Thinking Out Loud for 2020

Let us know when you will be visiting,

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: Thinking Out Loud for 2020

Postby mattB » Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 pm

al_in_al wrote:
mattB wrote:I wonder how they are going to do the meals at Sperry?
Its pretty tight quarters in the dining room, no way they could maintain social distancing during dinners. Breakfast might work ok.
Maybe they will limit how many people can stay at the lodge at any time, so the dining room won't be too crowded at dinner time?

There was an interview with the superintendent that said they would likely do take-and-go food.

https://hungryhorsenews.com/news/2020/a ... -state-10/

Where would people "go" to eat? Eating in the dorm building seems like a bad idea?
Sitting out on the rocks in the area might be ok, weather permitting..
Maybe they'll set up some temporary seating in the area. But spreading food smells and dropped scraps all around the area doesn't seem like a good idea, and also what about the weather?
mattB
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Tue May 19, 2020 5:40 pm

Regarding Sperry where your meals are prepared for you, they could spread out the time for breakfast and dinner over a couple hours, say 0600-0800 and 1700-1900.

Guests and groups would be assigned a time to pick up their meal and a table in the dining hall. People would wait outside until their name is called, then enter, pick up their "boxed meal",drink, etc. go to their table, eat and get the hell out. 8)

Kevin just needs to adopt a policy similar to Bob's Grill in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina. To wit:

Bob’s Grill has been a go-to Kill Devil Hills restaurant since 1994. With their plate-sized pancakes, fresh-made hash browns, seafood burritos and Angus beef burgers, it’s easy to see why.

“Eat and Get the Hell Out” developed as our slogan during popular and crowded lunchtimes as founder Bob McCoy would move through the crowds at his Kill Devil Hills restaurant urging lollygagging locals to get a move on so he could seat waiting customers. After you eat, but before you get the hell out, be sure to pick up a Bob’s Grill souvenir featuring their slogan.

When I lived in Norfolk VA, I ate there many times when I went to the Outer Banks on fishing and camping trips.
Good burgers and a fun place to eat. I had a T-shirt I bought in the late 90's that I finally had to toss a few years ago. :mrgreen:
Brindledog, you ever eat there?

pete :wink: :wink:
"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
PeteE

Postby brindledog » Tue May 19, 2020 8:14 pm

I have never eaten there, but I like their slogan. Growing up (in Laurinburg, NC), we always headed to beaches in the southern part of NC. 4+ hours in a station wagon with 3 kids and no A/C to get to Kill Devil Hills would have pushed my parents over the edge. I'll bet the food is good, though. Love the small town diners.
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Postby Ear Mountain » Wed May 20, 2020 8:45 am

PeteE wrote:...eat and get the hell out....:

Reminds me of the mess hall during basic training in 1970.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Previous

Return to 2020 Trip Dates