A Delicate But Important Subject for GNP Visitors

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

A Delicate But Important Subject for GNP Visitors

Postby PeteE » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:43 am

I know this is a topic that is a little difficult to discuss...Urination while in the park.
However yesterday not far off the Hidden Lake trail, I was once again reminded of the importance of "takin' care of business" in the proper way.
GNP visitation is up substantially over the last few years. And trails like the Hidden Lake trail are crowded more so than ever.
Literally THOUSANDS of people hike the Hidden Lake Trail every day. Inevitably people need to "pee".

Follow the park's guidelines for urinating out on the trail.
Pee on rocky or barren areas. Do NOT pee on grassy areas, flowers, etc. or, as in the photo below--near a tree's base.
The animals will destroy those areas over time.

This is my lil buddy "Hank" the hoary marmot licking and chewing at the base of a tree.
If people keep peeing in places like below, the critters will kill the tree.
And I doubt the excess "salts" do the trees and other vegetation any good either.

pete :wink:

PeteE

Re: A Delicate But Important Subject for GNP Visitors

Postby brindledog » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Very good point, Pete. I'm "relieved" you brought that up!
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Postby Fairbanks142 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:18 pm

I hear you brindledog, I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a steady stream of replies on this.

To all of Pete's good points here, I'll add this for those less experienced as well:know which way the wind blows.
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:16 am

brindledog wrote:Very good point, Pete. I'm "relieved" you brought that up!

Ah yes!!
"Relief" is only a trickle away!
8)

Fairbanks142 wrote:I hear you brindledog, I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a steady stream of replies on this.

To all of Pete's good points here, I'll add this for those less experienced as well:know which way the wind blows.

Hey Fairbanks. Thanks :)
True about the wind.
People don't care about issues---until they do care. THEN when it's too late, they'll want to yap.
Not me though. I have no such inhibitions. 8)

Here's another habit people should quit doing---pouring stuff on the parking lot pavement.
Don't be pouring pop, beer, coffee, nothing on the pavement.
The animals will lick virtually anything. They'll get habituated to coming to the road looking for something to lick.
And we'll have "human/animal conflict" of some kind--NOT good.

This was yesterday as I was driving home.
This nanny and yearling were really licking something like mad beside that car just before I got the camera going.
All those people were crowding the goats getting pictures.
The goats may not be afraid of the people, but the people better damn well be afraid of the goats.
Because one of these days, one of those nannies is going to horn someone and it won't end well.

Runs 25 seconds
https://photos.smugmug.com/8-7-2019-Swi ... t-1920.mp4

pete :wink:
PeteE

Return to General Glacier Discussion