Latest 2020 Season Opening News

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

al_in_al
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Latest 2020 Season Opening News

Post by al_in_al »

The slightly updated phased reopening plan is now posted on GNP's website:

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/openingplan.htm

Still no actual dates for the start of the first phase. Though it does indicate that Phase 2 will likely last through July.
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Post by PeteE »

PeteE wrote:I think this season is gonna be a GIANT cluster****
After carefully reading through this latest guidance, I'm more certain than ever that my observation above will prove to be true.

Here are a coupl bits from that guidance:

Limited Campgrounds
In Phase 2, Fish Creek and St. Mary Campgrounds will open for reservations through recreation.gov. Cleaning frequency of campground restrooms will increase. The remaining campgrounds are not expected to open.

Phase 3 Facilities and Operations:
Additional Campgrounds

During Phase 3, Apgar Campground may open to first-come, first-served, walk-in camping. Many Glacier Campground may open for camping by reservation-only through recreation.gov. The park will continue to assess operations and anticipated services based on the latest public health guidance. Rising Sun, Two Medicine, Cut Bank, Avalanche, and Sprague Creek Campgrounds, along with the campgrounds in the the North Fork area are not expected to open in 2020.

So where are visitors going to sleep?
Local motels? Really? Most if not all will have some sort of restrictions imposed by the state and/or the Feds. Others will have limited capacity due to lack of seasonal help. And some may not open at all.

The biggest takeaway in that document for me was there is no certainty about anything.
Look how many times the word "maybe", "may", "may not" and other ambiguous terms are used in that document.
How does anyone plan a trip out here after reading that document?

So...those of you who may be planning to come out here this year need to really think about the ramifications of all these proposed rules and guidance.

pete :wink:

PS
I will not be wearing a mask. 8)
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

PeteE wrote: The biggest takeaway in that document for me was there is no certainty about anything.
Look how many times the word "maybe", "may", "may not" and other ambiguous terms are used in that document.
My first uncertainty, before I even get to the park, is my flight - sure, it's still scheduled to fly in August, but will it? I keep hearing how airlines are making drastic cuts, yet there are still a ton of flights on the schedule. Who knows when they will tell me it's cancelled, or significantly altered.
PeteE wrote: How does anyone plan a trip out here after reading that document?
Luckily, I can be pretty flexible. I'm willing to change most aspects of my trip, and I can be patient and wait for more concrete info before I alter any plans. For most people, I think you just cancel and wait until next year so you don't have to deal with all this.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

You can’t go into the hotel lobbies unless you are an overnight guest. So where do dayhikers use the restrooms or eat their “to go” meals? I can see this being an issue in Many Glacier, for example, where the only picnic and outdoor restroom facilities are at the Grinnell Glacier trailhead, which isn’t close to many of the other trailheads. Presumably the campground restrooms would be closed. And where do people seek shelter if it’s raining?
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

teapot57 wrote:You can’t go into the hotel lobbies unless you are an overnight guest. So where do dayhikers use the restrooms or eat their “to go” meals? I can see this being an issue in Many Glacier, for example, where the only picnic and outdoor restroom facilities are at the Grinnell Glacier trailhead, which isn’t close to many of the other trailheads Presumably the campground restrooms would be closed. And where do people seek shelter if it’s raining?
Tina, the government bureaucrats and "micromanagers" in charge clearly haven't thought through any of these rules, policies, and procedures.
As a practical matter, how are they going to sort out the legitimate overnight guests from everyone else. They'll be lucky to have enough staff to do the normal everyday work.
How about the task of sanitizing the restrooms and "port-a-potties". How will they accomplish that task?

Like I said before---chaos will be the order of the day.
And we won't be one iota "safer" from the corona virus.
I favor the concept of common sense and "herd immunity".

pete :wink:

George Carlin
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

And the waste that will be generated from the to go meals . . .

My decision has been made for me with the border closure— I won’t be able to make it to the Park this summer unless the border opens and in my opinion, it won’t open for tourism any time soon. Maybe September if I’m lucky.
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

teapot57 wrote:You can’t go into the hotel lobbies unless you are an overnight guest. So where do dayhikers use the restrooms or eat their “to go” meals? I can see this being an issue in Many Glacier, for example, where the only picnic and outdoor restroom facilities are at the Grinnell Glacier trailhead, which isn’t close to many of the other trailheads Presumably the campground restrooms would be closed. And where do people seek shelter if it’s raining?
The way I read it, the plan does not specify that ONLY to-go meals will be available, just that it will be an option in Phase 2 and Phase 3. Maybe (total guess) there will be some indoor dining at some point, but at reduced capacity (which would make to-go meals necessary to meet demand -- and it might be some people's preference to avoid indoor dining - I'm avoiding it at home right now, but I don't know how I'll feel in August). On the other hand, maybe they don't want to worry about hiring and housing dining room staff? I keep checking Xanterra's website for updates on dining, but have seen none so far. The Glacier Park Collection website seems to indicate that indoor dining at reduced capacity will be available at their properties.

