2019 "Snaps" Around Gracier National Park...plus

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: 2019 "Snaps" Around Gracier National Park...plus

Postby tibber » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:10 pm

bummer about your Belly River trip. Maybe you can come join us during our July 7-11 Belly River trip if a permit is available.

Anyway, I finally got to see that avalanche video; that was quite something as it was very waterfallish. And just when you thot it was done, it spit out some more.
I enjoyed the rest of the video too.

Also loved the bear video.

I presume you don't make your videos public anymore other than here? It's really too bad cuz you shoot some great stuff. :D
tibber

Postby PeteE » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:59 pm

tibber wrote:bummer about your Belly River trip. Maybe you can come join us during our July 7-11 Belly River trip if a permit is available.

Thanks Angela :) That's really generous of you. I sent you a PM on that.

Anyway, I finally got to see that avalanche video; that was quite something as it was very waterfallish. And just when you thot it was done, it spit out some more.
I enjoyed the rest of the video too.
Yes, it was waterfallish. I think part of the "trigger" for that avalanche and 1/2 dozen more that day in same place was water flowing underneath the snow fields up there. After the snow stopped sliding, water continued to come down in a waterfall.

Also loved the bear video.
Thanks, I love watching and video'ing bears. I would have felt better about it though if I had had my bear spray 8)

I presume you don't make your videos public anymore other than here? It's really too bad cuz you shoot some great stuff. :D
Some I do make public and some I don't. Don't ask why because I really don't know why LOLOL!!

I tried getting up to the Mt Brown Lookout today. Didn't make it. Combination of late start and weather, plus I just began running out of gas after 4.15 miles and 3600 ft of elevation gain(I stopped at 6800ft).
As you see later when I post a few pics and video, after coming to the first switchback where you can see up the valley as well as the lookout, the sky was really dark and nasty looking. Rain/snow was falling not all that far away. Since I was still a mile+ and a 1000ft below the lookout, I just called it a day there at 1:30PM.
People coming down said there was still quite a bit of snow remaining the last 1/4 mile or so...and it was knee deep near the lookout. I just didn't have the energy to do that last mile considering the possibility of the weather going bad. The wind was making it cold too.
There will be another day :)

Gotta go eat and clean up. Should have something posted later this evening. Got some goat video some might like 8)

pete :wink:

This is where I turned around. 4.15 miles and 3600 feet up from the parking lot at 6800ft.
You can see the lookout at the upper right. The weather looked bad up the valley and the wind was cold.

Last edited by PeteE on Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteE

Postby Midwestjim » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:36 pm

PeteE wrote:This is where I turned around. 4.15 miles and 3600 feet up from the parking lot at 6800ft.
You can see the lookout at the upper right. The weather looked bad up the valley and the wind was cold.

Pete, I really like the contrast in these photos. The dark sky and the lookout in the distance make for a dramatic look.
Midwestjim

Postby PeteE » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:52 am

Thanks Jim :)
However, I would have settled for less "drama" and more sunshine 8)

Goat video 9 minutes

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Pv3 ... 9-1280.mp4

Fireweed video 30 seconds
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Jq6 ... s-1920.mp4

Here's the video clip of the two goats at the switchback where I turned around.
I think these two "billies" were probably siblings squabbling over a place in the trail where someone had peed.
About 2 minutes after I had started back down the trail, I heard a thundering of hoofs behind me.
I turned around to see these two goats coming down the trail behind me running full out.
Fortunately they passed me off trail on the uphill side. Minutes later I saw them at the next switchback where I got a little more video of them.

Here are some "experimental images I made with new HDR, High Dynamic range, software.
I think after I learn to use it, it'll be useful for high contrast scenes with lots of snow in them.
And maybe images of Bonnie and Clyde too :)

The fire opened up many places for views towards lake McDonald.
However, the trail is still just a steep as it has been 8)

This one worked ok preserving the foreground without blowing out the sky in the distance.
There are HUGE expanses of the burn area that are covered with "fireweed". I mean acres and acres of it.
So if you want to see fireweed, hike up into the Mt Brown burn area. It should be spectacular when it blooms.

Same thing here. The foreground was pretty dark. The HDR image sort of balanced out the scene.

This shot of Edwards Mt. didn't quite come out like I wanted. It was looking into the sun.
The clouds gave me an hint of the possible weather I was running into.

