2019 "Snaps" Around Gracier National Park...plus

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: 2019 "Snaps" Around Gracier National Park...plus

Postby paul » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Pete, nice bear sighting. I enjoyed the photos and video!
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
paul
Donator
Donator

Postby TnTammy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:59 pm

Pete, that was some exciting meet-n-greet!! :shock:
Enjoyed seeing that big boy lumbering about. I imagine he’s enjoying the bounty of glacier lillies as an afternoon snack. Beautiful views up sunrift gorge, am so glad that you had cleared skies. Appreciate seeing what’s in bloom right now. You did remarkably well with those flower pics in the wind. Mike almost always gives up shooting flowers when the wind makes for moving targets.
So cool that you are out there exploring...gosh, how I love that place!
Thanks for sharing!
Tam
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Postby Jay w » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:41 pm

Thanks for the report Pete. I thought that avalanche would never stop. Holy hell, that was a solid couple of minutes.

Jay

Floors are covered. Everything is still out of the garage and it's raining like hell.
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:40 pm

Jim, Sue, Ralph, Paul, Tammy :)

Thanks for the comments!
The Baring Creek Valley is gorgeous and the lower part is easy to get to.
And yeah Tammy 8) that grizzly bear was fun to watch "lumbering" about.
He looked like a pretty decent size bear too.
The more massive head, small ears compared to his compact, big body and heavy looking legs, pigeon-towed gait...
He looked big to me!
To me, younger bears have smaller looking heads with more prominent ears, and look "leaner" with more dog like bodies.
Just my opinion though.

What looked to be a lousy weekend on Friday afternoon became a great weekend to be out in the park.
There were quite a few visitors on Sunday. St Mary and Virginia Falls were pretty popular places.
I didn't spend any time at Virginia Falls. The combination of high wind and pounding waterfall "mist" made keeping camera gear dry impossible.
That and mid sun just isn't good for photography around any of the two falls. I forgot neutral density filters too which would have helped in some cases.
It was still fun. "Power walked" non stop back to the parking lot from Va Falls with Crystal, a trail runner from Calgary. :shock:
3 1/2 miles and I was near 'bout out of breath the last 200 yards up that hill to the lot 8)

Now that the 2015 Reynolds fire opened up the St Mary Valley, it makes for nice hiking.
There are some great views now as you walk along the lake and through the opened up forests.
Good flowers in season and more wildlife opportunities as well.
So don't forget your bear spray. I remembered this morning. 8)
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-vXd ... LFF4-M.jpg

Those of you who aren't big fans of the long hikes with a lot of elevation change will like this area.
One really nice thing is there are four shuttle stops you can use to create different routes between Sun Point and Jackson Overlook.
Park at one place and hike, then exit at one of the other three stops, and shuttle back to your car.

Here's a few pics from hiking along the lake and St Mary Falls.
I have a few more and video from both days coming.
But I need to get to bed.
Tomorrow might be a long day if plans go well :D

Later and thanks to all of you for looking.

pete :wink:

Baring Creek Falls, about 1/4 mile below Sunrift Gorge parking.
Lots of wind blown mist and bright sun so photography sucked.

Dusty Star Mt. in the background. Dusty Star and Citadel Mt. dominate the views across St Mary lake all along this part of the trail

This is a two frame "vertical" panographic of Dusty Star shot from the cliff edge a little off the trail.
I needed two frames to get everything from the waterline to the mountain top.
The sun was just out of frame on the left accounting for the terrible sky :(
If done in early morning, the lighting would make for a MUCH better image.

Citadel on the right. If you look very carefully you will see Virginia Falls as a "white speck" way over on the left just above the light green trees.

Dusty Star and Citadel

Dusty Star with down trees. I kinda liked this pic.

Dusty Star

Citadel on the left, then parts of Gunsight Mt., Fusillade, Dunno about that "hump" and last Reynolds Mt. and Heavy Runner Mt. on far right

That lush green moss indicates there is year round water here. Citadel in background.

It's an easy scramble to get above St Mary Falls for these shots, BUT!!!!!
Do NOT get your feet on, or close to any "wet rock". Sliding into the river here and going over the falls would almost certainly be fatal.
As you'll see in video later when I post it.
That's likely how the two people got killed the last couple years at the Haystack Creek falls.

From the bridge. A couple years ago, I was there the day when that log came over the falls. It's been bouncing around since then.
A piece of it broke off and is still hung up on the other side of the creek in a little cave like spot.
On it's way down that year, the log came close to "sweeping" the rock where I took the next two pics.

Please don't let your kids get down here

On the way home after the hike Sunday afternoon

I'll try to get a few more from my other camera up tomorrow night.

later

PeteE

Postby McKee80 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Man, I love those pics from Jan 6. Sweet.
McKee80
Donator
Donator

Postby daveparker » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Nice pics Pete, thanks for taking and posting them...
daveparker
Site Admin

Postby res » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Pete, Always enjoy your pictures and appreciate your dedication to this site. The avalanche was amazing and the grizzly looked a bit closer than I would like.
res

Postby Geode » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:05 am

Enjoying the pictures Pete, thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing those views in person this summer!
Geode

Postby PeteE » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:34 am

McKee:
You mean the ones pics at the bottom of this post?
Thanks! :D
Winter makes for good picture weather.

