2018 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: 2018 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Postby PeteE » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:07 pm

Alright. I didn't mean to drag this out but work intervened.
Gotta drive to Helena tomorrow towing a 24ft enclosed trailer and I'm not fond of driving that rig.

Sunday night my plan was to hike out to Ahern Pass with three ladies from Bozeman I met that day.
If it was nice, I would continue to Iceberg Notch and they would return or wait as they wish.

Sunday AM I got a bad feeling about the weather. So I told them I couldn't go. I was returning to WF.

Then I got this idea to walk out via Swiftcurrent pass, catch the shuttle to St. Mary, and get the park shuttle to Logan Pass.
I figured why not go back Swiftcurrent? Great hike with awesome scenery going down. Maybe I would see a bear or moose. (pics and video later in the week)
So I kinda dogged it going down taking lots of pics and video.

And then things went wrong.
The 3:30PM shuttle was late.
It also stopped at Johnson's to pick up some gal in a RV and take her somewhere.
He also stopped and let some Xterra employee off at the gas station.
At the St Mary gate he pulled into the pass through line but the Ranger made him back up and come through her line---although he never had to do that before.
And finally I got off at the shuttle stop.

Really windy out there(see video) so I went inside to wait...
When I mentioned that to the ranger she said, "You missed the last shuttle to Logan Pass--the 1630 one".
I said &%#$!! . Then cheered up. No problem, I'll hitch hike.
And so I put on my pack and headed out.

One minute video
https://photos.smugmug.com/Granite-Park ... h-1920.mp4

After about 5-10 minutes of standing by the bridge it dawned on me that I was in trouble.
Very little traffic at that hour and nobody stopping for me.
The weather was lousy. WINDY and dark clouds threatening to rain any minute.
Not good, but nothing for it to just keep on walking.
Traffic was really thinning out with few cars going towards Logan pass.

I heard someone coming and stuck my thumb out instinctively without looking.
When I saw it was a LEO Ranger stopping in the pulloff, I thought I was in some sort of trouble.
As it happened it was just the opposite allowed ranger Seth.
Yeeeehaw. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

I wasn't aware that the Rangers would give rides to anyone--and they don't unless it's an extenuating circumstance.
They take precautions. Called in my ID(finding out I had a concealed carry permit) to dispatch along with time, location, mileage on his rig.
Later he picked up a couple at Sunrift Gorge who missed the last shuttle.
Ranger Seth and I had a great conversation. I learned a lot about him and his career path. I wish Seth great success.
I'd love to see more like Seth in the law enforcement profession---Ranger R. Merritt too.

Ranger Seth leaving after dropping me off.

The guy we picked up had to ride in the small "cage" behind me. The cage is where anyone who has been "arrested" is put for transport to Great Falls--a three hour ride. They usually don't like it much. I can understand since I dunno if I could fit in it. 8)
PeteE

Postby MarxMN » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Pete,

Sorry things did not work out as planned at Granite Park Chalet. But the wind can be strong and it makes for unsafe conditions. Better to be safe.

The hike out over Swiftcurrent Pass is great. I would have been very concerned to be at the St. Mary Visitor center with my vehicle at Logan Pass and home three hours away. I am glad things worked out okay.

Bill
MarxMN
Donator
Donator

Postby TnTammy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Hey Pete,
Sorry you didn’t get back to Ahern Pass and on up to Iceburg Notch this year. Also really Neat footage from your attempt at Grinnell! I found myself holding my breath for you on that skinny trail. (Similar to watching your video of Reynolds :shock: ) Sounds like you made a good call with returning from Granite Park...atleast based on your hitchhiking footage with all that wind!!
Have enjoyed your pics of Piegan Summit & animals of late. That mountain goat was right handsome but think Mr. Lincoln could take him. 8)
Hope that marmot didn’t get a hold of your sticks up at Grinnell. :wink:
Great to see your posts and new goatee! :D
Tam
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:42 pm

MarxMN wrote:Pete,

Sorry things did not work out as planned at Granite Park Chalet. But the wind can be strong and it makes for unsafe conditions. Better to be safe.

The hike out over Swiftcurrent Pass is great. I would have been very concerned to be at the St. Mary Visitor center with my vehicle at Logan Pass and home three hours away. I am glad things worked out okay.

Bill

Hey Bill:

Thanks. I was never too worried about getting a ride.
I was more concerned about having to dig out my rain gear to keep from getting wet in all that wind.
I figured if the rain began, and I was in rain gear, someone would feel sorry for me and pick me up---at least I hoped so. 8)
I had no idea the LEO Rangers would do it.

:arrow:

TnTammy wrote:Hey Pete,
Sorry you didn’t get back to Ahern Pass and on up to Iceburg Notch this year. Also really Neat footage from your attempt at Grinnell! I found myself holding my breath for you on that skinny trail. (Similar to watching your video of Reynolds :shock: ) Sounds like you made a good call with returning from Granite Park...atleast based on your hitchhiking footage with all that wind!!
Have enjoyed your pics of Piegan Summit & animals of late. That mountain goat was right handsome but think Mr. Lincoln could take him. 8)
Hope that marmot didn’t get a hold of your sticks up at Grinnell. :wink:
Great to see your posts and new goatee! :D
Tam

Hi Tammy:

Yeah, aside from the wind hazard problems, it's just no damn fun in conditions like that.
I'm fortunate enough to live here and I can always come back another time when conditions will be nice(r) 8)
I'm very blessed that way.

