Work begins on Rebuilding Sperry

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Work begins on Rebuilding Sperry

Postby llholmes1948 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:46 am

Link to an item in the Missoulian. The Sperry Dining room will be open as mentioned in the article. Some areas such as Snyder Basin will be closed. Horseback rides to the Chalet may be available.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/work- ... 57f.html#1
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Re: Work begins on Rebuilding Sperry

Postby Sue Z » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:39 am

llholmes1948 wrote:The Sperry Dining room will be open as mentioned in the article

I wonder what they will be serving.
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Postby llholmes1948 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 am

Sue Z wrote:
llholmes1948 wrote:The Sperry Dining room will be open as mentioned in the article

I wonder what they will be serving.

In the past when the Chalet was open, lunch was usually soup and sandwich, which were very good and superior to the trail lunch if you happened to be around the Chalet at lunchtime (of course being out on the trail was the best option). The article says that the dining room will be open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. (apparently reservations are not required during those hours) and I assume they will be serving a lunch menu then. If I understand the article correctly, breakfast and dinner are also available but they require reservations by calling the Chalet office at 888-345-2649.

The Chalet website does not have any information as yet that I could find.

Hopefully someone can post a meal report and perhaps a photo of the menu.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby Sue Z » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:30 am

llholmes1948 wrote: The article says that the dining room will be open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Lyman

Thanks! I missed that part. Duh.
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Postby llholmes1948 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:12 pm

Sue Z wrote:
llholmes1948 wrote: The article says that the dining room will be open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Lyman

Thanks! I missed that part. Duh.

If I were planning to hike to or through the Sperry area and wanted to eat there it would probably be wise to call ahead to confirm that the dining room was going to be open. It would be a pretty awful thing to make a grueling hike to Sperry, through the unpleasant and dangerous forest of burnt trees about to fall on you, only to find the Chalet dining room closed or out of food.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby Sue Z » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:48 pm

llholmes1948 wrote:
If I were planning to hike to or through the Sperry area and wanted to eat there it would probably be wise to call ahead to confirm that the dining room was going to be open. It would be a pretty awful thing to make a grueling hike to Sperry, through the unpleasant and dangerous forest of burnt trees about to fall on you, only to find the Chalet dining room closed or out of food.

Lyman

I agree.
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:07 pm

I had their grill cheese sandwich and tomato soup...actually two each, because I was really hungry.
Home made and 5 stars on both from me.

pete :wink:

PS
Hiking up to Sperry will now be like hiking up the Loop trail to Granite Park, which in a word will be really s#%&@y
imo 8)
PeteE

Postby Sue Z » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:32 pm

PeteE wrote:PS
Hiking up to Sperry will now be like hiking up the Loop trail to Granite Park, which in a word will be really s#%&@y
imo 8)

Yes, but the dining room will be nice for people staying at Sperry Campground - especially those who hike in from the other side - less food to carry.
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Postby paul » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:08 am

I wonder what it will be like camping at the Sperry campsite with all the construction going on. I love that camp but with the construction noise and helicopter activity it might not be very peaceful.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
paul
Donator
Donator

Return to General Glacier Discussion