Just a Reminder Regardin Many Glacier in 2020

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Just a Reminder Regardin Many Glacier in 2020

Postby PeteE » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:25 pm

If you believe that the crowding and delays at Many Glacier in recent years were bad...
It looks to be a genuine cluster**** this coming season because you know there's going to be a sizable number of visitors who will not know this information.
Those of you coming out this year and plan on part, or all of your stay, at Many Glacier/Swiftcurrent should read the following:

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/manyglacier.htm
If you are visiting Many Glacier in 2020 or 2021, there are a few things you should know ahead of time.
2020 & 2021 Special Visitor Access Information

April 1 – May 17, 2020 & September 21 – December 16, 2020: The Many Glacier Road will be closed to visitor traffic at the park boundary due to large-scale road construction projects.

May 18 – September 20, 2020: Large-scale road construction projects will significantly increase travel times into the Many Glacier area. Visitors should expect travel delays up to 40 minutes each way from Babb, MT, to the Many Glacier Hotel. Visitors are encouraged to explore other areas of the park if they wish to avoid significant delays.

Visitors traveling through construction zones at night Monday through Friday between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. may experience up to a three hour delay.
Periodically, on extremely busy days, access to the valley will be restricted until parking becomes available. These restrictions, combined with construction delays, may result in significant wait times to enter the Many Glacier Valley.

The Many Glacier Ranger Station provides backcountry permits and basic information services, however parking will be very limited.
Visitors are reminded to turn off their car engines while waiting in construction lines to reduce emissions.
Please do not throw garbage, including apple cores, orange peels, sunflower seeds, etc. out car windows while waiting in construction lines. This attracts wildlife to the roadways which increases wildlife fatalities. Discard unwanted drinks in sinks or bear-proof garbage cans, not on the roadside.

Special Backcountry Information
In anticipation of long delays and congestion in the Many Glacier Valley in 2020 and 2021, backcountry campers are encouraged to select alternative hiking routes that do not begin or end in Many Glacier.

Similarly, backcountry campers are encouraged to pick up their permits (advance reservations or walk-in permits) at one of four other permit issuing stations in the park including Apgar, St. Mary, Two Medicine, and Polebridge.

Please visit the Backcountry Camping page on the park website for complete information on backpacking in Glacier.
Special Boating Information
Boaters are encouraged to boat on park waters other than waters around Many Glacier to avoid congestion due to 2020 and 2021 construction.
Please visit the Boating page on the park website for complete information on boating in Glacier National Park.

Special Camping Information
Due to the need to reduce congestion during construction, the entire Many Glacier Campground will transfer to “reservation only” for the duration of the project.

All Many Glacier campsites will be available by reservation only for $23 per night on Recreation.gov. Half of the campsites will be available for reservations beginning December 13, 2019. The remaining sites will be released for reservation on Recreation.gov in March 2020.

Once construction is complete, a portion of Many Glacier campsites will revert back to “first-come, first-served” per usual.
Special Lodging and Food Service Information

All commercial visitor services at Many Glacier, including lodging, food & beverage, retail, boat tours, and horseback rides, will be operating as normal during 2020 and 2021 construction.

PeteE

Re: Just a Reminder Regardin Many Glacier in 2020

Postby teapot57 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:49 am

I am thinking about hiking in and out of Many Glacier this summer, not only to avoid this mess but to cover some trail I haven’t hiked before.
teapot57

Postby al_in_al » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:53 am

teapot57 wrote:I am thinking about hiking in and out of Many Glacier this summer, not only to avoid this mess but to cover some trail I haven’t hiked before.

I've been intrigued by this idea lately. Hike in from Logan Pass on the Highline/Swiftcurrent trails, stay at Many Glacier for a day or two, hike out Piegan Pass (or at least that would probably be easiest for someone using the shuttle system). I just don't have a pack large enough to carry much with me, but then again I've overstuffed it for 2 night chalet stays before ...
al_in_al

Postby ND » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:55 pm

Pete, that doesn't sound good at all! :(
ND

Postby PeteE » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:43 pm

al_in_al wrote:
teapot57 wrote:I am thinking about hiking in and out of Many Glacier this summer, not only to avoid this mess but to cover some trail I haven’t hiked before.

I've been intrigued by this idea lately. Hike in from Logan Pass on the Highline/Swiftcurrent trails, stay at Many Glacier for a day or two, hike out Piegan Pass (or at least that would probably be easiest for someone using the shuttle system). I just don't have a pack large enough to carry much with me, but then again I've overstuffed it for 2 night chalet stays before ...

Sounds like a good idea to me.
You wouldn't need much of a pack if you were staying at the motel and not camping.
Whatever you used for your chalet stay should work.

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:47 pm

ND wrote:Pete, that doesn't sound good at all! :(

No it doesn't sound good imo.
Many of the people who don't end up at Many Glacier(mostly day visitors) will go elsewhere exacerbating the crowding at other popular spots, e.g. St Mary, Two Medicine, Logan Pass etc.
I'll probably avoid Many Glacier altogether.
Maybe do some hiking outside the park.

A friend of mine who works at Sportsman's Skihaus offered to hike with him and his wife to the summit of Great Northern Mt, one of the highest points in that area.
They do it every year.
This video of ascending Great Northern is a good one. Good music.
Locals but not my friends.
https://youtu.be/KXlpbleHUqg

pete :wink:
PeteE

Return to General Glacier Discussion