Beartooth Bear Attack

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Beartooth Bear Attack

Postby Jay w » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:26 pm

The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Re: Beartooth Bear Attack

Postby Pizza Bob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:44 pm

The injured hiker is the brother-in-law of a friend of mine. We’ve traded a few emails
regarding the incident. Sometimes you are simply at the wrong place at the wrong time.
It was a close call, but appears it turned out well all things considered.

I did mention that I carry my bear spray on my backpack’s chest strap. It is always visible
and accessible from either arm. When you need it you need it fast! And if you have to take it
out always remove the safety immediately — it’s one less thing to deal with. I made that mistake
at Swiftcurrent Pass when encountering Momma Bear and 2 two year old cubs, who fortunately
just continued walking past us! I have no idea whether there was time to deploy spray in this incident.

I also mentioned that I carry an InReach (now Garmin) satellite phone. It allows sending texts
that are automatically stamped with current GPS coordinates from nearly anywhere. This would have
greatly reduced the the delay in contacting and receiving help.

Still need to get certified in Wilderness First Aid. It’s on my “To Do” list.
You can always earn more money, but you can't earn more time
Pizza Bob

Postby PeteE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:20 pm

pizza bob wrote:I did mention that I carry my bear spray on my backpack’s chest strap. It is always visible
and accessible from either arm. When you need it you need it fast!

Yes, I like carrying my bear spray like you carry yours for same reason.

I have this ResQLink device that my sister "jawboned" me into getting 4 years ago since I go out alone frequently. 8)
The "system" this device utilizes is the best in the world.
More details here:

https://www.rei.com/product/843146/acr- ... tor-beacon

ResQLink is strictly for "rescue". You push the button and that's all you do; help will be on the way.
PeteE

Postby TnTammy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:53 am

Thanks for posting this story Jay.
As you know, Mike and I went in for a backpack in the Beartooths some years back and started at Island Lake. Our trek wasn’t far from Clay Butte Lookout. Glad we had taken the precautions of bear canisters, bear spray and PLB’s. We found that not all of the lakes there have trees for bearbagging.

Relieved to hear that the victim of the attack is making good progress.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Postby Pizza Bob » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:35 pm

PeteE wrote:
I have this ResQLink device that my sister "jawboned" me into getting 4 years ago since I go out alone frequently. 8)
The "system" this device utilizes is the best in the world.
More details here:

https://www.rei.com/product/843146/acr- ... tor-beacon

ResQLink is strictly for "rescue". You push the button and that's all you do; help will be on the way.

One advantage with the satellite phone is that I can text my wife from Logan Pass on my way home, and hopefully
coordinate so a hot dinner awaits me when I arrive :D

It also provides the ability to get help if I’m driving thru an area with no cell service and have car troubles.
You can always earn more money, but you can't earn more time
Pizza Bob

Return to General Glacier Discussion