Books and such

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

solohiker5555
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Books and such

Post by solohiker5555 »

Hi All - I've recently been enjoying several books and other works (fiction and non-fiction) set in and around GNP. It would be great to hear about others you may know about. The ones I have read recently are several by Christine Carbo and several by John Fraley, all of which can be found through your favorite online bookstore or search engine. Also a spooky one by Sarah Lamparelli which is harder to find bc it is part of a larger collection and the only one dealing with GNP). It is called Stolen Property and can be located here: https://shop.ttapress.com/products/blac ... uble-issue. These are in addition to The Night of the Grizzlies, of course. What else is out there?
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Books and such

Post by Selkie »

Doug Peacock, Grizzly Years.
Peacock returned from Viet Nam and sought refuge and healing in the wilderness of American West, becoming an advocate for grizzlies. He is still working hard as a wildlife activist in the Yaak and Libby.
He served as lookout in Scalplock, possibly wrote part of the book there (I don't remember). Several bear encounters he recorded took place in Glacier.

Edward Abbey was posted to Numa Lookout, in the North Fork, and wrote The Monkeywrench Gang there.
Lots of books about Glacier, as attested by my overflowing bookshelves.

Montana Historical Society produces and sells many interesting books on Glacier. Just looking over its website now, I am reminded of View with a Room: Glacier's Historic Hotels and Chalets. I read most of it during a stay at Sperry Chalet; it was among the books stocked by the chalet.
The Montana Historical Society used to have a store by or in West Glacier Amtrak Station.
https://app.mt.gov/shop/mhsstore/glacier-park?orderby=6
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

For serious Glacier history buffs, John Taliaferro wrote a biography a couple of years ago,

Grinnell: America's Environmental Pioneer and His Restless Drive to Save the West.

https://www.amazon.com/Grinnell-America ... ks&sr=1-14

In addition to his history at Glacier he also traveled with Custer a couple of years before the Little Bighorn, helped found the Audubon Society and the Boone and Crockett Club (with Teddy Roosevelt), advocated for Yellowstone against its early exploiters, supported legislation that established what would become the first National Forests, and wrote ethnographies of the Blackfeet, Cheyennes and Pawnees among other things. Quite a remarkable man. Searching his name on Amazon will bring up a long list of books he actually wrote.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Orin,
Thanks for this recommendation.
The book looks well written, and substantial (as was and is the family): the index begins on p. 587.

There are some interesting accounts of Salish and Blackfeet life before US gov't intervention as a major player in the region; would need to check for titles.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by Ear Mountain »

For history buffs and for those wondering what it was like in Glacier before modern conveniences here are two rare books:

1. Avalanche by Albert L. Sperry ©1938 The Christopher Publishing House, Boston MA. Albert L. Sperry was the son of Dr. Lyman Sperry. The book chronicles trips to what is now Glacier National Park in 1894, 1895, 1897 with the intent to search for the glacier that now bears the name Sperry. There are numerous photographs originally taken on glass plates that are included in the book. The men behind names such as Comeau, Shephard and Sperry (among others) come to life. Check rare and out of print sources for this one.

2. The High Trails of Glacier National Park by Margaret Thompson ©1936 The Caxton Printers, Caldwell ID. Margaret Thompson describes Glacier and its trails as it was in the 1930s. The book includes numerous photographs of backcountry and front country scenes in Glacier during that time.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

If you like the Nevada Barr mysteries, which are set in the national parks, you could try Blood Lure, which is set in Glacier. Maybe not the best of the series, but it was fun to read it while I was in the Glacier backcountry. [Note: Some of the details were a little off, probably because the rules were different in the park 20 years ago.]
Sue Z

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”