Great Falls Airport

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Great Falls Airport

Postby cdsmith379 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:07 am

For those who are as distressed as I was about the cost of flights into and out of Kalispell, try Great Falls. Flight and rental car were almost HALF the price of flying into and out of FCA. Great Falls is only two hours or so from East Glacier.
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Re: Great Falls Airport

Postby tibber » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:06 am

cdsmith379 wrote:For those who are as distressed as I was about the cost of flights into and out of Kalispell, try Great Falls. Flight and rental car were almost HALF the price of flying into and out of FCA. Great Falls is only two hours or so from East Glacier.

and there are several different routes to drive to the Park; all of them pretty I think. I always fly into GTF but then again, I usually head out to the ranch before or after Glacier. It's always the cheaper route. And last year they upgraded our rental to a fancy sport Range Rover which was a challenge and amusing vehicle to drive.
tibber

Re: Great Falls Airport

Postby llholmes1948 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:07 pm

I will certainly agree with cd and Tibber's remarks. We have had great experiences flying in and out of Great Falls and if you are going to the east side of the Park it is very convenient anyway. There have been a few times that we have found Great Falls rates to be no better than Kalispell's but usually Great Falls is better.

If people are flying in or out of Great Falls I recommend spending a day there and going to the Lewis and Clark Center (and the adjacent Giant Spring) and the CM Russell Museum. Those are great places.

It is also good to check out the car rental rates at various airports when travelling to Glacier. There was a time about 10 years ago as I recall when Great Falls and Missoula were the only airports near Glacier with agencies offering unlimited miles cars (except for Enterprise in Whitefish which still offered unlimited miles then but they weren't at the airport). In recent years this hasn't been a problem and unlimited mileage cars have been available at Kalispell. If anyone has any recent experience perhaps they can post it.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Return to Road Information and Transportation