Sad News - David Parker has passed away

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Kathy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Sad News - David Parker has passed away

Post by Kathy »

It is with great sadness that Dave Parker's wife, Debby, has asked me to notify the Chat Page users that Dave passed away last night. He, through this Chat Page, brought so many people together, and I personally, have so many amazing folks and wonderful friends in my world because of Dave and this Page.

Debby has asked me also to let people know that this board/chat page will be for sale, and she will entertain any and all offers. She can be contacted via email at roxi331@yahoo.com
"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."
So....Live well. - Laugh often. - Love much.----And get to Glacier as often as you can!
MISSY
Donator
Donator

Re: Sad News - David Parker has passed away

Post by MISSY »

My thoughts and prayers are with Debby and family. I'm grateful for Dave connecting us through a common love of Glacier and Nature. I have friends all over the United States thanks to this Chat group. I have made a donation though PayPal.
~~Missy (Texas)
Last edited by MISSY on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

This is Debby,
I want to thank all of you for you thoughts and prayers.

Regarding the fate of this board. The server company is upgrading the php version to a current version and this board will now run as it is on the new version of php. I have a deadline of 6/15 to update it or the site will go down. Ultimately, I'm looking for an interested buyer for it. Or I can have the server company update the board, they quoted 2-3 hours at 150.00 per hour so approx 450.00. When David died he did so without benefit of an insurance policy so I don't really have it to spend on this. If the board is important to you with all the information provided I would be open to getting it updated with your help. Donations to the update should be sent via paypal to deb@fvww.com. I wish I could do this without having to ask for donations to the cause but I'm sorry I can't.

Debby Parker
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Dear Debby,

We are so sorry to hear this sad news. Through the Chat, you and Dave have helped so many people and we have certainly benefited from it and made so many great friends. And of course we remember the wonderful Chat party at your home in 2008! Great memories.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Lyman and Carlene Holmes
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Selkie »

Thank you, Debby and Kathy, for word of Dave's passing and options for handling the board in the future.
Dave certainly launched something huge when he started the Chat. He made a difference in many people's lives.

I heard stories about those get-togethers, Debby, that you and he hosted, but unfortunately, was never able to attend one.
My thoughts are with you, and please holler if you need or would just welcome help in the coming days.
Marjorie
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by Ear Mountain »

So sorry to hear this news. My sincere condolences to you Debbie. Dave did so much to create a wonderful GNP community.
I received your call today but can’t reply as I traveling away from home and cell service is difficult. My thoughts and prayers to you.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Debby, like Doug, I'm stunned and at a loss for words. Please accept my condolences.
Kathy said it well about the community Dave created with the GNP chat.
I've met many wonderful folks on the chat over the last ten years--going back to the 2010 chat party at your house.
God bless you and may Dave rest in peace.

pete
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Debby, I'm so sorry for your loss. Please accept my sincere condolences. As others have said this chat page that Dave created and maintained brought many people from all over the country together and created so many friendships and adventures.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

Debby,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. And of the loss to all who knew and cared about Dave.

I never met Dave. Indeed, I don't believe I ever had a single direct interaction with him. However, by creating and hosting this site, he profoundly touched my life, and made it immeasurably better. For that, I will always be grateful to him.

I know you've probably heard it from many other people...how the generous sharing of information by people here created a remarkable, (and remarkably drama-free...usually :wink: ) virtual community. And how, for many of us, that virtual community evolved into lasting friendships. Including friendships that have migrated into our "real life" both in and outside of Glacier.

I probably would not have taken the life-changing, world-opening plunge into solo backpacking in 2013 had it not been for the inspiration I found in people's stories and pictures here. Nor would I have benefitted from the company of the other Chatters I have been blessed to share both front- and backcountry trail time with. How much sweeter a piece of Pie for Strength pie, or a Merc huckleberry bear claw is when devoured with (or delivered to) another Chatter! And a meal at Eddie's or Serranos or Two Med Grill is always more satisfying when it is enjoyed over stories with people who you know "get" this crazy love we have for that amazing landscape.

So thank you, Dave. And thank you, Debby. I am your debt.

Although I have admittedly been much less active on this site in recent years, it makes me very sad to think of it being shut down. In addition to the loss of existing and potential future community, it seems like a horrible waste for all the wonderful trip reports, useful trail information, inspiring photos, and other travel resource tips to simply be lost into the ether. I do hope that someone will be found who can continue hosting the site and carry on Dave's legacy here.

In the interim, I am ashamed to admit that it has been a few years since I have renewed my donation to this site. So, today I will be sending a donation to Debby via the paypal she referenced above, and I hope that a bunch of others will too so that we can at the very least help offset the costs Dave's family has incurred over the years in hosting this place, and maybe, just maybe help buy Debby a little time to find a new host...

In peace and gratitude,
Joyce
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

Like others, I am so surprised and saddened to hear this. Dave did such amazing work on this site and on bringing so many Glacier-lovers together. And I am not even accounting for the other things he did outside of this site!

I send my heartfelt condolences. Dave was always responsive to me on the occasions when I had questions or issues. Glacier has been such a big part of our lives, and my kids have literally grown up going there. None of it would be as rich and enjoyable without this site, Dave's support, and his willingness to host and maintain it on a regular basis. I have gotten so many crucial tips and ideas - even having been to Glacier for many years - from this site and the contributions of all the chatters.

Debby,
I will send a donation and if enough funds are not gathered, please use it for some other purpose to honor Dave.

My prayers are with you.
Meg
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

Debby, my condolences. I never met Dave, but certainly appreciate the work he did here.

I've enjoyed this website very much over the past few years - especially reading the great number of trip reports that have been posted. I made a small donation in hopes that this site can continue to be available in the future.
fmcdonald

Post by fmcdonald »

Debby, I am so sorry for your loss. Like others, I never met Dave, but came to know him through the chat page. I seldom post, but have learned so much from the page over the years and it has greatly enhanced our visits to the park.

I've made a donation through Pay Pal and hope that you can keep the page going.

Frances McDonald
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

Debby,
I am so sorry to hear of Dave’s passing. Mike (JustMike) and I send our heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

Dave, though we never had the chance to meet him and thank him, brought such a gift to our lives. GNP Chat enriched our ‘relationship’ with the park in ways I couldn’t have previously imagined. Through the rich community here of Glacier lovers, we made friends, hiked more challenging trails, visited backcountry sites we probably wouldn’t have, learned more about the flora and fauna, enjoyed stories of the lodges from days gone by, celebrated other individual’s accomplishments, and Ooh’ed and Aah’ed over picture after picture. Literally, Dave created something that gave us Glacier on a near daily basis, when our chance to visit the park is pretty rare and precious.

May you be comforted by wonderful memories of Dave and knowledge of the many lives he touched. We hope our modest donation can be of help.
In sympathy,
Tammy & Mike
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

I am so sorry for your loss, Debby. My heart goes out to you.

I have never met Dave, but by creating this board, he has greatly enriched my life, and I’m sure many feel the same way. Even though the board is not as active as it was in the past, I would greatly miss it if it no longer existed. I have spent countless hours reading its contents, and my most favorite Glacier memories are those made with people I have met through this board, many of whom have become good friends.

I will be sending a donation in the hopes that the board will continue. But what I’m sending is a pittance compared to the value I’ve received from this community.

Tina
Last edited by teapot57 on Sun May 31, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

teapot57 wrote:But what I’m sending is a pittance compared to the value I’ve received from this community.
So true. I feel the same way, but was not able to articulate it quite as well as you did.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”