Mid June trip

Let us know when you will be visiting,

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Mid June trip

Postby andestmichael » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 pm

Hello all, new member and first time to GNP. Will be going in East Glacier to Ole Lake, Park Creek, Upper Park Creek to Two Medicine then out East Glacier! Looking forward to a later trip in August as well.
andestmichael

Re: Mid June trip

Postby Ear Mountain » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:48 am

Welcome!
Two things come to mind without knowing your actual route.
1. Lingering heavy snow from this winter on Two Medicine Pass and Firebrand Pass may prevent you from crossing those passes in mid June.

2. There are two crossings of Ole Creek below Ole Lake that may still be experiencing spring high water flows. These crossings are unbridged and may be difficult to cross in mid June.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Postby andestmichael » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Valid points I knew it would be iffy based on weather. Just changed trip to last week in July. Thanks!
andestmichael

Postby andestmichael » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Any suggestions on how to get to Kintla? I would love to do that to Bowman route actually more than Fireband....
andestmichael

Postby Sue Z » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:16 am

andestmichael wrote:Any suggestions on how to get to Kintla? I would love to do that to Bowman route actually more than Fireband....

Kintla to Bowman is one of the best routes in the park, IMHO, and is in high demand. You'll need some luck and some strategy to get a permit.

Not much you can do about the luck. I heard they were going back to a random lottery this year, rather than first come, first served. If so, submit your permit request on time and hope for a low lottery number.

Regarding strategy, the more flexible you are with dates and campgrounds, the better your chances of getting your trip. If you can accept anything in a 5-week window, for example, you'll have a better chance than if you only give them a 1-week window to work with. And if you're willing to accept campgrounds other than your first choices, you'll have a better chance, as well.

Make sure your dates start late enough in the season to avoid snow hazards. There's at least one on that route that I'm aware of - I think it's between BOU and HOL. Maybe someone here knows when that typically melts out (although there are no guarantees with the weather).

My trip was UPK to BOU to HOL to BOW. All of those sites were nice. If you can manage to stay at BOU, I recommend hanging your pack at the camp and scrambling up to the top of Boulder Peak.
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Postby andestmichael » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:09 pm

Thank you. Unfortunately my trip dates are set but yes I am flexible on route. I have been looking too for info on off trail camp permits? I would be fine not being in the camp. Also I do have a lifetime pass to all parks so not sure if that is just an entrance pass or if that covers other fees/permits...
andestmichael

Postby PeteE » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:39 pm

andestmichael wrote:Thank you. Unfortunately my trip dates are set but yes I am flexible on route. I have been looking too for info on off trail camp permits? I would be fine not being in the camp. Also I do have a lifetime pass to all parks so not sure if that is just an entrance pass or if that covers other fees/permits...

"Off Trail Permits" in Glacier are almost certainly not going to be an option for you.
They are usually only given to mountaineers in cases where an off trail camp is necessary to do a particular peak located in a remote location within the park.
Ear Mountain may be able to expand on/correct my reasoning.
SueZ gave you a good response to your question regarding the BOU-BOW route.
IF you get a "walk up" permit for that route(see PS below), your biggest challenge will then be arranging transportation/shuttling.
It's a familiar problem for everyone here on the chat board 8)
Check in the other forums like Trip Reports for how others managed this issue.

good luck in the permit process!
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/ ... ations.htm

pete :wink:

PS

Last week of July is usually a great week to be here... imo.
Unfortunately, you can't reserve some campsites like HOL before Aug 1.
However, that does NOT mean you can't get a "walk up" permit after you get here.
Permit issue would then depend on the state of the campsite in question.
Campsites are not opened until they have dried out, pit toilets functional, bear poles erected, etc.

Permit issue could also turn on whether or not your requested route is open.
An example of that is the infamous "Ahern Drift" on the Northern Highline. That has to be cleared well enough for safe travel.

If you don't draw a permit in the lottery, a"walk up" permit is also a great way to get a good trip.
Many folks have gotten great itineraries using the walk up process after they arrive.
I believe most folks here would agree on that point.
PeteE

Postby paul » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:43 am

andestmichael wrote:Thank you. Unfortunately my trip dates are set but yes I am flexible on route. I have been looking too for info on off trail camp permits? I would be fine not being in the camp. Also I do have a lifetime pass to all parks so not sure if that is just an entrance pass or if that covers other fees/permits...

I think you mean an undesignated camping permit. Normally you can only camp in designated campsites in the glacier back country. The reason for this is that the park service is trying to limit the human impact on park's backcountry. The park service does issue camping permits for undisignated campsites if there is a good reason for it. For instance if you are climbing a mountain that is far from any designated camp sites and would it require excessive effort to access without camping closer. I don't think the park service will issue an undesignated permit to you if you are just trying to get an alternate type permit for camping. It's just meant for special cases.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
paul
Donator
Donator

Postby andestmichael » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:48 pm

Great info thank you so much! That cleared up some concerns for sure. Either way after I submit my request and if I have to walk in permit I am sure it will be quite the visit and not the only trip.
andestmichael

Postby andestmichael » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:53 pm

Just got in today and hitting the trail in the morning. Wondering how much being in the valleys at night cools off the temperatures. Also when looking at a east glacier weather report I'm wondering what altitude those temps reflect? Anyone?
andestmichael

Postby Fairbanks142 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:52 am

The higher the altitude, the cooler the temps. You can go to noaa.gov and use the interactive map to get the 7-day forecast for any location, any altitude, in the park. (At noaa.gov, choose your location in the top right corner above the search box. Then click to view the full local forecast and use the interactive map that you'll see as you scroll down on the right.)

Here's the forecast for 7400' elevation near Logan Pass:
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... ThFVOhKjIU

And here's the forecast for 4800' elevation closer to St. Mary:
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... ThFl-hKjIU
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:08 am

Local cloud cover has a large influence on morning temps.
Early Sunday morning about 0630 when I was at Logan Pass, there was frost on the boardwalk because the atmosphere was very clear Saturday night and in the AM.
"Radiational Cooling" effect.
So it was cold enough for frost to form. Temps warmed up quickly though as the sun came up.

pete :wink:
PeteE

Return to 2019 Trip Dates