Backcountry Trips August 2021

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

roarka13
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Backcountry Trips August 2021

Post by roarka13 »

Hey everyone!

My father in-law and I are spending a few days on Gunsight Trail. We have 3 nights 4 days planned for a leisurely hiking trip. I am concerned about accessing the trail because of the changes this year... We are entering at Jackson Glacier Overlook and exiting at Lake McDonald.

We have a car, we can attempt to get the shuttle tickets, and we will be getting GTTSR entry tickets as well. We already have our permits. Should I be concerned about getting to JG Overlook via shuttles or cars? Is there overnight parking?

I would hate for this to be insanely difficult to just access the trail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Backcountry Trips August 2021

Post by tibber »

I would suggest trying to get shuttle tickets even if you won't need to use them altho it looks like you will need one set.

Can't advise on overnite parking at TH's. We used to do that but I'm not sure. Perhaps call or email the ranger station? Actually we need to do that as we have two nites at Gunsight and we'd like to park at Jackson; We bot shuttle tickets just in case we can't park at Jackson or if there isn't parking available.

You shouldn't need GTTSR ticket because you have permits along GTTSR... at least, that's my understanding.

I would think you could leave your car at the end and shuttle to the beginning.

And you're right, it's complicated trying to do all these tricks.

The other thing is maybe post your dates on here and some of us might be in the area and can help out in some way.

UPDATE: I emailed:
Based on reading your website https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttlestops.htm it looks to me like The Loop and Jackson Glacier Overlook are stops on the shuttle systems altho the top diagram doesn't indicate that. It's a little confusing as somewhere I read the shuttle driver will drop you off at these stops if requested but will not pick up passengers. Sure makes it hard for us backpackers to figure out our transportation. I'm hoping you can address this for me and I will pass it along to the others on the "glacier chat" forum.

Second, are we going to be able to overnite park at Jackson Overlook (we have two nites booked at Gunsight)?

I know you're so busy so I appreciate your time. I will share your info with others.
from the Park Service:
The graphic needs updating. The Loop and Jackson Glacier Overlook were recently added to the system to accommodate hikers and backcountry users.

There is parking at the Gunsight Pass Trailhead, just down the road a few hundred feet from the shuttle stop. You may park your car there but you are not allowed to sleep overnight in it unless it is in a designated campground.
So I assume the shuttle stops include picking up and dropping off altho the response is not clear.

And I assume we can leave our car at the road by the Jackson Overlook but just not sleep in it.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

You can park at either or both of your trailheads(2 cars). And you MUST park at the trail head(s) on your permit.
You cannot park just where you want. Sooooo....

You need to make certain that you entered the vehicle registration(s) data on your permit.
Law Enforcement will check parked vehicles registrations against the permit list. Your car(s) need to be "on the list" 8)

I have no first hand info on those other issues.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Thanks Tibber - that answers that!

Hi Pete, is that a new rule regarding having to park at the trailhead? I was thinking of splitting the difference this year at Logan (and avoid the shuttle connection that was brutal 2 years ago) now that I confirmed backpackers can get shuttle bracelets in advance of 72 hours.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

All I can tell you is that is what I was told in the BC Office a few weeks back. She is a fairly senior ranger too.
I think I posted something on the chat somewhere after that visit.
Were I you, I would phone someone in the BC office and find out for sure.
It's entirely possible that I, misheard/misinterpreted what she told me, or the "rule" changed.
I'd drive out there tomorrow, but those days are long gone.
I'll try calling them too.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
roarka13

Post by roarka13 »

tibber wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:00 pm I would suggest trying to get shuttle tickets even if you won't need to use them altho it looks like you will need one set.

Can't advise on overnite parking at TH's. We used to do that but I'm not sure. Perhaps call or email the ranger station? Actually we need to do that as we have two nites at Gunsight and we'd like to park at Jackson; We bot shuttle tickets just in case we can't park at Jackson or if there isn't parking available.

You shouldn't need GTTSR ticket because you have permits along GTTSR... at least, that's my understanding.

I would think you could leave your car at the end and shuttle to the beginning.

And you're right, it's complicated trying to do all these tricks.

The other thing is maybe post your dates on here and some of us might be in the area and can help out in some way.

UPDATE: I emailed:
Based on reading your website https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttlestops.htm it looks to me like The Loop and Jackson Glacier Overlook are stops on the shuttle systems altho the top diagram doesn't indicate that. It's a little confusing as somewhere I read the shuttle driver will drop you off at these stops if requested but will not pick up passengers. Sure makes it hard for us backpackers to figure out our transportation. I'm hoping you can address this for me and I will pass it along to the others on the "glacier chat" forum.

