2018 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: 2018 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Postby PeteE » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:07 pm

Alright. I didn't mean to drag this out but work intervened.
Gotta drive to Helena tomorrow towing a 24ft enclosed trailer and I'm not fond of driving that rig.

Sunday night my plan was to hike out to Ahern Pass with three ladies from Bozeman I met that day.
If it was nice, I would continue to Iceberg Notch and they would return or wait as they wish.

Sunday AM I got a bad feeling about the weather. So I told them I couldn't go. I was returning to WF.

Then I got this idea to walk out via Swiftcurrent pass, catch the shuttle to St. Mary, and get the park shuttle to Logan Pass.
I figured why not go back Swiftcurrent? Great hike with awesome scenery going down. Maybe I would see a bear or moose. (pics and video later in the week)
So I kinda dogged it going down taking lots of pics and video.

And then things went wrong.
The 3:30PM shuttle was late.
It also stopped at Johnson's to pick up some gal in a RV and take her somewhere.
He also stopped and let some Xterra employee off at the gas station.
At the St Mary gate he pulled into the pass through line but the Ranger made him back up and come through her line---although he never had to do that before.
And finally I got off at the shuttle stop.

Really windy out there(see video) so I went inside to wait...
When I mentioned that to the ranger she said, "You missed the last shuttle to Logan Pass--the 1630 one".
I said &%#$!! . Then cheered up. No problem, I'll hitch hike.
And so I put on my pack and headed out.

One minute video
https://photos.smugmug.com/Granite-Park ... h-1920.mp4

After about 5-10 minutes of standing by the bridge it dawned on me that I was in trouble.
Very little traffic at that hour and nobody stopping for me.
The weather was lousy. WINDY and dark clouds threatening to rain any minute.
Not good, but nothing for it to just keep on walking.
Traffic was really thinning out with few cars going towards Logan pass.

I heard someone coming and stuck my thumb out instinctively without looking.
When I saw it was a LEO Ranger stopping in the pulloff, I thought I was in some sort of trouble.
As it happened it was just the opposite allowed ranger Seth.
Yeeeehaw. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

I wasn't aware that the Rangers would give rides to anyone--and they don't unless it's an extenuating circumstance.
They take precautions. Called in my ID(finding out I had a concealed carry permit) to dispatch along with time, location, mileage on his rig.
Later he picked up a couple at Sunrift Gorge who missed the last shuttle.
Ranger Seth and I had a great conversation. I learned a lot about him and his career path. I wish Seth great success.
I'd love to see more like Seth in the law enforcement profession---Ranger R. Merritt too.

Ranger Seth leaving after dropping me off.

The guy we picked up had to ride in the small "cage" behind me. The cage is where anyone who has been "arrested" is put for transport to Great Falls--a three hour ride. They usually don't like it much. I can understand since I dunno if I could fit in it. 8)
PeteE

Postby MarxMN » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Pete,

Sorry things did not work out as planned at Granite Park Chalet. But the wind can be strong and it makes for unsafe conditions. Better to be safe.

The hike out over Swiftcurrent Pass is great. I would have been very concerned to be at the St. Mary Visitor center with my vehicle at Logan Pass and home three hours away. I am glad things worked out okay.

Bill
MarxMN
Donator
Donator

Postby TnTammy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Hey Pete,
Sorry you didn’t get back to Ahern Pass and on up to Iceburg Notch this year. Also really Neat footage from your attempt at Grinnell! I found myself holding my breath for you on that skinny trail. (Similar to watching your video of Reynolds :shock: ) Sounds like you made a good call with returning from Granite Park...atleast based on your hitchhiking footage with all that wind!!
Have enjoyed your pics of Piegan Summit & animals of late. That mountain goat was right handsome but think Mr. Lincoln could take him. 8)
Hope that marmot didn’t get a hold of your sticks up at Grinnell. :wink:
Great to see your posts and new goatee! :D
Tam
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:42 pm

MarxMN wrote:Pete,

Sorry things did not work out as planned at Granite Park Chalet. But the wind can be strong and it makes for unsafe conditions. Better to be safe.

The hike out over Swiftcurrent Pass is great. I would have been very concerned to be at the St. Mary Visitor center with my vehicle at Logan Pass and home three hours away. I am glad things worked out okay.

Bill

Hey Bill:

Thanks. I was never too worried about getting a ride.
I was more concerned about having to dig out my rain gear to keep from getting wet in all that wind.
I figured if the rain began, and I was in rain gear, someone would feel sorry for me and pick me up---at least I hoped so. 8)
I had no idea the LEO Rangers would do it.

:arrow:

TnTammy wrote:Hey Pete,
Sorry you didn’t get back to Ahern Pass and on up to Iceburg Notch this year. Also really Neat footage from your attempt at Grinnell! I found myself holding my breath for you on that skinny trail. (Similar to watching your video of Reynolds :shock: ) Sounds like you made a good call with returning from Granite Park...atleast based on your hitchhiking footage with all that wind!!
Have enjoyed your pics of Piegan Summit & animals of late. That mountain goat was right handsome but think Mr. Lincoln could take him. 8)
Hope that marmot didn’t get a hold of your sticks up at Grinnell. :wink:
Great to see your posts and new goatee! :D
Tam

Hi Tammy:

Yeah, aside from the wind hazard problems, it's just no damn fun in conditions like that.
I'm fortunate enough to live here and I can always come back another time when conditions will be nice(r) 8)
I'm very blessed that way.

