Will Winter Ever End?????

Looking for weather information?

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Will Winter Ever End?????

Postby Matt S. » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:19 am

I love winter, it's my favorite season. I'm a marathon XC Skier and I enjoy the quiet of the woods and skiing with friends in Wisconsin and Minnesota. If anyone knows where Greenbush is (south of Elkhart Lake, WI), I skied this year until March 31, on good groomed snow. Skied 2-3 hours after a 10 hour day at work and enjoyed a beautiful sunset to boot. 8) 8)

But this is getting RIDICOLOUS, especially in Montana. And yes, its downright cold back here in east central Wisconsin. As for Montana, I expecting to go on 2 backpacking trips in early August, but looking at the webcam and the forecast, I can easily see that the warmer season in Glacier in WAY, WAY, WAY behind and its going to take ALOT, and I mean ALOT of warm days to melt ALL of the snow that fell this winter. We got nearly 100" in northern KM (twice the normal), but I heard Glacier got 3-4X and it was brutally cold, not just cold like us. AND yep, you guessed it, the snow is still falling heavily. Browning got 12" overnight and expecting another foot by tomorrow. Think about the totals in the mountains!!! :shock: :shock:

I'm one who's hoping for a nice warm mid May-September (Montana and upper midwest), so if winter wants to go away, I would be glad to have it back in early November. :lol: :lol: I also would take a perfect sunny and dry week and a half from July 30-August 10 in Glacier if ya know what I mean. :wink: :wink:
Matt S.

Re: Will Winter Ever End?????

Postby toddnick » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:38 am

It has been an unusual year here in Buffalo as well. I did 14.5 miles this morning in 40-50 mph winds; the last hour hail was pelting my face.....the last two winter's we had almost no snow after February....
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Postby Pocketlint » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:04 pm

Matt:

You see my video from Marias Pass I made yesterday?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UItTqt4X2g4

I woke up to snow falling this morning here in Whitefish. It has since gone to rain though.
No doubt in my mind that the snowpack is still building in the mountains, especially above 7000 ft. This is the most snow I've seen this late in the 10 years I've been here.

The snow has been melting off(or rained off) on lower elevations. Temps have been cold enough for all snow at the higher elevations...above ~7000ft in my amatuer meteorologist opinion :wink:

I saw a report in the paper last week where Siyeh Bend had over 100 inches on the ground.
Makes me wonder how deep it is in Preston Park.

Snow is funny stuff. As a Southern rednect I've always been fascinated by snow. Wind can cause it to accumulate(or not) in ways we sometimes don't expect or necessarily understand.

We still have all of May to look forward to....and snow in May is not unusual at all for this area. I was here in 2002 and Early June saw a big dump, 2-3 feet in places, in the park.

pocketlint :wink:
Pocketlint

Postby dorf » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:19 pm

I just did a little quick and dirty research on Snotel for Flattop ( a top 5 snow year since records were kept for this particular station). IF history holds, you're looking at the 3rd week in July until it melts out up there. It's the same story for most of the northern rockies which doesn't bother me a bit. Hiking off trail on snow .....

...is a LOT easier that boulder hopping :D

So many mountains, so little time.
dorf

Postby daveparker » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:47 pm

Well as of 11pm this evening, we have recorded a total of 236" in snowfall here at the house, but the afternoons are getting brighter and the snow is melting off in the afternoons, but it has indeed been a strong year around these parts, I am seeing creeks where I have never seen them before and the gravel road from my house into town is a raging river every afternoon when it warms up. On the bright side, should be a low fire danger year!
daveparker
Site Admin

Postby perzeetorres » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:33 pm

We're going north to Banff for the end of June.... anyone know how they are comparing to Glacier? We will have the kids with us. They will be 7 this summer, so no long back pack trips, but would really like to do a few around Lake Louise and Banff.
perzeetorres

Postby Jay w » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:51 pm

I think this year is great. The winter was probably the best one I remember. I think the mid- or early-90s were also very good, but the thing is, we had 10 years of bad years (poor snow). But, Glacier.

1. Lots of snow is good for the Glaciers, and I'd like to see the Glaciers add some volume even if it's for one year.
2. If Glacier (Nat'l Park) was warm, it would be popular like the Grand Canyon or one of the Utah parks. Cold and snow keeps out the rift-raft.
3. Snow is good for the soul, especially when you're a skier. Biking can wait.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby trevbo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:23 am

Dorf: 1st photo... very cool shot! Where is that?

Perzeetorres: snowpack is above average for banff but not as high above average as glacier/waterton... Snowpack at sunshine and skoki are about 15 to 20% higher than average.

check out http://www.environment.alberta.ca/apps/basins/default.aspx and select snow data and click on the mp near banff
trevbo

Postby Hockey Ref » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:21 am

From looking at the webcams this morning (4/21), it looks like winter still has a very firm grip on Glacier this year.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Hockey Ref
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Postby Pocketlint » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:35 am

Still Winter all over around here. I went to Fort Harrison(Helena) Tuesday. The Swan area still has quite a bit of snow on the ground down low. Up high is buried. More snow coming too. Rain/snow mix looking out my window it's rain/snow mix here in Whitefish.

Pocketlint

Postby Pocketlint » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:06 am

Red emphasis is mine. Looks like more heavy mountain snow is coming.

This is from National Weather Service Missoula's "discussion" on their forecast

.DISCUSSION...A VERY STRONG CLOSED LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM NOW OVER
NORTHWEST WASHINGTON WILL SLOWLY MOVE ACROSS THE NORTHERN ROCKIES
TODAY THROUGH FRIDAY. THIS LOW WILL TAP INTO ABUNDANT MOISTURE
NOW IN PLACE OVER SOUTHERN OREGON. THE CLOSED LOW WILL TRACK OVER
CENTRAL IDAHO INTO SOUTHWEST MONTANA. THE CLOSED NATURE OF THIS
LOW WILL ENHANCE LIFT AND INSTABILITY AND WRAP AROUND MOISTURE.
THIS COMBINED WITH THE SLOW PROGRESS THROUGH THE REGION WILL
PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATING SNOWS IN THE MOUNTAINS...ESPECIALLY
FOR THE END OF APRIL.
TRAVEL OVER THE PASSES WILL BE IMPACTED AND
BECOME DIFFICULT AT TIMES. WINTER WEATHER ADVISORIES REMAIN IN
EFFECT. THIS IS A COLD SYSTEM. SNOW LEVELS WILL DROP TO THE VALLEY
FLOORS. WRAP AROUND MOISTURE FROM THIS LOW MAY ALSO PRODUCE
ACCUMULATING SNOWS IN SOME VALLEYS AS SNOW LEVELS DROP TO THE
VALLEY FLOORS. THE MOST FAVORED AREAS FOR THE MOST ACCUMULATING
SNOWS DEPENDS WHERE THE 700 MB LOW DEVELOPS AND TRACKS. CURRENTLY
MODELS SHOW THE LOW TRACKING THROUGH SOUTHWEST MONTANA WHICH WOULD
BE FAVORABLE FOR VALLEY SNOWS IN THE BUTTE REGION AND NORTH ALONG
THE CONTINENTAL DIVIDE UP TOWARD ESSEX AND INTO GLACIER NATIONAL
PARK. STAY TUNED FOR FURTHER UPDATES
Pocketlint

Postby Hockey Ref » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:45 am

Re. the boulder hopping photo above, I did something like this in New Zealand back in 2004 with my daughter. Lots of hand-over-hand scrambling on boulders the size of school buses and larger. An amazing day in an amazing country.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Hockey Ref
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Return to Weather