No Pete and No New Members?

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

davidwayne
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

No Pete and No New Members?

Post by davidwayne »

I did a little checking since Pete says he cannot get his account approved to log back on. Evidently there have not been any new members approved since Dec of 2020. The two remaining Administrators, Kathy and Debbie P, have not been listed as active on the board since 2021. So someone wanting to become a member of this site is not able because there is no one to approve their request? Does anyone have information as to the current management of the site?
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Re: No Pete and No New Members?

Post by Ear Mountain »

I sent an email and Messenger message to Kathy a long time ago and didn't get a reply. I know she is still around because she occasionally (but rarely) hits the like button on a Facebook post of mine. Don't know about Debbie but one or both of them need to make someone else an administrator in order to solve this problem.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

It would be good if someone could contact the moderators and make a plan to maintain administration (transition if necessary) such that the basics Iike new user approval and password resets can be achieved.
MISSY
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by MISSY »

I'll reach out and see what information I can gather.
I'll post an update.
Missy
davidwayne

Post by davidwayne »

zozeppelin wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:27 am It would be good if someone could contact the moderators and make a plan to maintain administration (transition if necessary) such that the basics Iike new user approval and password resets can be achieved.
It appears the so-called moderators have little integrity if they have left the board without anyone at the rudder for so long. Sad that so many of us ponied up money to keep the board alive after the founder passed away only to have this happen.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

Whereas it is regrettable that the only active moderator* appears to be Ear Mountain, the others were stealing away (or disengaging) before Dave Parker's death. I agree they should be no longer be listed as moderators. As the board has lost functionality, that may not be possible.

The monies donated to Dave Parker's widow were intended to keep the site up in some form after she could not find a buyer. That goal appears to have been met. You could certainly contact her to see if she plans to transition the site.

*Moderators are not administrators.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Sorry to be dense, but what is the difference?

I click on administrators and I see Dave, Kathy, Debbie and dpratt.
I click on moderators and see Dave, Kathy, Debbie and Tara.

I realize I’m the new kid on the block here so it’s not my place to say, but shouldn’t we be doing something?
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Sorry, I didn't realize they were also listed as administrators.
Admin usually works behind the scenes to keep the site running smoothly, popping up infrequently with announcement of a system change, for example. As far as I know, Dave Parker was the actual "SysAdmin" (though he may have offloaded it to external management).
There are groups that perform administrative duties from an external position. The site owner (or lead administrator, with owner's permission) needs to engage them. That's my understanding. So it really comes down to what Deb Parker wants to do.

@Ear Mountain: please feel free to hop on and clarify.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hi gang... I thought I would chime in with what I know for what it's worth. I reached out to Deb about a week ago and offered to take over all expenses as well as take on the system administration role in an effort to get the site fully functional and moving forward again. I also offered some money on top of that to her to help make it happen. It's been a few days since i've heard from her now, but i'm hoping she takes me up on it as I would hate to lose the history here. I'll reach out to her again in a few more days if I haven't heard anything back. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks gang!
🧊🐥🐥
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Selkie wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:54 pm Sorry, I didn't realize they were also listed as administrators.
Admin usually works behind the scenes to keep the site running smoothly, popping up infrequently with announcement of a system change, for example. As far as I know, Dave Parker was the actual "SysAdmin" (though he may have offloaded it to external management).
There are groups that perform administrative duties from an external position. The site owner (or lead administrator, with owner's permission) needs to engage them. That's my understanding. So it really comes down to what Deb Parker wants to do.

@Ear Mountain: please feel free to hop on and clarify.
The various titles indicate differing capabilities with respect to management of this form. The definitions below are from the FAQ pages from this forum.

Moderators are individuals (or groups of individuals) who look after the forums from day to day. They have the authority to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. Generally, moderators are present to prevent users from going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material.

Administrators are members assigned with the highest level of control over the entire board. These members can control all facets of board operation, including setting permissions, banning users, creating usergroups or moderators, etc., dependent upon the board founder and what permissions he or she has given the other administrators. They may also have full moderator capabilities in all forums, depending on the settings put forth by the board founder.

The definition of Site Administrator is apparently not described in the FAQ section. At least I didn't find it. A Site Administrator has the the ability to assign privileges to Administrators and Moderators. The only listed Site Administrator is Dave Parker the original owner and developer of this forum.

I am listed as a moderator but the permission to moderate only extends to the Hiking topic. In that topic I can edit and delete posts although I rarely have done that. I took a quick look at

A quick look through the topics also shows Hockey Ref and Dorf as moderators. Unfortunately we lost Hockey Ref some time ago; a big loss to our community. Dorf has not been active for many years here. Tara is a global moderator in that she can moderate any topic. Kathy is listed as an Administrator with greater privileges. I do not know what privileges Dave Parked (daveparker) assigned to her.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Hi gang... I thought I would chime in with what I know for what it's worth. I reached out to Deb about a week ago and offered to take over all expenses as well as take on the system administration role in an effort to get the site fully functional and moving forward again. I also offered some money on top of that to her to help make it happen. It's been a few days since i've heard from her now, but i'm hoping she takes me up on it as I would hate to lose the history here. I'll reach out to her again in a few more days if I haven't heard anything back. Hopefully this helps.
Thanks, Kyle, for your efforts in reaching out to Debbie and trying to save the site. I know with your background you would be a great administrator if things were to fall into place.

Thanks also to Ear Mountain for the explanation of the different roles.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Wow Kyle. No one does that.

Thank you.
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
MISSY
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by MISSY »

I've glad you reached out to Deb. Good thoughts she will accept your offer to keep the Chat alive.
I'll be watching for updates.
Missy
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hi gang.... I don't have much new to report, other than to say I haven't heard back from Deb for a while. I last heard from her on April 13th. I sent her my offer and explanation as to why on April 14th in hopes to have a further conversation. I replied one more time on April 22 in case my previous email was lost. I will keep trying. Fingers crossed. Cheers!

Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Kyle,
Thanks for the update. A ton of respect and gratitude for your initiative and effort. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”