The Many Glacier situation concerns me, too. I think it will be difficult to keep day users away from the hotel, especially if they aren't prepared for this limitation. This is probably not the year to visit the Many Glacier Valley unless you are staying there. Otherwise, I guess you pretend it's like the shoulder season when the hotels aren't open. Prepare to use the picnic area toilets, take your own food, shelter in your car if needed.

If I'm not staying at Many Glacier, I assume that I won't hang out there this year. Currently, I have reservations at Swiftcurrent, and plan to hike Cracker Lake. After my hike, I'd return to my room to use the restroom. And eat either in my room, or at the picnic area, or even in my car somewhere. I'm seriously considering switching to a room at Many Glacier if I can find one, though.

I'm also curious about gift shops (are people not staying at the hotel allowed in the gift shop?) and restaurants that require you to enter the lobby to access (like Rising Sun).

So basically, who knows how this will all work out.
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

PeteE wrote: As a practical matter, how are they going to sort out the legitimate overnight guests from everyone else. They'll be lucky to have enough staff to do the normal everyday work.
I do agree with your overall point, chaos is likely.

However, I think they will use signs and that will probably get compliance from a lot of people. I know that if I encounter a sign that says an area is restricted to overnight guests only, I would follow the rules and not enter. They are probably not planning to check every single person who enters the hotel.
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

I'm pretty sure the NPS has got lots of people thinking about this problem and working on it, and they are trying to think through a LOT of different scenarios and Phases and situations, that in all likelihood are going to change a lot between now and then.
I think they are trying to come up with some workable plan that will allow Glacier to be open and abide by quarantine restrictions, and do that with reduced funding and staff. I think they're trying hard to come up with something so that Glacier can open even if on a very limited basis, rather than taking the simple and easy approach of just cancelling the entire 2020 season...
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Nice day at Many Glacier. Too bad none of us can enjoy it :(

George Carlin
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

Yes, it is too bad....the webcams are about as good as it will be for awhle.
My trip has been planned since last year. But my airline contacted me and flight was cancelled. Looks like I'll likely have to wait till next summer since everything is so unpredictable. This forum has been very helpful with keeping up with developments in Glacier. Thanks all you who contribute to it.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

teapot57 wrote: My decision has been made for me with the border closure— I won’t be able to make it to the Park this summer unless the border opens and in my opinion, it won’t open for tourism any time soon. Maybe September if I’m lucky.
teapot,
Be of good cheer. Canada's backcountry will be free of rabble from elsewhere and you will be able to enjoy in peace. (So hard to hit "cancel" on my Sept Berg Lake res!)
As well, BC (and I believe AB, others) is closing provincial parks to nonresidents for "the summer":
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5579086

I hope you enjoy the possibly ensuing space and stillness as much as the animals in US parks have enjoyed their territory without tourists this spring!
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Thanks, Selkie. I am looking at it as a time to enjoy what’s in my own backyard. I also had to cancel Berg Lake, but in August. I have Lake O’Hara, but only one night. Hoping to pick up at least one more since word is that the buses won’t be running, so I’ll have to hike in. I’ve also picked up a few nights in Kananaskis backcountry and hope to get a couple more in Banff when reservations open back up. But things have been booking up fast as soon as they open for reservation! The local demand is definitely there.
risingwolf

Post by risingwolf »

John Denver is rolling over in his grave

In 2020, Rocky Mountain National Park will implement a timed entry reservation system in order to reopen the park and meet the CDC, state and local guidance related to Covid-19.

Each private vehicle entering the park will need a reservation for each day the vehicle will be in the park. The person making the reservation needs to be in the vehicle at the time of entry, ID may be required at time of entry.

Park entrance fees are required at the time of reservation, no payment accepted when entering the park. Or if you have an annual or lifetime pass at the time of your reservation those are accepted as your entrance fee. Valid entrance passes accepted are: Rocky Mountain National Park Annual Pass, Interagency Annual Pass, Interagency Senior Pass, Interagency Access Pass, Interagency Volunteer Pass, Interagency Military Pass, Interagency 4th Grade Pass. Passholders will be required to pay the $2.00 reservation fee.

Booking Windows

Vehicle entry reservations will be available for advanced reservations beginning on May 28th for arrival dates between June 4 and July 31. Following this initial release of inventory, reservations will be available one month in advance on the first of the month at 8 a.m. MT. Example: On July 1, reservations will be available for the dates of August 1-31.
Vehicle entry reservations also available two days in advance at 8 a.m. MT on a rolling daily window. Example: On June 2, reservations will be available for June 4; on June 3 reservations will be available for June 5.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

This is not good news for Glacier National Park.
No way anyone can drive the GTTS road across the park before July 1st.

https://www.ktvq.com/blackfeet-tribal-o ... strictions

George Carlin

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”