90% of the "greenery" you see here is fireweed. 30 second video uploading now.

PS
My old legs felt a bit "rubbery" last night but thankfully feel pretty good this morning. 8)
PeteE

Postby indiana hiker » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Pete, Love your pictures, especially the ones with the lookout in the distance. When we hiked to Mt. Brown a few years back there was snow cover the last half mile or so, but just a few inches with a well worn path. Our legs were "rubbery" for a while too! We were passed by some young people about half way up. They were up and headed back down and passed by us again when we had about a mile left. They told us they were worried something had happened to us. Nothing but old age! They worked at Lake McDonald and hiked to the lookout twice a week. Would love to hike that trail again, but may not be up to it again. That is the reason your posts and pictures are so important.
indiana hiker

Postby PeteE » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:29 pm

IndianaHiker:

Thanks regarding the pictures. Look again at them.
The two I originally posted were posted "as is" right from my Sony P&S camera.
I reposted them tonight after doing a little work on them plus two more of that same goat.
Not a lot of difference. That little P&S camera makes pretty good images for a 6 year old $100 camera.(used price)

I had a hell of a time getting that goat to look at me for that shot in that top/1st picture above.
The composition was planned. I wanted the storm and the lookout in the frame.
Plus I wanted that goat looking back at me for at least one shot. Had to YELL at him several times.
And all the time the wind is in my face and freezing my hands making holding the camera difficult.
But, I got what I wanted. 8)

Ha! :)
Talking about being passed by youngsters and being passed by, etc.
Yeah, Been there and done that, and it's not just youngsters either.
I had stopped to take a break at the one place where there is a water source a little over half way up.
I think it may have been where I took that picture of Edwards Mt. Nice view point at the switch back there.

A trail runner came jogging up the trail in the typical running togs, low cut running shoes, carrying just a hydration pack with small accessory pouch.
However she was no youngster. Looked to be mid 40's, maybe older :shock:
And sometime later she came back running back down passing me again :)

I also had a large group of 12-14 youngsters who looked like college athletes pass me as they coming back down.
They were laughing and chatting up a storm, not looking the least bit tired as they "power walked" by me.
Just a another day in the park! LOLOL
Ah youth! Good on them though.

And about a mile up from the road on the Sperry trail I encountered a large family group.
Three women, all carrying babies in those "baby backpacks", two men, and 4 youngsters 3-5 years old.
Gotta lovce seeing families getting their kids out on the trail like that, but...

They had no idea where they were going. They mentioned Snyder Lakes. I told them why that wasn't going to happen.(No time for one thing)
Long story short, they got some BAD advice from someone at Lake McDonald Lodge.
So I suggested they turn around and go do Trail of Cedars. And, if time allowed, do the first 1/4 mile of the Avalanche Lake hike to see the gorge.

So yeah, I like meeting people on the trail...and helping them have a better experience if I can.

later
Gotta think about where to go and what to do next 8)

PeteE

Postby PeteE » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:43 am

I drove out to Avalanche Creek yesterday after work. Almost turned into a nightmare.
The road crew had one lane closed at the bridge in West Glacier while working on it.
Traffic was backed up to US2. I'm thinking, "What will the line be like at the gate?"
Fortunately, the park anticipated this problem and they were waving people through.
I figured I would have to drive around Avalanche CG a few times to find parking.
As luck would have it, I got a space immediately after turning into the CG :arrow:

LOTs of people on the trail and at the lake. No surprise there as it was a nice day and where else was there to go?
Here's a few pics that I thought turned out well.

I had set up my tripod at the water's edge for this one. I could hear this guy directing his g/f to pose when she hopped on the rock :).
I think it made the picture better having someone in it.
The waterfalls were really flowing well. Video later this evening.

This one was taken at the point where Avalanche Creek enters McDonald Creek. I liked the way Mt Cannon kind of looms over the scene.
This is an HDR image, three exposures at f11. 1/45sec, 1/90th, and 1/200. This allowed me to have a little detail in an otherwise washed out sky and pick up the color in the rocks and green of the trees.

Looking down McDonald Creek from same spot as the pic above. Mt Brown on the left. Late afternoon clouds were nice.
This image is pretty much just how it came out of the camera. The blue sky was really nice and didn't need any help.
Thunder had been rumbling on and off for the last 2 hours. 20 minutes after this pic, on the drive back, it poured down rain for 5 minutes 8)
Typical afternoon storm.

