2020 Trips Dates Section have at it.

Let us know when you will be visiting,

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

daveparker
Site Admin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

2020 Trips Dates Section have at it.

Post by daveparker »

Have a trip planned for the upcoming year, you can talk to others and ask question about planning your trips.

CC74
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2020 Trips Dates Section have at it.

Post by CC74 »

Hi there,

I'm going to be in Glacier National Park in June 2020 by myself and will be looking for people to hike with. I'm wanting to do 8-15 mile hikes every day and would even be into backpacking if there was a group doing that kind of stuff. I have been training since last summer to keep my fitness level high after backpacking Wonderland Trail and John Muir Trail, and will start this next summer off by summiting Mt Shasta. I am staying in Many Glacier from June 26-July 9th at least (maybe earlier). I would love to do Grinell Glacier, the Highline, Mt. Siyeh Summit, Gunsight Pass, taking suggestions. I may even be there earlier in June so I am a little flexible as I could be there as early as June 12. Let me know if you have the same timeline and interests. Glacier is my favorite place in the world and I would hike alone but, ya know... grizzlies.

Erin, 49 years old, graphic designer and cattle rancher in Central Coastal California
Last edited by CC74 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by paul »

CC74 wrote:Hi there,

I'm going to be in Glacier National Park in June 2020 by myself and will be looking for people to hike with. I'm wanting to do 8-15 mile hikes every day and would even be into backpacking if there was a group doing that kind of stuff. I have been training since last summer to keep my fitness level high after backpacking Wonderland Trail and John Muir Trail, and will start this next summer off by summiting Mt Shasta. I am staying in Many Glacier from June 25-July 9th at least. I would love to do Grinell Glacier, the Highline, Mt. Siyeh Summit, Gunsight Pass, taking suggestions. I may even be there earlier in June so I am a little flexible as I could be there as early as June 12. Let me know if you have the same timeline and interests. Glacier is my favorite place in the world and I would hike alone but, ya know... grizzlies.

Erin, 49 years old, graphic designer and cattle rancher in Central Coastal California
Hi Erin,

It might be difficult to do a lot of those hikes and climbs in June and early July. There will most likely be a lot of snow cover on the trails and there will be dangerous snow fields to cross. If you can move your dates to late July or August you would have a better chance of hiking and climbing the higher elevations.

If you can't move your dates, I suggest lower elevation hikes where the snow has melted out.

Paul
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir

PeteE
Gender?: Male

Post by PeteE »

CC74 wrote: Hi there,

I'm going to be in Glacier National Park in June 2020 by myself and will be looking for people to hike with. I'm wanting to do 8-15 mile hikes every day and would even be into backpacking if there was a group doing that kind of stuff. I have been training since last summer to keep my fitness level high after backpacking Wonderland Trail and John Muir Trail, and will start this next summer off by summiting Mt Shasta. I am staying in Many Glacier from June 25-July 9th at least. I would love to do Grinell Glacier, the Highline, Mt. Siyeh Summit, Gunsight Pass, taking suggestions. I may even be there earlier in June so I am a little flexible as I could be there as early as June 12. Let me know if you have the same timeline and interests. Glacier is my favorite place in the world and I would hike alone but, ya know... grizzlies.

Welcome to the chat Erin!
I gotta go to work but a couple of quick comments...

You are coming pretty early in the season.
The day hikes you mentioned( Grinell Glacier, the Highline, Mt. Siyeh Summit, Gunsight Pass) may not be open during the dates you're here.
Those trails typically have a lot of snow remaining that early in the year. No way to know though until much later this year.

Travel to and from Many Glacier area to other parts of the park is going to be a pain in the ass due to road construction.
Read this:
http://www.glacier.nationalparkschat.co ... =1&t=10215

Hiking alone isn't as dangerous as you may believe. I do it all the time.
The grizzly bears demand your respect but imo aren't the danger most people think IF you're careful and use some "common sense" precautions. 8)

More bears here
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/Bears/

Short video clip of that bear from hiking to Grinnell Glacier last July.
https://photos.smugmug.com/July-19-20-W ... r-1920.mp4

If Grinnell Glacier is open, I'll go with you IF I can mange it. Same with the other hikes you mentioned except summit of Siyeh.
I still work part time and never know when I can take off.

So stay in touch here on the GNP chat. Lots of good folks here with lots of experience in the park.

pete :wink:

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

CC74

Post by CC74 »

Yes thank you guys. I know it's early in the season and I know about the road construction but I really enjoy Glacier in late June before the summer crowds. I've been for the past 3 years in June. And my Many Glacier camping is already booked... wasn't easy. SO the dates are set June 26-July 9, except I do have the option of coming earlier around June 12 and staying through July 9 which I may do. Now I am just looking for people to hike with depending on whatever trails are open. Hopefully Highline will open in early July this year. I found a few planned hikes on a MeetUp group already... Dawson/Pitaman Loop on June 21 and Numa Lookout to Bowman Lake on June 28. I am not brave enough yet to hike alone and tend to listen to my park ranger's advice. But it's not going to keep me off any trails I guess. I love Glacier because of the wild things that live there. So keep me in the loop. Just discovered this chat and wanted to put myself out there as an avid outdoors woman and enthusiastic hiker. And please continue to let me know what hikes may be open in June. I don't know much about snow cover and what may be closed. Also had fun just biking the GTS Road while it was still closed the last couple years. And kayaking. Thanks!

Selkie
Donator
Donator

Post by Selkie »

CC74,
With your experience and interests, you may wish to look into joining Glacier Mountaineering Society.
They offer a range of activities, posted on the Events Calendar. Some very nice ones posted for June:
http://www.glaciermountaineers.com/