Dave:
Thanks for providing me and everyone else for a platform to show off the park.
8)

res:
Yup, that avalanche startled me when it began. There was a sort of loud "crack".
It and took me a few seconds to figure out what it was and where to look.
That avalanche was over a mile away too. Imagine how loud and dramatic it would be if you
were standing nearby! Give a shout if you're gonna be out here.

Geode:

Yeah, you'll love seeing the scenery out here "in person" :D
Beats photos on here all to heck and gone.

Cheers

PeteE

Postby Jay w » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:21 pm

Nice collection Pete.

It looks like that Panasonic has some type of HDR thing going on some of the water pics. The water is SOO bright (as in the video) but in the photos, there's detail. Is that something you're choosing, or does the camera go off and do it's own thing? (Open the pod bay doors Hal. I'm afraid I can't do that Dave....)

Jay
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:59 pm

Jay w wrote:Nice collection Pete.

It looks like that Panasonic has some type of HDR thing going on some of the water pics. The water is SOO bright (as in the video) but in the photos, there's detail. Is that something you're choosing, or does the camera go off and do it's own thing? (Open the pod bay doors Hal. I'm afraid I can't do that Dave....)

Jay

I'm confused, but that seems to be getting more the case now that I'm over 70 8)
You mean my Sony A77II camera? And compared to what video?
I didn't make any video on Jan 5 when those pics above were made.

The top images with the nice clouds, some blue sky, and the "over saturated" rocks(top image) were made about 11:30AM at the Apgar boat dock.
So maybe that's what you thought was HDR?
The others below were made around 2:30PM after it had become very overcast.
Look at the sky on the last image taken on my favorite "beach"; the rocks are "dull".

PS
I got around to buying Blake Passmore's climbing guide Vol 5 today--autographed too. St Mary, Cut Bank, and Marias Pass areas.
And a nice foldout flower guide showing flowers by color--my better flower books are too bulky and heavy to pack around. Getting weak in my old age. 8)
PeteE

Postby Jay w » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:47 am

You're confused because I'm confused. I thought you had a Panasonic. Ok, Sony. And I was referring to the pictures in the Siyeh drainage. So the pics had detail in the water, and by watching the video I know that it's really hard to hold detail in the fast flowing water because it's easy to blow out those bright whites.

Ok, we're going from late winter to 90sF and humid. As I like to say, we had our 5 beautiful days of summer.

Jay
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:43 am

Jay w wrote:You're confused because I'm confused. I thought you had a Panasonic. Ok, Sony. And I was referring to the pictures in the Siyeh drainage. So the pics had detail in the water, and by watching the video I know that it's really hard to hold detail in the fast flowing water because it's easy to blow out those bright whites.

Ok, we're going from late winter to 90sF and humid. As I like to say, we had our 5 beautiful days of summer.

Jay

Ah Yes. I see what you mean now.
The video was made with my little 6 year old $100.00 Sony P&S camera.
I think the difference, in part anyway, is because in the video, the shutter speed is 1/60 second with aperture being set automatically in a limited range.
And so detail is lost because of the speed of the water?

The high, direct sun contributed to "blowout" as well.
And last, as a "wannabe" photographer, I just didn't "do it right". :(

Still tryin' 8)

PeteE

Postby teapot57 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:01 am

That avalanche video really highlights the dangers of spring hiking in avalanche terrain. I am not savvy with how to read conditions, so I don't head to areas of risk until the snow is gone. I know that you were in a safe area, Pete, but boy do I see a lot of photos through my Facebook hiking groups of people in the Canadian Rockies that are out in areas with avalanche risk, placing themselves in danger all for the sake of that perfect Instagram photo.
teapot57

Postby PeteE » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:38 pm

teapot57 wrote:That avalanche video really highlights the dangers of spring hiking in avalanche terrain. I am not savvy with how to read conditions, so I don't head to areas of risk until the snow is gone. I know that you were in a safe area, Pete, but boy do I see a lot of photos through my Facebook hiking groups of people in the Canadian Rockies that are out in areas with avalanche risk, placing themselves in danger all for the sake of that perfect Instagram photo.

Regarding avalanches...
Yes, you're right Tina about avalanches.
That's why I didn't go to Iceberg Lake a few weeks ago after talking to that photographer I met early on the morning I was going to go.
He 1) ran into a lot of post holing in the snow in the treed area before Ptarmigan Falls and then 2) he heard a huge avalanche somewhere ahead.
Sooooo...I decided I didn't want to cross those 3-4 avalanche chutes you need to cross that are about 1/2 way to the lake.
And then there is that area before you get to the melt pond below the lake that is prone to slides.
A couple hours later I was in the Many Glacier CG when heard a big avalanche coming from somewhere out towards Iceberg Lake.
So maybe good thing I went to Apikuni Falls that morning. 8)

Unfortunately it looks like I probably will have to cancel my Belly River backpacking trip at the end of the month. :evil: (June 25-30)
Boss lady looks to have made a deal selling some machines to a place in Eureka. She's 99% sure it'll happen.
Installation date is set for Monday, July 1. I have to supervise delivery of the machines that weekend.
Then on the 1st I have to set the machines up, check for proper operation, etc.
It sucks, but not a lot I can do about it.

So...
If the weather is decent for Father's Day weekend, I may do a 2 nighter to Atlantic creek or Morning Star Lake.
Depending on remaining snow, head up to Triple Divide Pass, or out to Medicine Grizzly Lake.
No real plan until I get there assuming I get to go.
Better than staying home, right? 8)

PeteE

PreviousNext

Return to Photography