Backpacking food

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Backpacking food

Postby Kris91 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:08 am

We're getting ready for an upcoming trip in glacier (starts sept 11)- just wondering if others take tuna packs while backpacking in glacier? I know there can be increased bear activity this time of year, but trying to figure out alternative to pb and j for 6 days.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris91

Re: Backpacking food

Postby Ear Mountain » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:02 am

My wife likes tuna for lunch (and spam for breakfast). She carries that in the Bob Marshall Wilderness on backpacking trips. We haven't had any problems with that. We carry each Tuna pack in a pint zip loc bag and close that bag tight after she eats the tuna. That bag then goes into a larger zip loc bag we use to carry all other garbage like used bar wrappers and freeze dried food packages.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Postby teapot57 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:21 pm

I personally don’t bring tuna packs because I like the flavored ones which seem to have more moisture, and if I make a wrap I always end up with tuna juice on my clothes. But they are convenient and an easy lunch for many people. I’d follow Ralph’s suggestion and carefully bag your waste.

Lunch is my hardest meal to plan for backpacking. Some other alternatives to pbj:

- Hard cheese, pepperoni/salami and crackers. These will last a few days unrefrigerated. My favorite trail combo is Tomato Basil Wheat Thins, Babybel cheese and pepperoni- the combo tastes kinda like pizza.
- Packit Gourmet’s 3 Bean salad or chicken salad wraps (these are cold soak- just add water)
- Jerky and cheese wisps
- Spam singles wrapped in a tortilla with some cheese
- bagels with cream cheese and salami

Would love to hear more ideas from others!
teapot57

Postby Kris91 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks for the tips!
Kris91

Return to General Glacier Discussion