July 19-21

Let us know when you will be visiting,

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

July 19-21

Postby rachel_lia » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:23 pm

I am visiting Glacier for the first time from July 19-21. I'd like to hike the Highline Trail (or Scenic Point) and it is too strenuous for the others I'm going with. I was hoping there would be a ranger led hike available but it doesn't look like they have any scheduled through the park until the end of July. Is anyone else visiting during this time or does Highline have enough traffic that it's okay to go alone? I'm open to other hikes, too!

-Rachel
rachel_lia

Re: July 19-21

Postby llholmes1948 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:46 pm

Rachel,

The Highline when it is open (I don't think it is open yet) should be very busy and you should have no problem hiking it alone. However I think it would be better to hike with others so maybe someone on the Chat can join you or you can find someone by asking around when you are at the Park. There is no ranger hike that does the full Highline as I recall. I think the ranger hike when offered does a Logan Pass - Haystack Butte round trip.

I believe Scenic Point should have less people on the trail but it is a shorter and steeper trail.

On either hike you should carry bear spray or hike with those who do.

Hope you have a great time in the Park.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby mattB » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:24 pm

I've done both those hikes solo, and as Lyman said on the Highline trail there will be lots of people so you won't really be hiking alone, and because of all the people will be very unlikely to surprise a bear.
There won't be nearly as many people on Scenic Point, but the trail is mostly all out in the open, so you're not too likely to seen a bear and certainly unlikely to surprise one..
Carry your bearspray, be careful, and you'll be fine.

MattB
mattB
Donator
Donator

Postby rachel_lia » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks everyone! :)
rachel_lia

Return to 2018 Trip Dates