Marriage proposal in Glacier

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

blaze10s
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Marriage proposal in Glacier

Post by blaze10s »

Hi everyone, looking for advice on best spot to propose in glacier. Any idea which hike/trail/scenic spot would be a good idea? I've never been before and we are going in early September. Thanks!
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Re: Marriage proposal in Glacier

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Do you plan to backcountry camp or to day hike from your car? What kind of hiking (distance, difficulty level) do you expect to do?

This kind of info will help us to make some recommendations.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by TnTammy »

Dragon’s Tail!

PeteE took us up there and the view is gorgeous!
Actually it’s the false summit of Dragon’s Tail.
It’s alittle off-trail but not difficult. Away from most of the crowd. An obvious topped out point looking onto Bearhat, Hidden Lake, and Reynolds. I thought it was very special and a place we’ll always want to return when we visit Glacier.

Wishing you unforgettable Proposal magic wherever you choose. Hoping you will share a photo on Chat!
Tam

2nd Choice: Pitamakin Overlook but that’s a really big day
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

TnTammy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:46 am Dragon’s Tail!

PeteE took us up there and the view is gorgeous!
Actually it’s the false summit of Dragon’s Tail.
It’s a little off-trail but not difficult. Away from most of the crowd. An obvious topped out point looking onto Bearhat, Hidden Lake, and Reynolds. I thought it was very special and a place we’ll always want to return when we visit Glacier.

Wishing you unforgettable Proposal magic wherever you choose. Hoping you will share a photo on Chat!
Tam

2nd Choice: Pitamakin Overlook but that’s a really big day
HELLO Ms Tammy and Mike! :mrgreen:

Yeah the Dragon's Tail would be a great place.
And it would be my choice for you IF it's open when you get here in September.
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/False ... -bVVhkW6/A
The bad news is that access is closed now due to the Hidden Lake trail closure...The park nannies decided the bears were a threat to people.
And sadly, it was probably the right decision considering how stupidly visitors have been behaving recently.
Coincidentally the trail was closed July 25th, the day I made the image above.

Avalanche Lake, another good location, is also closed now due to bear activity.

Of the places that remain open right now , an easy one to get to would be Virginia Falls.
I was there yesterday. You can see some people up at the base of the falls in the center of this picture.
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/St-Ma ... -bkXD72C/A

Mt Oberlin MIGHT be a choice. Even though the Hidden Lake trail is closed, the mountaineering
trail has not been blocked with signage or on the parks official website.
Nice views from up there.
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/8-20- ... -2MD9nML/A
It's not a difficult trail. I may go up there tomorrow morning.

Either Piegan Pass or Siyeh Pass would be nice places as well. Each are 1/2 day hikes round trip.(up to the pass and back down)
This view is from about 500ft above Piegan Pass which is at the bottom of the thin, dark ridge line in the center right of this picture.
It takes about another 45minutes to get to this point from Piegan Pass proper where I took the photo July 18th.
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/Piega ... -2HNKCSD/A

If you are in good shape, the summit of Piegan Mt has some awesome views.
It's an all day hike of 13miles and +-3500ft of elevation gain/loss.
Here's a summit panorama looking west towards Logan Pass I took on July 18th.
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/Piega ... -GcgHzK5/A

All the above suggestions ASSUME GOOD WEATHER. All can be quite dangerous in bad weather.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, most of the scenic areas reachable by day hiking of the park are closed.
There are some great ones that can be reached by backpacking, BUT...
Getting a permit these days is extremely difficult.

So there you have old Geezer Pete's suggestions.
Things could change before you get here. So stay in touch.
If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

pete :wink:

PS
The Highline Trail has a number of places with nice views. The trail head is at Logan Pass.
You absolutely MUST get to Logan Pass by 0730 to be assured of a parking space.
Oberlin is reached from Logan Pass, so if you choose Oberlin the same applies.
In fact, you need to get to all the trailheads by 0730 if you want a parking space.
It was a ZOO yesterday morning at the St Mary Falls parking area before 0730 since it's a small parking area.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

HELLO Ms Tammy and Mike! :mrgreen:

Yeah the Dragon's Tail would be a great place.
And it would be my choice for you IF it's open when you get here in September.
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/False ... -bVVhkW6/A

Big Shoutout to Pete back!!
Pedro, Mike and I have been following your Photography posts religiously and enjoying the simply beautiful pics you’ve been putting out there. Your Dragon’s Tail is spectacular! And so thrilled by your closeups of glacier lillies, and Colorful wildflowers in Preston Park area. Keep it up, it’s great to see you out there Geez!!

To the Original Poster, if you look at Pete’s “SNAPS” posts in the photography section, you’ll get a lot of great ideas. Please ignore that Pitimakin Overlook suggestion of mine as I forgot about east side trails being closed this year.
Food for thought...Pete suggested Highline, which has sweeping views. A few miles in, maybe ?3, is high point at Haystack Butte which makes for a picturesque lunch spot and turnaround point. People do scramble up on top of Haystack (perhaps from the backside) which would give that extra bit if adventure and privacy for your special moment. Maybe someone here who’s done that could comment and share pic.
Another astute suggestion came thru a dear Chatter friend. She’s noticed that there have been several cancellations at Sperry and Granite Park Chalet. Either are memorable trips and pose opportunities for Breathtaking scenery. Sperry would be extra special given its new launch back to life. 2 nights at Sperry would afford you the chance to do the beautiful hike up to the Comeau stairs, Sperry glacier, and best is the cute mountain goats. Sunsets are spent on a rocky outcrop below Sperry’s porch, where everyone gathers for the view...that would be a nice time, with folks & goats to share the moment!

Continued luck in your planning, Tam
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Find a bridge. Mountain behind, not too many people.
Do the deed.
Take Instagram pic.
Get ice cream.
Feel happy.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

THANK YOU TAMMY AND MIKE!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Glad you like my pics. I'll try to keep them coming.
I may have some good ones from today IF a couple of my panographics work.

The Hidden Lake Trail opened today---all the way to the lake.
So barring future closures the False Summit of the Dragon's Tail will be possible.
(Going again Wednesday with my friend Dan from AL and his group. :) )
The Haystack would be a good choice. It's roughly 4-4 1/2 miles one way to the top as I recall.
A little bit of route finding but the "trail" from the saddle is pretty easy to follow to the bear grass south slope.
From there it's just a steep(ish) walk up to the top, a long flat ridge with nice views to the north, south and west. East looks at the garden Wall.

I did the summit of Mt Oberlin today. I love scrambling around in the cliffs and ledges. 8)
Dark when I began at about 0600. Got to the summit about 0830 since I stopped a lot for pics. :D :D
Turned into a BEAUTIFUL DAY!!!!! I was up at the summit for 4+ hours 8)
I was alone until around 0945. Just me and a couple goats I took a zillion pics and video today.

Then people began arriving.
The geezer acted as a welcome wagon/tour guide recommending what I believe were the best hikes available considering all the closures.
Took lots of photos for the visitors so nobody would be left out. I enjoy doing that.
I was milling around smartly doing nothing much when when a group of five came up--a couple and some young folks.
The lady in the couple immediately said, "Haven't we met you? Last year up on the summit of Mt Aeneas in Jewel basin?"
And she was right! We had a good laugh about that.
SO HI to Dan and Ming :D :D

Anyway, I digress. The summit of Oberlin would be a great place for a proposal as well.
It does require a bit of scrambling when you get to the cliffs and ledges. Some route finding as well.
Pictures coming in the next few days down in my 2020 Snaps on Photography.

I would still go with the Dragon's Tail though :mrgreen:

Later

pete
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”