Nope, the marmots left my stuff alone, but did try to get one of the guest's sticks as they ate lunch on the Haystack! :mrgreen:

I love being around those big old billy goats even when they stop, turn, and stare at me with those dark eyes.
Just like the one at the Haystack did.
Wonderful animals.
Yeah, Mr Lincoln was a magnificent billy, and I think a lil bigger than the one at the Haystack.
It would be an epic battle if those two got in a fight.
I love being around all of the animals in the park.

The goatee is gone. I didn't like all the trimming to keep it "neat" looking.
Too much hassle and I'm just lazy I guess.
:mrgreen:

Tell Mike and Nathan "Hi" :)

I did remember to stop at the big cairn up at the top of Swiftcurrent Pass.
Found a suitable rock, one with no scratches from a carbide tipped hiking stick 8)
I placed it on the cairn giving Andy(HockyRef) a big "high five".

16 second video

https://photos.smugmug.com/Granite-Park ... k-1920.mp4

RIP Andy

Few more snaps going down from the pass. Unfortunately, the shy was quickly becoming washed out from the coming rain clouds--plus the smoke haze :(

I didn't know when I took this pic that the couple barely visible center frame were on their way to FIFTY MOUNTAIN CG :shock:
Talking to a couple of guests I met at the chalet, these two were hiking the Continental Divide trail, having begun in Northern Mexico months ago.
This was at 11:20AM and at 5500ft as they were going up to the pass. So they still had considerable elevation gain and miles to the pass.
Then down to Granite Park for the 11.9 miles to FIF!!!!!!!!!!!
Gotta be nice to be young and so fit.

PeteE

Postby Jay w » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Sometimes a little knowledge (shuttle schedule) is a dangerous thing.

I guess you're leaving some hikes undone, so you have something to do next time.

As for young and fit, it beats the alternative.

Jay

Vikings score!
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:26 am

Jay w wrote:Sometimes a little knowledge (shuttle schedule) is a dangerous thing.

I guess you're leaving some hikes undone, so you have something to do next time.

As for young and fit, it beats the alternative.

Jay

Vikings score!

Right on all counts except I don't know squat about NFL football--and don't care about those overpaid, ungrateful, traitorous whiners. 8)

Meanwhile....after work yesterday....

I drove out to Lake McDonald for the first time yesterday since the road opened.
Unfortunately I was a little late for pictures--the clouds and thunderstorms were moving in.
Here's a few snaps.

Still smoldering upstream from the head of the lake

Looking across at Stanton. Hard to see in the picture, but it burned pretty much everything across the lake.

Crummy pic but at the time the sky looked interesting as the T-Storm was coming up the lake. It stalled somewhat though which probably allowed for me to see my two knucklehead friends for the first time since last Spring.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Clyde on Jaybird and Bonnie on the ground. I was just before leaving when I heard Bonnie's familiar high pitched "alert squawk" somewhere above me.
I couldn't see her at first. Then when I turned around, there was Clyde 25-30 yards away. He Flew over to me after I got out of Jaybird.

Video clip runs about 1 1/2 minutes.
This will be the sixth consecutive winter I have have photographed these two ravens at Lake McDonald Lodge.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4bt ... w-1920.mp4

Ms Bonnie. She loves to express herself by fluffing out her head feathers.

Clyde likes to "inspect" the bed of Jaybird when he visits 8)
PeteE

Postby tibber » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:00 am

so sad about that fire, it has to look awful over there.

so cool about your birds though.
tibber

Postby Jay w » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:55 pm

It seems like a post (of Pete's) got deleted. I guess I have to give Pete crap about something or other as soon as I see the opportunity.

Jay
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:20 pm

Jay w wrote:It seems like a post (of Pete's) got deleted. I guess I have to give Pete crap about something or other as soon as I see the opportunity.

Jay

Nothing wrong with the "system".
Upon review and reflection, I decided the "snaps" I took on McDonald Creek and the Avalanche area sucked.
So I took them down.
Sometimes I have to do that because I can't figure out what in the sam hell made me post them to begin with :(

pete :wink:

PS
Regarding your post regarding June weather.
This past June 2018 was what I was talking about.
June's like that. Spectacular days mixed with S**t days.
I live here so I can pick and choose when to go to the park.
Were it not for Jay and Julie being here, I'd have stayed home during all that rain 8) 8)

People should plan June visits for two weeks.
Then they'll have a good chance for some of those "spectacular" days!
:arrow: :arrow:
PeteE

Postby Jay w » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Out loud. Yeah, I laughed out loud.

Was there some bad weather?

BTW, we're heading to NC for Glacier June weather. Something about Michael.

