Thinking Out Loud for 2020

Let us know when you will be visiting,

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Thinking Out Loud for 2020

Postby al_in_al » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:08 pm

This year’s trip is being planned around a 2-night stay at Sperry Chalet. Since reservations open up on Monday, it’s time to get serious about picking some dates. I’m looking at the first two-ish weeks in August. Was considering the Sperry Glacier interpretive workshop, but I’m not sure about the added cost (the chalet stay is expensive as is, and I’m on a limited budget this year). I’m probably traveling alone since R only wants to take time off for 1 long vacation.

Here’s my first cut at my ideal itinerary, but will also put in a range of dates for the chalet and see what I get.

1 - fly in and drive to MG (night at Swiftcurrent)
2 - Cracker Lake (night at Swiftcurrent)
3 - easy day wandering around Many Glacier (night at Swiftcurrent or Rising Sun)
4 - Gunsight Pass Trail to the Chalet
5 - Sperry Glacier
6 - Sperry Trail (assumes a shuttle service is running) (night in East Glacier Park)
7 - Two Medicine Pass (night in East Glacier Park)
8 - fly home

9 - might add an extra night - haven’t thought about what hike I’d target if I did. I manage to do Hidden Lake Overlook every year, but I could possibly fit it in on day 1 or 6, depending on the timing.

Main goals are to hike in to the chalet on the Gunsight Pass trail - I hiked the opposite direction last time, and to hike to at least Cobalt Lake and hopefully Two Medicine Pass. This makes me think the later date for the chalet stay is better in hopes that there’s no snow near Gunsight Pass.

List of previously completed hikes: Apgar Lookout, Rocky Point, Trail of the Cedars, Avalanche Lake, Hidden Lake, Baring/St. Mary/Virginia Falls, Siyeh Loop, Piegan Pass (to MG and out-and-back), Dragon’s Tail False Summit, Sperry Trail, Sperry Glacier Trail, Gunsight Pass, Highline (with Grinnell Overlook), Ahern Pass, Swiftcurrent Lookout, Swiftcurrent Pass, Grinnell Lake, Grinnell Glacier, Iceberg Lake, Ptarmigan Tunnel, Cracker Lake, Apikuni Falls, Lee Ridge, Running Eagle Falls, Upper Two Medicine Lake, Scenic Point, Aster Falls/Park, Dawson-Pitamakan Loop, Dawson Pass, Firebrand Pass, Triple Divide Pass, Waterton Lakeshore Trail, Bear’s Hump, Crypt Lake
al_in_al

Re: Thinking Out Loud for 2020

Postby teapot57 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:51 am

I think trying for one of the Interpretive Workshops will greatly increase your chances of getting a Sperry reservation, especially over the time period you are considering. Sperry reservations will be one hot ticket this summer.
teapot57

Postby al_in_al » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:55 am

teapot57 wrote:I think trying for one of the Interpretive Workshops will greatly increase your chances of getting a Sperry reservation, especially over the time period you are considering. Sperry reservations will be one hot ticket this summer.

That's a good point! I'm also willing to stalk the website to try to catch cancellations if I don't luck out tomorrow. This will be my first year submitting from my slow home laptop instead of my (probably faster) work computer/internet connection, so who knows what will happen.
al_in_al

Postby PeteE » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:19 am

I submitted a request for Granite Park for 3 consecutive nights-- Aug 21-23.
I gave them a date range of August 1-September12.
Just for haha's I tried to edit the dates a few minutes later and got a response that indicated my request "had already been processed successful or not".
I'll be notified in 5 business days either way.
So we'll see.

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby al_in_al » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:35 am

I requested Sperry for 2 nights between August 12-17. It said I was number 273 in the queue, so I think I have a pretty good chance. I was actually allowed to edit my request (clarified my alternate dates) - that's a new feature that I appreciate! I might have submitted a little faster if I knew I could edit it once I got in the queue.

Good luck, Pete! You must have submitted pretty fast if you weren't able to edit your request.
al_in_al

Postby PeteE » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:42 am

al_in_al wrote:I requested Sperry for 2 nights between August 12-17. It said I was number 273 in the queue, so I think I have a pretty good chance. I was actually allowed to edit my request (clarified my alternate dates) - that's a new feature that I appreciate! I might have submitted a little faster if I knew I could edit it once I got in the queue.

Good luck, Pete! You must have submitted pretty fast if you weren't able to edit your request.

I didn't know about the editing feature either until after I had submitted my request.
I was #662. I believe giving them a 6 week window helped a lot 8)
Hope so anyway!

Good Luck!! :) :)

pete
PeteE

Postby al_in_al » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:09 pm

I got my confirmation this afternoon - I didn’t get my first choice dates, but they did give me two nights at the end of my range, Aug 16 and 17. I haven’t found the ‘perfect’ itinerary working those specific days in, but I’ll keep working on it.
al_in_al

Return to 2020 Trip Dates