Many Glacier Rd

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Many Glacier Rd

Postby Jay w » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:32 am

Many Glacier Road is now open. There's construction at the hotel, ranger station and campground (which is not open). Pete, it's time for your annual ice ax trip to Shangri-La.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Re: Many Glacier Rd

Postby PeteE » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:51 pm

Jay w wrote:Many Glacier Road is now open. There's construction at the hotel, ranger station and campground (which is not open). Pete, it's time for your annual ice ax trip to Shangri-La.

Jay

Might be a tad early for ShangriLa Jay 8)
Anyway, I'd probably whack my leg with an ice ax.

I might try to go on Wednesday/Thursday over to Many Glacier.
Go Wednesday and camp at St Mary if I can get in there. Then I'll have more time for hiking.

This clip was July 14th 2011 with Heff936 and MissGuinness and two others as we were going down to Iceberg Lake from ShangriLa.
2011 was a big snow year like this year.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=BdI_WUQn6II

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby teapot57 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:43 am

Would love to see how things are melting out in Many. The weather here in Calgary is supposed to take a turn for the better starting on Wednesday and it looks to be the same there, too. I hope your trip pans out, Pete!
teapot57

Postby PeteE » Mon May 01, 2017 2:17 pm

teapot57 wrote:Would love to see how things are melting out in Many. The weather here in Calgary is supposed to take a turn for the better starting on Wednesday and it looks to be the same there, too. I hope your trip pans out, Pete!

Hey Tina :)

Thanks! I'll try to get some good snaps of Many Glacier and maybe around Rising Sun.
I talked to "Boss Lady" this morning and she's good with me leaving Wednesday after work and returning Friday morning. :D
I'll camp at St Mary.

I'm thinking of where to go early Thursday morning for pics?
I'm sure most trails are still at least partly snow covered if not totally.
Go up the Grinnell Glacier trail as far as possible--safely!
If I can get out what? 2 1/2 miles and above where the boat dock trail intersects the main trail, maybe I'll have a view(s) worth shooting?

Or go out Swiftcurrent to Redrock Falls?

I can look at things when I get there, but I have a feeling the Iceberg Lake trail would be tough going[for me].
There is also the question of those snow fields that cross the trail once out of the trees going out.
Is there still a chance of avalanches in that area? I know it slides occasionally.

Iceberg Lake might have to wait a while 8)
For now, I just hope the forecast holds.

cheers

Last edited by PeteE on Mon May 01, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteE

Postby Jay w » Mon May 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Pete, the go to shot for me is climbing up a bit on Appikuni looking towards Grinnell Glacier valley. Tony B had that shot (with snow) and it was killer. I know it's a lot of work and the sheep may be lambing (I think that's the term), but it was a great shot. Worth a metal print at Walgreens. I hope that slope is not closed yet.

I'm sure the whole area is interesting with snow.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Mon May 01, 2017 8:15 pm

Jay w wrote:Pete, the go to shot for me is climbing up a bit on Appikuni looking towards Grinnell Glacier valley. Tony B had that shot (with snow) and it was killer. I know it's a lot of work and the sheep may be lambing (I think that's the term), but it was a great shot. Worth a metal print at Walgreens. I hope that slope is not closed yet.

I'm sure the whole area is interesting with snow.

Jay

Yeah, I can see where that would be a good shot given the sun is rising at a nearly right angle as you look SW toward Grinnell Glacier valley.
Same angle as this month--about 64deg--only days getting longer instead of shorter as in August.
However, I'm pretty sure they close the area west of Apikuni Creek/falls for humans on May 1st.

Sooo... I believe I'm going to go up the Grinnell Glacier trail as far as I can. If that turns out to be a no go, then I have time to do something else.
Last time I went out the Swiftcurrent Pass trail early in may, it was a pain. The snow was either 2 feet deep or bare ground.
It made using snowshoes a hassle, but without them I was postholing a lot. I'm not doing that again.

I'm staying Thursday night so I can hike till dark in necessary.
Or depending on the weather go somewhere for a nice sunset if that looks possible.
I'll have some sort of cold breakfast so I can get out early.
Or cook something in the picnic area if the weather sucks bad. Not likely at this point :D

The truth is I have no clue where I'll end up Thursday morning.
I'm not much of a "planner" these days!
Go with the flow....
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

PeteE

Postby PeteE » Wed May 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Unfortunately, the trip to the east side is off. :(
Some things came up.
So maybe Mother's Day weekend :)

PeteE

Postby llholmes1948 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Pete,

Sorry to hear that your trip to the East Side was cancelled. We look forward to your photos and report whenever you have a chance to go.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:39 pm

2 minutes. Sort of self explanatory 8)
https://youtu.be/gkiboe0rCgs
PeteE

Return to Road Information and Transportation