm

Will be out June 7 to open up. Don't mind driving hwy 2 around to the eastside. Glad to hear about snow up high.

I know lots of folks that post here are from the twin cities and surrounds. Really sorry about Prince.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:47 pm

Article in the paper this morning saying they had to quit plowing due to avalanche activity up around Haystack Creek-- warm weather melting snow quickly.
Plus we are supposed to cool off tonight through the next 3-4 days with rain. That will delay plowing as well.

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby teapot57 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:07 pm

I read on the Glacier Facebook page that the Many Glacier road opened for vehicles today.
teapot57

Postby llholmes1948 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:02 am

As noted, the Many Glacier Road is open and also the Chief Mountain Road:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/members/m ... 324f2.html
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby Crooked Wood » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:38 pm

I spoke to a ranger at Avalanche this morning. They're opening the road to Avalanche soon (tomorrow?), but he could not say for sure, but he was putting up all the parking signs.

Also, the west side plow crew has started operations again, so you may be able to ride past the Loop this weekend.??

I was able to ride 2 miles past the loop before the restrictions a couple weeks ago, but ran into new snow and turned around.

I've been in the park a lot these past few weeks. I've been on a mission to ride and hike as much as I can before the road opens up more. It's just awesome to be the only one out there early in the mornings. I was able to get to Siyeh Bend, where they had stopped plowing. In 15 minutes I watched 3 avalanches come down in the Siyeh Creek drainage. I also watched a black bear investigate a utility trailer parked on the road above Jackson Overlook.

Harlequins and Bears are back, so keep an eye out for them.

You can check out my instagram page for some recent photos.

https://www.instagram.com/rabasak/
Crooked Wood

Postby Jay w » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:17 am

Nice stuff. I like the drop ceiling.

The guys on rollerskis. Did you hang around and watch then come down the mountain? I would think in some sections that it's steep enough that they'd have to do a lot of snowplowing. The Marwe rollerskis don't have brakes.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby Crooked Wood » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:40 am

I didn't watch them come down - I caught up with them again at Avalanche Lake.
They walked down from the Loop until about Goose Curve (above Logan Creek crossing). They were 2 strong guys, watching them go up the road.
The blonde haired guy is from the Estonian National Biathlon team and the other guy is the wax tech for the Canadian National Biathlon team, if you're into that sort of stuff.

Huh- the day before, they hiked to the Mt. Brown Lookout. They started at 4:30! Didn't get back until after 10 - no headlamps. Oh, to be young again...
They were pretty beat when they got back to the parking lot - that's about 24 miles of rollerskiing plus a hike. Of course I did the same distance, except on a bike, and I'm almost old. :mrgreen:

PS - The road is open to Avalanche today, and you should be able to ride beyond the Loop. You heard it here first!
http://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/04/29/going-to-the-sun-road-opens-to-avalanche-for-motorists/
Crooked Wood

Postby Jay w » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:13 pm

Thanks for the info, and I bet they were strong.

One year I brought rollerskis but forgot my poles. Hah.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby llholmes1948 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:26 am

Plow crews from the East side and West side have met at the Big Drift:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/members/e ... 29579.html
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Next

Return to Road Information and Transportation