2019 "Snaps" Around Gracier National Park...plus

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: 2019 "Snaps" Around Gracier National Park...plus

Postby tibber » Thu May 09, 2019 11:35 am

Nice report and cool to catch the jump. Also interesting about the water flow and lake level.
tibber

Postby Jay w » Sun May 12, 2019 6:17 am

Keep it coming Peter D. I think the last time I was at Avalanche was with you. (I just made, and got Julie coffee, it is Mother's Day after all.)

Beautiful day here in the Shitties, but Duluth got 10 inches of snow this week. Keeps the rift raft down.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Sun May 12, 2019 11:53 am

Jay w wrote:Keep it coming Peter D. I think the last time I was at Avalanche was with you. (I just made, and got Julie coffee, it is Mother's Day after all.)

Beautiful day here in the Shitties, but Duluth got 10 inches of snow this week. Keeps the rift raft down.

Jay

Wow! I am losing it. I don't remember going to Avalanche with you... :?
Anyway...Happy Mothers Day to Julie!

I should have some pics up later today. I camped at St Mary Friday and Saturday night.
Was gonna try to go to Iceberg Lake, but...
Talked to a fellow MT photographer Sat. morning about 0630 who tried going out Friday. He said the snow got to be a pain in the ass about a mile and a half out....post holing.
Plus he said he heard a HUGE avalanche come down somewhere up towards the lake.
So I was hanging around after cooking my oatmeal trying to decide what to do when I heard a BIG avalanche come down out towards Iceberg Lake.

I ended up hiking up to Apikuni Falls with 8 ladies from the Great Falls area( I think this is their site).
https://www.girlsinglacier.com/

Nice hike described well here. Short but steep. 8)
http://www.hikinginglacier.com/apikuni-falls.htm

Just for the hell of it I put on microspikes(better traction on dirt and scree as well as snow) and climbed up roughly 200ft on the steep slope of rock and scree at the bottom of the falls.
I stopped at a point about even with the top of the falls. Video later.
I thought maybe I could find a way up to the valley above. However, after looking the snow filled gaps in the cliffs(pictured below), I thought better of it. 8)
The one route that looked doable was really too steep to cross safely and the run out was zilch--suicidal.
So I ended up scrambling around up there traversing some gnarly terrain where I eventually found the "mountaineering trail" we used.
Parts of it were still buried in snow but that was OK. Just had to bushwhack a little finding a reasonably safe way around and down.
I like doing that stuff.

Sorting my gear and airing out sleeping bag, etc.
Will post some pics and video later today.

pete :wink:

From ~200ft down below on the Apikuni Falls trail, the snow here didn't look all that steep. 8)
And it looked like one could get to the valley once across the snow.
But as you can see here, it is quite steep.
Another factor is that unless you are intimately familiar with the terrain, it's hard to know just what's under that snow.
Might be rock just beneath the snow surface, or a waist deep "hole".
In either case, it wasn't worth thinking about when I got to this point.
So I just had a fun day scrambling around in the cliffs getting some snaps.
later...

The ladies I followed up to the falls. The last couple hundred yards still had snow a foot or more deep. :D
PeteE

Postby teapot57 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:01 pm

Aw Pete . . . I was THIS close to driving out to Many Glacier yesterday. I had heard it was still quite snowy, so I decided to wait a couple weeks, and did a local ten mile hike instead. Would have been fun to bump into you- I’m sure I would have recognized your truck at the trailhead. Sure was a beautiful day. Looking forward to your pics.
teapot57

Postby PeteE » Sun May 12, 2019 8:41 pm

teapot57 wrote:Aw Pete . . . I was THIS close to driving out to Many Glacier yesterday. I had heard it was still quite snowy, so I decided to wait a couple weeks, and did a local ten mile hike instead. Would have been fun to bump into you- I’m sure I would have recognized your truck at the trailhead. Sure was a beautiful day. Looking forward to your pics.

Hi Tina! :)
I think you made the right decision to not come.

