Logistics for Goat Haunt to Kintla in September

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Logistics for Goat Haunt to Kintla in September

Postby jess.guernsey » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:10 am

My friend and I got permits for Sep 10-15 starting at Goat Haunt Trailhead, then FRA, HOL, BOU, UPK, KIN. We are STOKED!! The only trouble is that logistics look like they're going to be vexing. We will have a rental car to leave at one end of the traverse, although we probably wouldn't leave it parked in Waterton. (We were thinking to leave it at Kintla so that we could packout in one fell swoop.) I guess my first question is how likely is it that we'd be able to hitchhike in early-mid September? I heard the park is a lot quieter during this time of year. I also wonder if there's some kind of ride board that we could post to closer to our trip, or a key exchange or something. Any advice is very much appreciated!!

Jess
jess.guernsey

Re: Logistics for Goat Haunt to Kintla in September

Postby orin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:10 am

It is hard to imagine worse logistics than this one. Hitching is probably your only option. Kintla to Apgar is possible and you might even be able to arrange a ride beforehand. Apgar to St. Mary is possible. I think the shuttle buses will have shut down already. St. Mary to Babb is possible. Babb to Waterton is more difficult because of the border crossing. So if you have a couple of extra days and some luck you might be able to do it. It is also possible you might get stuck somewhere especially at the border. You may have to decide if the trip is worth renting two cars.
orin

Postby jess.guernsey » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:57 am

Thanks for responding, Orin. The shuttle that runs from Waterton to Chief Mtn Customs and back will be running, and we can reserve it ahead of time, so we wouldn't necessarily have to take a rental car into Canada. Would it make sense to rent a car in Kalispell (in addition to the rental we're driving up from Boulder, CO), leave it at Kintla, then drive to Chief Mt Customs, take the shuttle to Waterton, and come back for the second car after our hike? I'm just really worried that there won't be enough people around to rely on hitching.
jess.guernsey

Postby orin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:09 pm

If I had your itinerary I would swap Goat Haunt for upper Bowman Lake. Doing that shouldn't be hard. It preserves all the best parts of your trip and makes the logistics much easier. At the end you are 20 miles from your car rather than 200 miles and hitching a ride or biking or even walking are much easier.

If you have your heart set on Goat Haunt and Canada (it is very nice) then two cars is the way to go if the cost is doable. I would try to find a rental that allowed Canada and skip all the shuttles but you could easily leave a car at the border crossing and shuttle to Waterton.
orin

Postby PeteE » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:21 pm

I was looking at exactly the same problem last year.

Friends were doing Chief Mountain to Kintla. I agreed to meet them at Kindle Lake CG and take them to their car parked at the Apgar Visitor Center.( which I ultimately did)

They invited me to join them at Lake Francis and finish the trip with them. I would park my rig at Kintla, get local friends to help me get from Kintla to the border.

That plan didn't work out. Partly because I was concerned about my fitness for doing the last leg from UPK on out--about 12 miles.

Soooo...you may have to allow a day or two on either or both ends of your itinerary to solve your transportation problems. The extra time and planning will be well worth it. You have what some consider a "dream trip" camping at some of GNP's best spots in a spectacularly beautiful area of Glacier Park.

So if you can, adding a couple days to your trip to solve the transport issue would be well worth doing to do the great trip you got.

Maybe Paul or Heff936 can offer some guidance.

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby wnysteve » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:32 pm

orin wrote:If I had your itinerary I would swap Goat Haunt for upper Bowman Lake. Doing that shouldn't be hard. It preserves all the best parts of your trip and makes the logistics much easier. At the end you are 20 miles from your car rather than 200 miles and hitching a ride or biking or even walking are much easier.

Orin's suggestion is exactly what I was going to advise. There is not that much in the way of scenery between Goat Haunt and FRA, and it greatly simplifies your logistics. As for things quieting down in the way of traffic after Labor Day, yes it does, but that is in comparison to August chaos.
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Ha!!! Sorry
I missed that part of Orin's post.
Going in at Bowman Lake would make for a much easier trip.

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby paul » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:25 pm

Yep, I think what Orin suggested is your best option. The transportation logistics of Waterton to Kintla are a nightmare and as others have suggested you wouldn't miss much by starting a Bowman lake instead. By the way, you also get to camp at Bowman lake head which is quite nice.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
paul
Donator
Donator

Postby jess.guernsey » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks for your thoughts! We are pretty devoted to starting in Canada, and if we had a couple more nights, we would have gone for the whole northern traverse, which would present similar logistical difficulties. So, we're perhaps stupidly stubborn.
jess.guernsey

Postby orin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:22 pm

In that case I think two cars is your only real option because as Pete said you are going to need a couple extra days to deal with transportation otherwise. That should work OK but costs more.
orin

Postby Sue Z » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:18 pm

FWIW, I don't remember having any trouble taking rental cars into Canada a few years ago. It was allowed by the rental company. Left one in the parking lot by the tour boat in Waterton.
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Postby al_in_al » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:02 pm

Sue Z wrote:FWIW, I don't remember having any trouble taking rental cars into Canada a few years ago. It was allowed by the rental company. Left one in the parking lot by the tour boat in Waterton.

Yes, every car I've rented in Kalispell has been allowed across the border, so no problem there. I'd definitely park in Canada and not have to worry about the shuttle.
al_in_al

Return to Road Information and Transportation