Last edited by PeteE on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteE

Postby netresult » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:23 pm

Hey Pete, I haven't posted here in a while, but love your pics and reports. Especially like the pic with the rocks in the stream. Love the colors in that shot. We havent been back out to the park, mostly because of the huge increase in visitation. I dont like hordes of tourists. Stay safe
netresult

Postby PeteE » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:22 am

netresult wrote:Hey Pete, I haven't posted here in a while, but love your pics and reports. Especially like the pic with the rocks in the stream. Love the colors in that shot. We havent been back out to the park, mostly because of the huge increase in visitation. I dont like hordes of tourists. Stay safe

Thanks for the post :)
I don't blame you for avoiding the crowds. In fact, I'm doing that today.
Getting ready to go do a hike in nearby Jewel Basin. Maybe summit Mt Aneas .
Hopefully I'll get there early enough to avoid the teaming hordes 8)

Cheers

PeteE

Postby Chip » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:13 am

Pete
I really like your photos well worth your time. Looking at making this our first hike after we get to the park.
Chip

Postby PeteE » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:10 pm

Chip wrote:Pete
I really like your photos well worth your time. Looking at making this our first hike after we get to the park.

Thanks Ken.
It'll be a nice little hike to loosen up you and your grandson for later. 8)
I found that message regarding water filters you left for me by accident.
Apparently you called from a phone number different from the one in my directory?
And the call was sent to trash :(
I'll get back to you on it.

I did end up hiking to summit of Mt Aeneas today, and beat the crowds too :)
Four cars in the parking lot when I arrived about 0730.
36 cars parked when I left at 1430 8)

Nice hike. Not difficult at 3.1 miles to the summit gaining 1800ft. No really steep sections. The elevation gain is spread over all 3 miles.
That was utilizing Trail 717, the shortest, most direct trail to the summit. Jewel basin has many trails that interconnect making numerous routes possible.
Some trails, especially in the basin, still have considerable snow on them. 717 does not.
The was a few hundred yards of mushy snow on the final great ridge walk just under 1/2 mile, but nothing serious.

The was some haze but rain held off for me. Little showers all around the valley.

I should have some decent images to put up later.
The summit of Aeneas provides great 360 degree views. Flathead Valley and the north part of the lake looking west.
Looking east you can see into the Bob Marshall and the southern part of GNP(when really clear).

Got some video and pics of the goats along the summit ridge and at the summit.

I'll be working on it after I get cleaned up.

later

pete
:wink:
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:44 pm

Have to work on these tomorrow.
Gotta get some sleep and stuff ready for tomorrow's hike to Huckleberry Mt lookout in the park.

Here is the view towards the Flathead Valley and northern part of Flathead Lake from just below the summit.
The valley is about 4400 feet below this point on the summit ridge.
The ridge extends down to the old microwave structure at far right center.
Not a great image but haze app made sky MUCH better.

PeteE

Postby teapot57 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:51 pm

Nice photo, Pete. I would like to do this hike sometime. How long was the drive to the trailhead from Whitefish? Enjoy Huckleberry Lookout tomorrow.
teapot57

Postby PeteE » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:18 pm

teapot57 wrote:Nice photo, Pete. I would like to do this hike sometime. How long was the drive to the trailhead from Whitefish? Enjoy Huckleberry Lookout tomorrow.

I accidentally deleted a LONG post. I'm too tired to do it again right now :twisted:

It was a nice day. I love a sky and clouds like this for landscape images.
I'll finish tomorrow. 8)
Three frame hand held panographic looking NE at the Livingston Range from the lookout.
The North Fork River is far left.

A dead tree, well part of one, for JayW

Looking pretty good for Bear Grass this year. Not spectacular, but decent.
Immature blooms along the trail

PeteE

Postby PeteE » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:44 am

Here's another panorama from the Lookout.
The previous panorama was looking NE; this one is looking almost due north.
The road you see on the far left bottom is the North Fork road near Big Creek CG.
I have to "shrink" these large panoramas a lot to keep the ends from being chopped off---and, unfortunately I think they lose some quality? :(

PeteE

PreviousNext

Return to Photography