Help! Are East side roads closed after Sept 23??

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

kimmar
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Help! Are East side roads closed after Sept 23??

Post by kimmar »

We are hoping to hike Iceberg Lake and Grinnell Glacier in the Many Glacier/Swiftcurrent Area; Morningstar Lake starting from Cutbank campground, and one of the waterfall hikes around Two Medicine Sept 23-28.

Two questions:
1. Looking at info on the GNP website, it looks like the road to Many Glacier closes Sept 22nd (??)- I had no idea they closed the road that early... Does that mean just the short road leading to the Hotel, or the entire road from Babb to Swiftcurrent?
2. It also said the Cutbank road was closed...is this for the rest of the season??

If so we are screwed..... 5 days on the east side with no access to hikes... Please advise!
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Help! Are East side roads closed after Sept 23??

Post by orin »

The Many Glacier road closes for the year on the evening of Sept. 19. It is normally open much later but the road is being rebuilt this year. So you are out of luck there. You won’t be able to do any Many Glacier hikes. The Cut Bank road is closed at the ranger station last I checked and has been all year due to short staffing. So no camping there but you could hike. You would have to hike an extra half mile or so to the trailhead. Two Medicine will be open. So if you had your heart set on Many you will be disappointed. But there are still many great hikes available on the east side. Dawson-Pitamakin, Cobalt Lake/Two Medicine Pass, Scenic Point, Medicine Grizzly Lake, Belly River ranger station, Lee Ridge, Siyeh Pass, Otokomi Lake, Highline, Firebrand Pass, and quite a few others. Plenty to fill a week.
kimmar
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Help! Are East side roads closed after Sept 23??

Post by kimmar »

ah, I see. That is sooo disappointing but we will make the best of it. It will force us to explore Two Med and Cutbank further. I tend to fall back on Many Glacier hikes, they are incredible.

Thanks SO much for the info, so helpful! Really appreciate the response.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”