Backcountry Campsite Tent Restrictions

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Backcountry Campsite Tent Restrictions

Postby mfster » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:02 am

So I know the backcountry website stipulates that each campsite is limited to four people and two two-person tents.

Because of the makeup of my group, it's not possible for the four campers to share two tents.

Do you know if it's possible to get permission for one two-person tent and two one-person tents?

And are there dimension limits for one- and two-person tents? For instance I know some two-person tents are on the small side and some one-person tents are on the large side, so I wonder how they would decide what is and isn't allowed. My two-person tent is pretty small so if one two-person and two one-person tents are allowed, I wonder if I could get away with saying it's a one-person.

Thanks!
mfster

Re: Backcountry Campsite Tent Restrictions

Postby paul » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:09 pm

I think the main thing is to make sure your tents fit within the boundaries of the tent site. On one of my trips we had 3 tents, 1 two-person and 2 solo tents. We didn't have an issue on that trip and I don't think park rangers mind if you stay within the boundaries of the designated site. The things that matter are the number of people and not to extend out into the area around the tent site.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
paul
Donator
Donator

Postby mfster » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:29 pm

Awesome, thanks Paul! That's super helpful.

Do you have any idea what the approximate dimensions of the tent sites are?
mfster

Postby paul » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:03 pm

The campsite sizes vary. Some are quite large and some not so big. I think most sites are big enough for 3 solo tents. Not sure if all sites can handle a two-person and 2 solos though. What camps do you have on your permit?

For dimensions my guess is the average site is 18x18 ft, but that's a really rough guess. I never actually measured any sites.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
paul
Donator
Donator

Postby mfster » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:07 pm

paul wrote:The campsite sizes vary. Some are quite large and some not so big. I think most sites are big enough for 3 solo tents. Not sure if all sites can handle a two-person and 2 solos though. What camps do you have on your permit?

Glenns Foot, Mokowanis Lake, Elizabeth Lake Foot, and Elizabeth Lake Head.

Alternately we could do two tents and one hammock, although I don't know if there are good spots for that at all the campsites.
mfster

Return to Camping