advice on time to visit last week of aug or after labour day

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

advice on time to visit last week of aug or after labour day

Postby jasonwe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:22 am

Hi

As topic says looking for advice on best time to visit , am coming from Ireland it will 2019 that I am going , I am lucky that I have the option of going last week in august or after labour day .
Main itinerary is hiking , have Pm'd Pete about routes and he was very helpful 8) . Main thing is the dates some people say last week in august is quite some say its extremely busy . I have no problem heading out early as jet lag will have me getting up early , found this was actually a great help with a visit in yosemite last september .
So if you had the choice which would it be , want to do hockey ref hike as main to do list , and it looks like the xantera bus is running from swiftcurrent until the 18th of sept this year so , it should not be a problem hopefully with less buses after labour day ? . I am not a fan of big crowds :P or traffic , then again who is .
Any advice or hints most welcome , hope this post is in correct form.

Thanks

Jason
jasonwe

Re: advice on time to visit last week of aug or after labour

Postby PeteE » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:36 am

Hi Jason:

I'd come the first week in September, or even the second week. Sept 1, 2019 is a Sunday.
There will be somewhat fewer people and most places and services will still be functional.
September brings a small risk of cooler weather, but that might be a plus for someone from your part of the world. 8)
Keeping in touch here on the chat this summer should help you make a decision.

pete :wink:
PeteE

Return to General Glacier Discussion