EDIT ADD:

With the exception of a handful of people...
After looking at the responses, especially this year.
I believe this chat board is pretty close to "dead".
So I'm wasting my time with these posts.
And with gasoline approaching $3.00/gal plus maintenance and other expenses...
I'm also wasting money I can't afford to spend traveling to make the photos for these posts.
Therefore I think I'll save my time and spend my money on me.
Last edited by PeteE on Wed May 15, 2019 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Sun May 12, 2019 9:20 pm

pete
Last edited by PeteE on Wed May 15, 2019 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteE

Postby teapot57 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:31 pm

Are you a member of the ladies group WoW based in Waterton?
"Katie" from the Girls in Glacier mentioned it. Apparently several women's hiking groups in the general area.

I was actually on the mailing list for the GIGers group you met up with! Katie is an amazing group leader. In addition to arranging great hikes and clearly communicating rules, guidelines and expectations that provide for everyone’s safety, she also sends out really informative emails, with links to gear sales, hiking tips, etc. She pairs down her email list every once in awhile, understandably, as her mailings are quite large and administratively she just had to cut people that are not active participants. Last summer, I had signed up for one hike with the group, which was later cancelled. I was then unable to get to the Park much last summer after our Northern Traverse because of some family issues that needed attention, so I was cut from the list.

I met a few members of the Waterton based group on my way down from Scenic Point back in 2017, but am not a part of that group. In the next year or two, I will have less commitments and a hopefully a more flexible schedule that allows me to be a more active participant in these groups.
teapot57

Postby teapot57 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:37 pm

Off trail again. This was one of the more difficult spots to descend. Very steep and poor footing in the loose scree and small stuff.

I remember you telling me on this stretch (or close by) that there is no shame in sliding down on your behind. I have passed that advice along quite often. :D

Great photos! I want to get back up there! Natahki Lake . . . who’s in?! MarxMn????
teapot57

Postby MarxMN » Sun May 12, 2019 10:13 pm

I am in for Natahki Lake. After several previous attempts, one of these years I will get there.

Bill
MarxMN
Donator
Donator

Postby MarxMN » Sun May 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Pete,

Interesting photos. Given how steep those areas are I think you are wise to be cautious on that snow. It would have been neat to get into the valley above the falls but the trail up is a challenge with no snow.

Bill
Last edited by MarxMN on Mon May 13, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarxMN
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Mon May 13, 2019 9:16 am

Thanks Tina and Mark!

Last edited by PeteE on Wed May 15, 2019 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteE

Postby teapot57 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:47 pm

I'm all for Nahtaki Lake, but...
I think it's tougher than some think getting up there.
Getting from the valley above Apkikuni to the the cirque where Nahtaki lies looks to be a challenge.

I think you're right, Pete. I know a few from this board have attempted it, but I don't recall reading about anyone that actually made it from this approach.
teapot57

Postby PeteE » Thu May 16, 2019 5:09 pm

Tina, Bill, and JayW

This looks like a route that's doable. The pictures and description are pretty good.

http://bobspirko.ca/USTrips/Montana/Api ... uniMtn.htm

Maybe I'll try it in a couple weeks.
Scroll down to the map.
I was thinking that you had to hike up the basin until you reached that big gully(where Jay and I stopped last year) before heading to the right(east) and up.
However, it looks like this couple started up and to the right almost immediately after getting to the basin above the falls.
This is 7th photo from top

PeteE

Postby Jay w » Fri May 17, 2019 9:34 pm

Checking in again. Pete, yeah, after hiking up there, we kept talking about how to get up there, and as we kept talking, we kept shaving off how far we'd hike up the valley. I think this guy's approach was right. Just head uphill. Screw the circular route. It's less steep but also longer, and each step requires placement and energy.

It's quite a hump up there, so start early. Good on ya if you make it.

Not much else to say unless I start wandering off topic.....

Jay (Boy in Glacier--BIG)
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Sat May 18, 2019 8:03 am

Jay w wrote: ...It's quite a hump up there, so start early. Good on ya if you make it...

Oh Ye of little faith!
Sounds like a challenge. So now I know I'll get up there!
Going directly up into the scree will keep me out of the vegetation...and away from the ticks too 8)

pete (Skinny Old Dude In Glacier)

SODIG with Apikuni MT in the background--June 25, 2018
PeteE

PreviousNext

Return to Photography