Kintla Lake to Bowman Lake - Labor Day Weekend

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Kintla Lake to Bowman Lake - Labor Day Weekend

Postby Ohanman19 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:23 pm

Hey everybody,

Planning to do Kintla to Bowman this weekend, Saturday - Tuesday and only have 1 car in my group. Was wondering if anybody else is going and doing this hike in either direction? Would be awesome to switch keys with somebody along the route to make car swap happen. Not set on going specific direction. Might change depending on what permits we are able to get, but wanted to get an idea if anybody is willing to help out or give this a go. If we can even get a ride to one of the starting points that'd be a huge help so we can end the hike at our car. Appreciate any help!!

Andrew
Ohanman19

Re: Kintla Lake to Bowman Lake - Labor Day Weekend

Postby PeteE » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:39 pm

Ohanman19 wrote:Hey everybody,

Planning to do Kintla to Bowman this weekend, Saturday - Tuesday and only have 1 car in my group. Was wondering if anybody else is going and doing this hike in either direction? Would be awesome to switch keys with somebody along the route to make car swap happen. Not set on going specific direction. Might change depending on what permits we are able to get, but wanted to get an idea if anybody is willing to help out or give this a go. If we can even get a ride to one of the starting points that'd be a huge help so we can end the hike at our car. Appreciate any help!!

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Welcome to the chat! :)
I hate to tell you but you need a plan B.

Looking at the link I provided, there is virtually no chance of getting that Bowman to Kintla itinerary in either direction via a "walk up" permit.

BOU, UPK, BOW, HOL, BRO, FRAN are all booked and have nothing available through Sept 1 and some Sept 2.
And my guess is that by close of tomorrow they'll be booked past those dates.

Don't try doing it without a permit. The Back Country Rangers have been alerted to that problem.

Sites available as of close of day 8/30/17
https://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/ ... status.cfm

pete :wink:
PeteE

Re: Kintla Lake to Bowman Lake - Labor Day Weekend

Postby paul » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:55 pm

It's good to have a plan B but you can always try for your first preference. Sometimes people cancel their permits. Maybe you can stay at UPK for a couple of nights and then get HOL or BOU for the third night, by the time you get to the 4th night BOW should be open. The longer your permit is, the easier it is to get walk-in sites.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
paul
Donator
Donator

Return to Road Information and Transportation