Logan Pass crowds - 8 a.m.

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Logan Pass crowds - 8 a.m.

Postby llholmes1948 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:59 pm

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Re: Logan Pass crowds - 8 a.m.

Postby PeteE » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:33 am

llholmes1948 wrote:Pete has warned us about this:

http://www.hungryhorsenews.com/local_ne ... ass_trails

Ah well....it wasn't a tough call. I could see it coming back in mid June--in years past a relatively quiet time.
This year, despite it raining like hell for days in June, every place that I saw was still jammed.

In the not too distant past, I would get to Logan around 6AM in early July, and there wouldn't be a soul around other than the Big Horns--Sam, XO and their buddies. 8)
I miss those days.

Here's two video clips from Sunday July 8th Dragon's Tail hike...see how things change from early AM to afternoon at Logan Pass.
In the first, I was on the overlook for about 10 minutes all alone 8)
In the video I say the time was 8:20. I had gotten there long before that.

And yes, I'm well aware that not everyone can, or even wants to get up early.
I'm a libertarian and y'all are adults, free to get up whenever you like! :mrgreen:

In the morning
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-58D ... r-1920.mp4

Afternoon
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Dd3 ... 5-1920.mp4
PeteE

Postby llholmes1948 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:25 am

Looks like it is quite a change from our last visit in 2014 when we stayed at Granite Park Chalet for a couple nights.

The night before the hike to Granite Park we spent the night in West Glacier. The next morning (July 12 - four years ago today) I think we left West Glacier probably 7:30 - 8:00 a.m. and drove to Avalanche, found a parking spot with no trouble, got on an Avalanche to Logan Pass shuttle without any problem and then got to the tralhead at the Loop.

Sounds like that would not be a likely schedule today.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby thorn726 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:02 pm

very glad i wake up with the sun when im outdoors. We're gonna get to Logan by 630am i think. Does anyone have any report on how crowded the shuttles are, are people being stuck in long cues because the shuttles are full ?
thorn726

Postby Jay w » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:36 pm

I don't have direct knowledge, but the shuttles were crowded and there were lines 5 years ago. With 3x the people, I can't imagine it's better.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Shuttle lines, like the future, are hard to predict.
Last Sunday, at around 2-3PM there weren't many people waiting at Logan Pass to go in either direction.
Maybe my friend Emlon will be working Tuesday at the Logan Pass parking lot and I'll ask him.
If you're in a hurry, or have a deadline to meet, the shuttle should probably be your last choice of alternatives.

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby llholmes1948 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Are we starting to see people hiking with headlamps in Glacier in order to beat the crowds? My daughter and her group hiked with headlamps at the beginning of their February climb of Mount Katahdin in Maine a few years back but it was because of insufficient daylight that time of year, not crowds.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby thorn726 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:06 am

thanks// sounds crowded, but we could get lucky/ good to know... at this point we only plan to ride the shuttle from Logan to Jackson and back later in the day, we'll assume we will have to wait /... I'd say we'll post a report ourselves Monday but i think we'll be away from the internet until we get home again...
Re: hiking with headlamps, we hope not but we do plan to start driving before it is fully light out. I wouldn't be surprised if it is happening... On our last day in the Park we might very well get going before dawn just to cram a few more miles in before our flight home...// Comedy on Whitney we start in the dark because of time constraints, but i say the real reason is you just dont want to see what you are getting yourself into for the first couple miles//
Super excited we are almost there/ arriving Sunday... I feel bad adding to the crowds, we know how you regulars feel/ in the last few years things have changed radically here as well, effectively shutting us out of some spots altogether. Hopefully shuttle service will get longer hours i could see that helping quite a bit.
thorn726

Postby PeteE » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:45 am

llholmes1948 wrote:Are we starting to see people hiking with headlamps in Glacier in order to beat the crowds? My daughter and her group hiked with headlamps at the beginning of their February climb of Mount Katahdin in Maine a few years back but it was because of insufficient daylight that time of year, not crowds.

Lyman

I don't think too many people hike in GNP when it's dark other than mountaineers getting an early start--or late finish.
And frankly, imo, "trail running" in GNP is a bad idea, especially early in the morning.

Hiking after dark back east wasn't a big deal. I used to hike to and from stands in the dark all the time when bowhunting.
But then I didn't have grizzly bears or lions to contend with in mountains of western VA.

If there was enough ambient light from moon and stars, I preferred to hike without a light.
Headlamps and flashlights screw up your night vision.

thorn726 wrote:...
Super excited we are almost there/ arriving Sunday... I feel bad adding to the crowds, we know how you regulars feel/ in the last few years things have changed radically here as well, effectively shutting us out of some spots altogether. Hopefully shuttle service will get longer hours i could see that helping quite a bit.

Don't worry about "adding to the crowds" on my account---or anyone else's either.
You just worry about getting here safely and have a good time. 8)

Why not drive to Jackson Overlook?
Get up early, pack a cold breakfast and stop to watch the sun rise at Logan Pass on the way to Jackson Overlook.
There will still be plenty of parking at Jackson Overlook at that hour. Dawn is a great time to be at Logan Pass.
Quiet and peaceful. Take a short walk up the board walk. Daybreak is a good time to see animals.

