Matt's Glacier Route Planner!!! Its Back!!!

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Matt's Glacier Route Planner!!! Its Back!!!

Post by mattB »

With Dave's help I got an account setup on the nationalparkschat.com server, and uploaded the routeplanner!
I haven't done much testing but it seems to be working!
I haven't yet uploaded any camp site details, so if you try to click on the "Details" button for a camp site you'll get an error.

Here's the path to the calculator:
http://www.mattb.nationalparkschat.com/ ... lanner.htm

I might make some updates so you don't have to use that entire path name, or you can just bookmark it.. It won't be moving, so that address should always work.

Let me know if you have any problems. I've only tested it with Firefox browser, there may be issues with Safari or Chrome..

Matt
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Matt's Glacier Route Planner!!! Its Back!!!

Post by daveparker »

Hi Matt and others, I did take a small amount of liberty and made it so you can just go to http://mattb.nationalparkschat.com and it will bring the planner up, it is its own website. Let me or Matt know if you have difficulties.

I was playing and it is a nice system for planning your hikes out with the information you may need.

Dave
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

Excellent! A big thank you to MattB and Dave!
mattB

Post by mattB »

I decided since it has a new home, maybe it was time for some cleanup!!
I just uploaded a new version, just changed the layout around a little bit.
Hopefully it will be a litte less cluttered and easier to read, but the new version also has a link to the previous verion if
you prefer that layout...
Let me know what you think, I can easily switch back to the old version if people prefer that one..

Also, let me know if you find missing or incorrect data, I know there are a few bugs in it...

The Camp Site Details button still doesn't work, but I'm going to try and upload some of those files in the next day or two, I think I only had details for 5-10 campsites, If anyone has knowledge or details for any of the backcountry campsites and wants to write up a little description I will upload it for the route planner...
mattB

Post by mattB »

I uploaded the camp_site details files, so I think there are "details" and in some cases a few pictures for about 10-15 campsites.
So the "Details" button should work, and will open a page with a short description, how many sites, are fires allowed etc, for a few of the campsites..

I did also uncover a bug... Don't try to include the Adair site on Logging Lake in your itinerary!! It is the very first one of all the campsites in my list and that is causing a problem, so for now, don't go there!! :D :)
I think I have a fix, but haven't uploaded it yet...
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

Hey Matt!

Thank you again for having created this very useful tool. And thanks to Dave for making sure it has a home again!

Looking forward to playing with it again and dreaming of my next permit. :arrow:

Let us know if you want us to submit photos to you for your campground detail pages...
griffin

Post by griffin »

Very cool! Thank you for making this and sharing it - wish I'd had something like this when I was planning my Glacier trip.
joshillian
Donator
Donator

Post by joshillian »

Hey Matt -- this is really a useful tool! Thanks for publishing it for everyones use :)

What's the mileage cutoff that you're for populating the next set of drop downs -- 11 or 12 miles?
mattB

Post by mattB »

joshillian wrote:Hey Matt -- this is really a useful tool! Thanks for publishing it for everyones use :)

What's the mileage cutoff that you're for populating the next set of drop downs -- 11 or 12 miles?
Glad, you find it usefull! DaveP deserves part of the credit for setting me up with a place to host it..

Yes, I think the mileage cutoff is something like 10-12 miles... but its not actually any set number.
The planner is really pretty poorly designed, so it doesn't automatically check all the next campsites to see which ones are within range, but the database I created contains for each campsite all the other sites that are within reach of that site... And so when I was adding all that data I just put in the sites that I felt like I'd consider doing in a days hike...
Plus there are also some of missed..

I would like to redesign it so that campsites were all stored as a network, with mileage between each node of the network, and then the calculator could just traverse the network from the current node and find all sites that were within the mileage cutoff.....
But initially, I just went with a manual brute force approach, and have never gotten around to doing it correctly..

If you find anything that looks odd or wrong, or find missing data that you'd like me to add, let me know. Its relatively easy to update it now, especially if you know the missing or correct mileages or elevation changes...

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”