Nope, the marmots left my stuff alone, but did try to get one of the guest's sticks as they ate lunch on the Haystack! :mrgreen:

I love being around those big old billy goats even when they stop, turn, and stare at me with those dark eyes.
Just like the one at the Haystack did.
Wonderful animals.
Yeah, Mr Lincoln was a magnificent billy, and I think a lil bigger than the one at the Haystack.
It would be an epic battle if those two got in a fight.
I love being around all of the animals in the park.

The goatee is gone. I didn't like all the trimming to keep it "neat" looking.
Too much hassle and I'm just lazy I guess.
:mrgreen:

Tell Mike and Nathan "Hi" :)

I did remember to stop at the big cairn up at the top of Swiftcurrent Pass.
Found a suitable rock, one with no scratches from a carbide tipped hiking stick 8)
I placed it on the cairn giving Andy(HockyRef) a big "high five".

16 second video

https://photos.smugmug.com/Granite-Park ... k-1920.mp4

RIP Andy

Few more snaps going down from the pass. Unfortunately, the shy was quickly becoming washed out from the coming rain clouds--plus the smoke haze :(

I didn't know when I took this pic that the couple barely visible center frame were on their way to FIFTY MOUNTAIN CG :shock:
Talking to a couple of guests I met at the chalet, these two were hiking the Continental Divide trail, having begun in Northern Mexico months ago.
This was at 11:20AM and at 5500ft as they were going up to the pass. So they still had considerable elevation gain and miles to the pass.
Then down to Granite Park for the 11.9 miles to FIF!!!!!!!!!!!
Gotta be nice to be young and so fit.

PeteE

Postby Jay w » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Sometimes a little knowledge (shuttle schedule) is a dangerous thing.

I guess you're leaving some hikes undone, so you have something to do next time.

As for young and fit, it beats the alternative.

Jay

Vikings score!
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:26 am

Jay w wrote:Sometimes a little knowledge (shuttle schedule) is a dangerous thing.

I guess you're leaving some hikes undone, so you have something to do next time.

As for young and fit, it beats the alternative.

Jay

Vikings score!

Right on all counts except I don't know squat about NFL football--and don't care about those overpaid, ungrateful, traitorous whiners. 8)

Meanwhile....after work yesterday....

I drove out to Lake McDonald for the first time yesterday since the road opened.
Unfortunately I was a little late for pictures--the clouds and thunderstorms were moving in.
Here's a few snaps.

Still smoldering upstream from the head of the lake

Looking across at Stanton. Hard to see in the picture, but it burned pretty much everything across the lake.

Crummy pic but at the time the sky looked interesting as the T-Storm was coming up the lake. It stalled somewhat though which probably allowed for me to see my two knucklehead friends for the first time since last Spring.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Clyde on Jaybird and Bonnie on the ground. I was just before leaving when I heard Bonnie's familiar high pitched "alert squawk" somewhere above me.
I couldn't see her at first. Then when I turned around, there was Clyde 25-30 yards away. He Flew over to me after I got out of Jaybird.

Video clip runs about 1 1/2 minutes.
This will be the sixth consecutive winter I have have photographed these two ravens at Lake McDonald Lodge.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4bt ... w-1920.mp4

Ms Bonnie. She loves to express herself by fluffing out her head feathers.

Clyde likes to "inspect" the bed of Jaybird when he visits 8)
PeteE

Postby tibber » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:00 am

so sad about that fire, it has to look awful over there.

so cool about your birds though.
tibber

Postby PeteE » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:23 pm

tibber wrote:so sad about that fire, it has to look awful over there.

so cool about your birds though.

Hi Angela:

Yeah, it looks pretty grim across the lake.
The forest and the wildlife will come back.
The real tragedy is the loss of all those structures, especially peoples' homes.

Bonnie and Clyde really are cool birds. I find them very interesting to observe and just to be around. :D
They are so different from one another...Bonnie is shy, but very vocal and visually expressive.
Clyde is very bold, but virtually silent, seldom vocalizing.

I'm looking forward to photographing them this winter.
I've learned a few things about photographing them over the last 5 years that I hope will improve my pics.
Photographing a moving "midnight black" bird against a bright background is challenging! 8)
Photographing a snowy landscape is challenging period....for me.

I'm heading up to Logan Pass early tomorrow morning.
I'm hoping for some opportunities to get some big horn pics.
They should be looking pretty good now.
Mature big horn rams are MAGNIFICENT animals in the fall after they put on all that weight and their winter coats grow in.

pete :wink:

PS

I've been reading through your High Line report.
I love that hike. Thank you for all those flower pics...I'm learning! :)
Explorer's Gentian.... :D
That deep blue color just blows me away.
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:57 pm

Sometimes it's sunshine, and sometimes it's not :(
View to the west from the Big Bend.

Gambled and lost this morning. I got to Logan Pass about 6:15AM. Pitch dark.
Got a bad feeling after my eyes got used to the dark--no stars visible. :(
I read my kindle while looking east to see what sunrise might bring---lots of low stratus. :(
The wind grew steadily and felt like temps were dropping too.
Ugly day for anything so I took a few pics with a lens I've not used--Vivatar 35-105mm zoom circa 70's.
Might be something I can put up a little later.

pete :wink:

PS Miscellaneous factoid 8)

I left Logan Pass and for the first time ever....
I did not encounter a car in front of me all the way down to Apgar picnic turnoff.
And...there was never at any time a vehicle anywhere in sight behind me.
All alone all 30 miles coming down from Logan Pass.
And yet...
I was passing heavy traffic going up to Logan Pass nearly all the way down.
At times I wondered if I was missing something back at Logan Pass!!
:arrow:
PeteE

Previous

Return to Photography