PeteE

Postby thorn726 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:09 pm

i agree Grizzly bears, moose, even the goats make hiking in the dark sound like a pretty scary and not the smartest idea in Glacier.
We're still back and forth on exactly where to park// we want to do hidden lake overlook And about 5 miles or so on the piegan and or CDT (from Jackson to Siyeh bend, not the most exciting hike but good for us)..
current plan is park at logan and do hidden lake first then take shuttle // do not want to move the car once it is parked... and that way we would be giving up a spot at Logan around 2 or 3 pm when people need it most..
thorn726

Postby PeteE » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:58 pm

thorn726 wrote:i agree Grizzly bears, moose, even the goats make hiking in the dark sound like a pretty scary and not the smartest idea in Glacier.
We're still back and forth on exactly where to park// we want to do hidden lake overlook And about 5 miles or so on the piegan and or CDT (from Jackson to Siyeh bend, not the most exciting hike but good for us)..

Jackson overlook to Siyeh bend is NOT a hike you want to do.Please trust me on that score.
The trail from the overlook to the trail junction where you'd hike down to Siyeh bend is a long grind uphill with virtually no view. You could be hiking anywhere in a Montana forest--a waste of time and energy.
There may also be a snow hazard still remaing at Siyeh bend. Chk trail condition on the GNP website page.
If you get to Logan by 0830 you'll get a place, the earlier the better.
You then have several options.
Instead of shuttling to Jackson overlook, get off at Sunrift Gorge. Then hike UPhill on the Siyeh pass trailas far as you like and come back down. Beautiful hiking and scenery.
And/or then hike to Baring Creek falls, a short way from the patking and shuttle stop.
From the falls you can come back to Sunrift gorge OR...hike on to the west and come back to the St Mary shuttle stop to get back to Logan pass.
You could do St Mary Falls and/or Virginia Falls if you have the time and inclination.

current plan is park at logan and do hidden lake first then take shuttle // do not want to move the car once it is parked... and that way we would be giving up a spot at Logan around 2 or 3 pm when people need it most..
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:15 pm

Another option, and maybe this is what you meant about the CDT.

Park at Logan Pass, shuttle to Siyeh Bend. The snow hazard at the trail head should be ok to cross by next week.
Hike up to Piegan Pass and back. Great hike with wonderful views.
About 9.4 miles round trip. Elevation gain is gradual.
Could be some remaining old snow "humps" on the trail, but they're no big deal.

A little over half way and you get out of the trees, the views open up nicely all the way to the pass.
The trail at that point is really nice, gaining elevation gradually. Up at the pass you can look over toward Many Glacier/Swiftcurrent.
Great out and back hike, partly on the CDT.

Piegan Pass Trail
Sun road at Siyeh Bend to Preston Park/ 2.7 mi.
Projected initial clearing date: 7/13/2018 per 650

Steep snowfield at trailhead. Trekking poles recommended. 10 trees down. 224 Swilliams 7/3/18
Spur from Jackson Overlook to Siyeh Bend Jct./ 1.3 mi.

Projected initial clearing date: Cleared 6/19/2018 per 650

Preston Park Jct. to Piegan Pass/ 1.8 mi.
Projected initial clearing date: 7/27/2018 per 650

Three soft, low-angle snowfields on upper section of trail. Trekking poles recommended per 224 Swilliams 7/3/18
PeteE

Postby joshillian » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:27 pm

Due to this thread and our upcoming trip to Glacier, I decided to try and leverage the GNP webcams a bit and try and gauge how early Logans Pass fills up.

I used a an app called Blit to take a screenshot of the Logan Pass webcam every half hour from 6AM to 7PM for the past several days.

Here are the screenshots from this morning fom 5 AM - 9 AM (in half hour increments).
https://imgur.com/a/9R4447X (all images together on imgur)

So it looks like the parking lot is effectively full on Saturdays between 7 and 7:30.
joshillian
Donator
Donator

Postby Sue Z » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:34 am

Perhaps the situation could be eased if there were earlier shuttles available? Early hikers have no choice but to take their cars, which adds to the crowding in the lots. There must be a reason they don't do it - maybe it's too dangerous for shuttles to drive in the early light and mist?
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:46 am

Sue Z wrote:Perhaps the situation could be eased if there were earlier shuttles available?
Maybe, but I doubt it. The problem is the overall increase in numbers of visitors.
Early hikers have no choice but to take their cars, which adds to the crowding in the lots.
I think that's partly true.
Many of the early arrivals at Logan are hikers who will be staying from a few hours to all day.
I'd gladly ride an expanded shuttle system if they offered a 0600 express shuttle from Apgar to Logan. 0500 would be better 8)
At today's gas prices, it cost me $25.00 to drive to Logan Pass and back home. Fuel costs are killing my budget.

There must be a reason they don't do it - maybe it's too dangerous for shuttles to drive in the early light and mist?
Dangerous driving conditions aren't the problem. There's plenty of daylight at 0500 during June, July and August.

It's money. There's currently no funding for expanding the shuttle.

But let's say they did expand the shuttle system.
Where would they park the cars for people riding the shuttles?

The parking lot at Apgar(and St Mary) is often filling up today by mid morning or earlier.
Yesterday, the St Mary lot was 2/3 full when I drove through around 8:00AM.

And late one afternoon last week, I drove around the Apgar lot for ten minutes before getting a spot to visit friends staying at the Village Inn.
No parking at all near the Inn. Cars were parked all along the road to the CG and the picnic area.

PeteE

Next

Return to General Glacier Discussion