Sun Road tickets for July

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Sun Road tickets for July

Post by paul »

I was wondering if anyone tried to purchase tickets to access the Sun Road for July. March 1st was supposed to be the day they became available. Was anyone successful at getting them? I have friend who tried on March 1st at 8am Mountain time. He said there were no tickets available for any dates.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
Deb1741
Gender?: Female

Re: Sun Road tickets for July

Post by Deb1741 »

There is an interesting thread on the Trip Advisor Glacier Park forum about getting vehicle reservation tickets for July.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g ... ntana.html

Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Thanks Deb,

From what I'm reading on various web sources, the tickets go really fast and people are booking reservations by getting everyone in their group to try to book tickets at the same time. Hence, there is over booking by some people who probably won't bother to cancel a $2 reservation.

Paul
Deb1741
Gender?: Female

Post by Deb1741 »

paul wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:01 am Thanks Deb,

From what I'm reading on various web sources, the tickets go really fast and people are booking reservations by getting everyone in their group to try to book tickets at the same time. Hence, there is over booking by some people who probably won't bother to cancel a $2 reservation.

Paul
I think that's what's happening too. It's frustrating and while I understand their reasoning in doing it, it's not really a fair system. I bet if each reservation ticket cost $20 it would cut down a lot of multiple bookings by people that have no intention to use all of the tickets or cancel the ones they don't need.

My grandson and I have been thinking about taking a trip to Glacier this summer as it's been about 5 years since we've spent some time in the park other than driving up/back to the park to do some star photography while staying at a cabin we rent on Flathead Lake each August. If we go, we'll probably just stay on the east side of the park and enter before 6 am. I gave up on trying to get a reservation at Many Glacier Campground, though we could try for one of the campsites that are released 2 days out. I'm reluctant to do that though as it's hard to plan for a trip as my grandson has to put in for days off from his work way before that.

Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Hi Deb,

I think you are right that getting to the park before 6:00am is probably the easiest workaround. I wonder if the gates are really manned starting at 6am anyway. I didn't see any gates attended when I was there last year. Someone said nobody was at the Many Glacier gate either.

-Paul
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

My daughter was able to get tickets for the Sun Road, Many Glacier and Two Medicine on March 1 for July. She was able to book them all herself.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Well that's good, Lyman. I see posts online where people had a really difficult time of it.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

30 minutes for Going to the Sun and 10 minutes for North Fork and Many Glacier for the entire month of July when they went on sale the 1st.

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2023/03/06/g ... of-summer/
ptguard
Donator
Donator

Post by ptguard »

nope, i tried & all were sold out. we have mgh reservations for 2 nights & 1 night at granite park chalet. i'm assuming we can travel with copies of those with us & won't need a gttsr pass.

i'm more curious which route we're going to have to take to get to gpc. hoping we can do the highline out & back again but if not i guess we'll go for swiftcurrent pass, which i guess isn't any harder than doing the hike from lake mcdonald up to sperry. if those are still closed by july 10th we'll do the loop. we've done it all 3 ways but we're going for the easier route this time. :D
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Reminder- August tickets go on sale tomorrow (Saturday).

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”