Jay
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:33 pm

Today, October 14th would have been my Mom's 99th birthday.
The last few years I've always tried to get out and do "something" outdoors to remember her.
My Mom was an avid bird and wildlife watcher, traveling around the US as well as to Africa, South and Central America.

Today it was Glacier View ridge for some snaps looking into GNP.
The cloud formations changed continuously.

This 4 pane panographic was taken not far below where I stopped going up.
About 1.1miles and 1100ft of elevation gain--yeah, steep! Good exercise for my quads :)
I only slipped and fell back on my ass once when going back down on one of the steeper parts. 8)
You really don't want to fall forward doing a "header" on this trail---or any trail really.

This is a very large image-9850x3092 pixels.
Shot all four images at f8 and 1/500sec using .6ND filter on upper half of image.
I loved the clouds. No distortion here. This wide spread formation is just how it looked.
Just no way to get the whole thing in one image with my 16mm lens--so four frames overlapping to create this panorama.
Camas Road on the right.

The image in the link is a much higher quality to look at but far too big to display here.
Shrinking this image for display below degraded the quality-- a lot.

go here for full size
https://photos.smugmug.com/10-14-2018-G ... no1-X3.jpg

This is an hour after the pano above. See how the clouds changed?
Jaybird is parked at the intersection 1000ft below.

Clouds are cool!

Looking NE at the Livingston range as it runs towards Canada.
You can see a small portion of the North Fork road at the extreme left edge of the frame

I'll try to get a few more up later on this week. Could be busy at work. Shame too since the next 4-5 days will be gorgeous. Maybe afternoons!! 8)

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby Sue Z » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:08 pm

Love those crazy clouds and aspens.
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Postby tibber » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:32 pm

yep, those clouds are so cool.
The posts from EnjoyYourParks of the fall color in the park have been stunning. I may have to consider a last week of Sept trip to see Fall at least once at the Park. The EnjoyYourParks folks said it's been an exceptionally colorful Fall, what do you think?

My Mom was an avid bird and wildlife watcher, traveling around the US as well as to Africa, South and Central America.
As I've said before, my parents were world travelers in the 60s and 70s. In fact I've been working on all the slides now, currently I am in Africa where they took a seventy day tour from the West Coast, Senegal to the East Coast, Uganda and finished with a camel ride at the Sphinx in 1964.
tibber

Postby teapot57 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Wow, Pete! Those are some great photos. The clouds and fall colors are amazing. You are right- we are finally going to have some beautiful weather this week. I am hoping I can get out myself as I’ve heard that the Many Glacier Road has reopened. Thanks for sharing!
teapot57

Postby PeteE » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Sue Z wrote:Love those crazy clouds and aspens.

Yeah, crazy clouds is right!
I think most of these golden trees in this area are probably larch.
We do have aspens here on the west side, but I think they are more commonly found on the east side of GNP.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

tibber wrote:yep, those clouds are so cool.
The posts from EnjoyYourParks of the fall color in the park have been stunning. I may have to consider a last week of Sept trip to see Fall at least once at the Park. The EnjoyYourParks folks said it's been an exceptionally colorful Fall, what do you think?

As I've said before, my parents were world travelers in the 60s and 70s. In fact I've been working on all the slides now, currently I am in Africa where they took a seventy day tour from the West Coast, Senegal to the East Coast, Uganda and finished with a camel ride at the Sphinx in 1964.

Hi Angela:
Yeah, the larches are at/near peak for sure.
30 second video
https://photos.smugmug.com/10-14-2018-G ... s-1920.mp4
I suppose it can vary a little, but if you watch the video I'll put up later. it looks like they are good all over the North Fork.

I wish my Mom had taken more photographs on her trips, but she didn't like cameras too much.
My sister may have some. Mom took a SUPER photograph when she was on the "tundra buggy" watching the polar bears in Churchill CA.
The polar bear, a large male, is standing up with his ENORMOUS paws on the buggy window looking in at MOM. Great pic.
So hang on to your parent's photos. They are "family gold".

teapot57 wrote:Wow, Pete! Those are some great photos. The clouds and fall colors are amazing. You are right- we are finally going to have some beautiful weather this week. I am hoping I can get out myself as I’ve heard that the Many Glacier Road has reopened. Thanks for sharing!

Hey Tina!

Thank you. The clouds kept changing all the time. Going up the hill, I'd stop and turn around to rest, and the sky was completely different.
Makes me crazy because I keep wanting to take pics every 10 steps :)
I didn't see that the MG road was open. I can't go over the pass till I get my winter tires on.
So I need to do that soon.

I may go back out to Glacier View later this week.
The moon will be be rising late in the afternoon. Be full on the 24th.
So I would like to get some moon rise images with my telephoto lenses if the weather holds.
I can get up there high enough in 30 minutes for a good shot at a moon rise over the Livingstons.

I have a few more pictures from my little Sony P&S and video I'm working on.

Here's the video. Hard to hear a lot because of the wind.
https://photos.smugmug.com/10-14-2018-G ... w-1920.mp4

Later

pete
:wink:
Last edited by PeteE on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteE

PreviousNext

Return to Photography