Night of the Grizzlies Video Clip

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Night of the Grizzlies Video Clip

Post by PeteE »

Here's a clip some of you might want to watch.

If someone out there is thinking of moving here or anywhere in Montana, here are several videos on this channel you should watch
pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Sue Z
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Night of the Grizzlies Video Clip

Post by Sue Z »

Nice follow-up to reading Night of the Grizzlies.

It made me want to hike over to Trout Lake!
Sue Z
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

That really explains why the garbage was the major problem. I worked in Yellowstone NP in the '60s and they had a large dump there which was a great draw for bears. Also employees would ride out in their cars at night to the dump. They would sit in their cars with the lights on just to watch the bears eating the garbage. That dump thankfully has been closed.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Post by PeteE »

This clip is from 1957 in Yellowstone. The 16mm film my dad shot this with got bad storage treatment. :(
I was 9 years old and my sister was 6 years old. The first minute or so was at Mt Rushmore. I had a dark striped T-shirt on.
I have a red t-shirt with white stripes. My sister has a red outfit.
We weren't worried at all hand feeding the bears. 8) The bears were literally everywhere back then.
In a dark sequence(3:04), an adult black bear leans in through the car window as my older brother(15) tempts the bear with bread.
The hot pots and pools we were playing in and writing our names in were along Yellowstone Lake somewhere.
There were no rules about that in "undesignated areas" along the road or lake back then.
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/Famil ... -qMW5zmM/A

"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

Wow! You are lucky to have any video at all from the 50's. Things had changed quite a bit by the 60's about bears. We were cautioned that bears were dangerous and to be careful around them. And not to feed them. Many people did, though, from their car windows. Also, I could see that you were very close to hot pools while you were there. That was considered a bad idea in the 60's. We did go "hot-potting" once. A ranger said he could take a group of us to a place where it was safe to do that. It was off the main road and was pleasantly warm water (not hot). We stayed in that wonderful warm water for about an hour. While we were there we saw up on a hillside about 100 yards from us my only "in the wild" sighting of a mountain lion. Highlight of the day.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

PeteE wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:54 pm This clip is from 1957 in Yellowstone. The 16mm film my dad shot this with got bad storage treatment. :(
I was 9 years old and my sister was 6 years old. The first minute or so was at Mt Rushmore. I had a dark striped T-shirt on.
I have a red t-shirt with white stripes. My sister has a red outfit.
We weren't worried at all hand feeding the bears. 8) The bears were literally everywhere back then.
In a dark sequence(3:04), an adult black bear leans in through the car window as my older brother(15) tempts the bear with bread.
The hot pots and pools we were playing in and writing our names in were along Yellowstone Lake somewhere.
There were no rules about that in "undesignated areas" along the road or lake back then.
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/Famil ... -qMW5zmM/A

that is incredible video Pete! My parents have video from their Yellowstone trip in 1956 but more geyser and waterfall action There was some bear action too but not to the level you have on that video... that's really quite amazing! No bear fear whatsoever and to be actually out with them, just WOW!

I was lucky to travel with my younger brother to Yellowstone for several days and somewhat followed their trip 59 years later in 2015 (but no bear action). We created our own movies; should have done it sooner when our parents were alive. My brother died 19 months later and I'm so grateful we got to repeat that trip.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”