Sad News - David Parker has passed away

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

calicotraveler
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Sad News - David Parker has passed away

Post by calicotraveler »

I'm so sorry to read this sad news! What he did by starting this chat room has helped me in a big way over the years. :cry:
The mountains are calling and I must go.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

teapot57 wrote:I am so sorry for your loss, Debby. My heart goes out to you.

I have never met Dave, but by creating this board, he has greatly enriched my life, and I’m sure many feel the same way. Even though the board is not as active as it was in the past, I would greatly miss it if it no longer existed. I have spent countless hours reading its contents, and my most favorite Glacier memories are those made with people I have met through this board, many of whom have become good friends.

I will be sending a donation in the hopes that the board will continue. But what I’m sending is a pittance compared to the value I’ve received from this community.

Tina
I don't think I could say it better either as Tina and I would not have hooked up to share such an awesome backpack last summer.

My deepest sympathy to you and the family.

Angela
JayAndersen
Gender?: Male

Post by JayAndersen »

Sorry to hear this. I don't post much but I've always valued this message board for the information and community.

:cry:
Bruce
Donator
Donator

Post by Bruce »

Very sad to learn of Dave's passing. The website has helped countless hikers over the years and remains an invaluable resource.

My condolences go out to Deb.

Rest in peace Dave
risingwolf

Post by risingwolf »

Thank you Dave for creating and maintaining GPC.
My deepest condolences to Dave’s family.
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Post by NDjason »

Debbie - So sorry for your loss. Dave truly built a great community here which has led to many lifelong friendships that otherwise would never have happened. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to meet you and him and thank you both for all of you've done for the members of this site. I hope this site can live on in Dave's memory!
~ jason
DawsonPass62

Post by DawsonPass62 »

My sincere condolences as well. This chat page has given me lots of guidance over the years. Hopefully, it can continue.
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Debby, I am so sorry to hear this news. Dave was definitely "one of the good ones." A truly kind human being.

I got to meet both you and Dave back in 2013. You may remember this. My friends and I were coming in from Columbia Falls, and you guys were already camped in the park. Dave was hooking me up with several cans of bear spray on loan. Then Hwy 2 was shut down due to an accident, so I called Dave back and he said "no problem, we'll just drive up the Camas Road, you drive up the North Fork road, and we'll meet you at the intersection." And that's exactly what you guys did. That was so far out of your way....I was blown away by your kindness and generosity.

I'll be putting another donation in as well, and would love to see this site continue.

All the best to you, and my condolensces.

-Scott
davidwayne

Post by davidwayne »

Debbie, so sorry for your loss. Dave's website has been helpful to so many people and a regular joy to visit. A donation is on the way.

Can you post an update later on as to the total dollar amount donated so far so everyone can see how close it is to the $450 to keep the site going? If it is close, I would suspect people might chip in more to save Dave's work and provide ongoing GNP information for others to enjoy.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Debby,

Like others, I never met Dave, but we had a common love of large format cameras and we had some discussions of ground glass. (I should pull out the 4x5 as I loved shooting it.) This forum has certainly brought people together in a common love of Glacier. There's a lot of people who read, but lately, not a lot of people who post. Still it's a unique resource.

I'm sure all this is overwhelming. Condolences.

Jay W.
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

davidwayne wrote: Can you post an update later on as to the total dollar amount donated so far so everyone can see how close it is to the $450 to keep the site going? If it is close, I would suspect people might chip in more to save Dave's work and provide ongoing GNP information for others to enjoy.
This is a great idea!
Debby P
Donator
Donator

Post by Debby P »

I'm overwhelmed, I would like to thank those of you who donated to the cause of the update. You have covered the cost of the upgrade to the board to the tune of $645.00 I'm very happy for both you and Davids legacy in what this board means to you and all those who love Glacier National Park. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Debby Parker
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Great to hear Debby! Keep letting us know if there's anything at all that we can do to help.
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

Yay Chatters! Y'all rock. :arrow:

And thank YOU, Debby.
mtrot

Post by mtrot »

Sincere condolences to the family. I never met Dave, but this chat has helped me in the past with info on GNP. And I believe Dave also helped me one time with respect to YNP. Made a modest donation.
Last edited by mtrot on Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”