Second, are we going to be able to overnite park at Jackson Overlook (we have two nites booked at Gunsight)?

I know you're so busy so I appreciate your time. I will share your info with others.
from the Park Service:
The graphic needs updating. The Loop and Jackson Glacier Overlook were recently added to the system to accommodate hikers and backcountry users.

There is parking at the Gunsight Pass Trailhead, just down the road a few hundred feet from the shuttle stop. You may park your car there but you are not allowed to sleep overnight in it unless it is in a designated campground.
So I assume the shuttle stops include picking up and dropping off altho the response is not clear.

And I assume we can leave our car at the road by the Jackson Overlook but just not sleep in it.
UPDATED***

Quote from the Backcountry Office:
Hi

First, the shuttles are by reservation only this summer and you should take care of that right away. I just checked and there are tickets available for the days you want at both the Apgar and St. Mary Visitor Centers. You will need to select one or the other and then validate your tickets at that visitor center prior to your hike. Pick whichever is most convenient for you. Go to the visitor center and validate the shuttle tickets for both days. Since you are unable to get to a visitor center on the last day you will need to validate that before you start your trip.

Second, we have added the Loop and Jackson Glacier Overlook back into the shuttle schedule for the summer.

My recommendation for people doing hikes that involve a shuttle is to do the shuttle portion at the beginning of the hike. That way when you end, your car is there, and you don't have to fiddle around with waiting for the bus. What you will likely want is a cold drink and not to be hanging around the bus stop at the end of your hike.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

Bill Hayden
We are planning to pack in on August 30th and Exit on September 2nd. We are from Indiana and I have always had a lot of luck in the past while having a car, but the rental prices are so extreme this year to get a second car right now.

The plan originally was always to park at Lake McDonald Lodge which is our exit point. We enter at Jackson Glacier Overlook. I secured some shuttle tickets just in case from St. Mary's on 8/30, but the problem is we are doing a casual gunsight trip because my father-in-law is getting older and wanting him to enjoy the scenery and take it slow. We are doing Gunsight Lake (8/30), Lake Ellen Wilson (8/31), and Sperry (9/1), exit the 2nd. This could cause a problem with validating the tickets ahead of time. We couldn't get anything from Apgar early enough so we talked about doing St. Mary's first thing in the morning to JGO, but the problem still remains of getting back to the car at St. Marys. In an ideal world we would have an exit at Lake Mcdonald with the car there.

If anyone is out that way as well at the same time, we are happy to connect and try and snag a ride up that way. We are staying in Apgar the 29th and getting BC permits so we can start early.

Love this forum! Thank you all for your help and suggestions!
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Sounds like a great trip - I'll be right behind you finishing Gunsight on the 4th and in a similar situation.

I'm going to reach out to GNP once the respond to my current email regarding Pete's parking restriction comments. If you can't park at Lake McDonald due to not having shuttle tickets, perhaps instead park at Logan pass and shuttle down to Jackson Glacier Overlook on the St. Mary shuttle (which I understand you have tickets for), and then on the last day, shuttle up to Logan. This avoids a shuttle connection at Logan.

Keep in mind, additional shuttle capacity (25%) opens 48 hours in advance. There is also the chance that shuttle occupancy restrictions go away as conditions approve. I wouldn't bet on either of them, but have them in your back pocket as a way to 'improve' as the dates get closer.

All that said, it looks like there will be 'connections' at Avalanche (which I think there always has been) and Sun Point (which I think is new). My experience at Avalanche was that you had to get off if there were people waiting to go up (if starting the shuttle at Apgar). The other concern is that they are metering people very specifically with the ticket intervals, and explicitly say to contact staff in advance if boarding somewhere other than Apgar or St Mary (inferring open seats probably won't be available without coordination). Trying to catch a bus at a specific time coming out of the bush isn't a fun strategy.
If visitors plan on boarding at an en route stop (i.e. Lake McDonald Lodge, Avalanche Campground, Rising Sun, or the Rising Sun Boat Dock), they must communicate to transit staff during their advanced check-in at the Visitors Center, to ensure seats are saved for them.
I also just spotted this one today:
A limited amount of walk up tickets will be set aside for visitors without smart phones, credit cards, or e-mail accounts.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”