The International Turns 90

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

The International Turns 90

Postby llholmes1948 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:34 am

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Re: The International Turns 90

Postby Calgary Ray » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Hello, Lyman:

Thanks for posting that link to the Flathead Beacon article on the Motor Vessel International.

Unfortunately, the article is riddled with errors, a few of which I'll mention to make my point.

In the first paragraph, the article indicates the Canada-U.S. border is at the 45th Parallel. Methinks the reporter meant 49th. So does that mean Montana's now in Canada?

The article says the International is "oldest wooden boat operating in Canada." I can't immediately verify that, but the S.S. Klondike in Whithorse, Yukon, was launched in 1921 and is still afloat, although may not be operating.
The S.S. Keewatin, launched in 1907 for Canadian Pacific Railways, is apparently still operating as a museum ship.

The article also states, "The wooden materials for Waterton’s flagship vessel were milled in Kalispell in 1927, transported by railcar to the town of Cardston, Alberta, and hauled by horseback to Goat Haunt in Glacier National Park." The materials for the International were floated on a scow from Waterton townsite to Goat Haunt, not hauled on horseback.

Finally, the article states, "The 165-passenger boat was finished in 1927 after two months of labor and launched in 1928." It was launched in September 1927 for initial trials and inspections, and began operations in 1928.

I could go on, but you get the point.

The article has a nice tone, but factually it's poorly researched/written.

Why the reporter, Tristan Scott, who knows me and my research on Waterton and Glacier, didn't call me is a mystery. I would have referred him to my writing partner, Chris Morrison, as we did a history of the vessel, which we published in 1993, and Chris has since done a more extensive history of the vessel which she published just recently.
Calgary Ray

Re: The International Turns 90

Postby llholmes1948 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:09 am

Good Morning Ray,

Thanks very much for pointing out those errors and providing the correct information. The International has a great history and does not need any incorrect information.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Return to Road Information and Transportation