2019 Backcountry Permits

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

ohioguy
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2019 Backcountry Permits

Post by ohioguy »

Well got my email today, got nuthing.

Put in for variations of JAN to BOL and back with a 30 day window, still nothing available
going to ponder the walk in route, which we have be lucky at, or Tetons.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

Is anyone still waiting to hear back on a permit?
Geode

Post by Geode »

Yeah, I'm still waiting on two of my applications. I heard back from the other two (the first had no options available, the other I got my second option). Congrats to everyone else that got a permit!

Anyone have a recommended time to arrive to get a walk-up permit? I'll likely be doing that :) I had pretty poor lottery numbers apparently.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Geode wrote:Yeah, I'm still waiting on two of my applications. I heard back from the other two (the first had no options available, the other I got my second option). Congrats to everyone else that got a permit!

Anyone have a recommended time to arrive to get a walk-up permit? I'll likely be doing that :) I had pretty poor lottery numbers apparently.
Some will tell you 0600 is early enough, and sometimes it is. However...
IMO...It all depends on how badly you want a permit, or to improve a permit you already have.
If you are first or second in line, preferably first...you stand a pretty good chance of getting your change, or a new permit.

If I can find my 2 minute video, I'll post it when I get back from the park.
The weather is going to crap for the next few days, so I'm off to get a few pics today while it's nice. :)

Take a look at this old post of mine 8)

Apgar BC Office line. A picture is worth a 1000 words 8)

Maybe this will convince "skeptics" that 0500 probably isn't too early to get in line, maybe 0400.
Think about it. It's just an hour or two of sleep you'll miss for the opportunity to get a backpack trip of a lifetime.
Send your partner for donuts and coffee! :D
Sleep when you get home 8)

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Geode

Post by Geode »

Thanks Pete! I have no problem getting there early and my wife can definitely help :) It'll be worth it like you said! Is getting walk-up permits in Waterton any different than the other areas in Glacier? We'll be there before hopefully doing something in Belly River/Goat Haunt.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

teapot57 wrote:Is anyone still waiting to hear back on a permit?
A friend of mine heard back the other day, he'd never been to Glacier and his application was rejected even with some flexible dates and camps. I felt bad for him.

Some of the road races that I run are very popular so they have lottery system for registration. If you get rejected 2 years in a row, you automatically get accepted the third year. I think they should do something like that for permits. That way, even if you are unlucky you'll eventually get a chance to get a good permit.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Geode wrote:Thanks Pete! I have no problem getting there early and my wife can definitely help :) It'll be worth it like you said! Is getting walk-up permits in Waterton any different than the other areas in Glacier?

This is from the Glacier NP website:
Waterton Lakes National Park Visitor Reception Centre
The Waterton Visitor Centre will issue backcountry permits for itineraries entering at Goat Haunt and Chief Mountain customs. The temporary visitor centre is located next to the Waterton Post Office in Waterton Townsite.

That's a good question and I do not know the answer. Someone else here may know, maybe Teapot57
If that Waterton Visitor Centre is hooked up into the same computer network with all the other BC permit offices in the US, AND...
IF it opens at 0700 like the other permit offices, then the answer is likely yes.
You could try for a walk up permit there in Waterton.

I think the main BC Office in Apgar may open on May 1st, or maybe this weekend. I don't know.
There's plenty of time to find out.

We'll be there before hopefully doing something in Belly River/Goat Haunt.

George Carlin
akamina3

Post by akamina3 »

During backpacking season, the visitor center in Waterton opens at 8:00. Although I live close to Waterton, I have been frustrated getting permits there because they put me on the phone to Apgar bc ranger station. (That might have changed).

If you need to get a new permit or make changes, I would suggest 4:00 at Apgar — you meet the most interesting folks waiting in line.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Akamina is correct. Waterton rangers are not tied into the computer system, so they have to make a call to the Glacier Rangers. It’s an ok place to pick up an advanced registration permit, but not a good place to request changes or come up with a whole new itinerary. If you don’t want to drive all the way to Apgar, try to be front of the line at the St Mary ranger station instead.
Geode

Post by Geode »

Well, that makes it a bit harder. Thanks for the info! And it looks like the border crossing doesn't even open until 7am? So I can't drive down from Waterton to St. Mary really early, is that correct?
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Geode wrote:Well, that makes it a bit harder. Thanks for the info! And it looks like the border crossing doesn't even open until 7am? So I can't drive down from Waterton to St. Mary really early, is that correct?
That is correct. Border is closed from 11PM until 7AM.

Any chance you could spend a night in St Mary? At KOA campground or Johnson's CG the night before you need to get a permit?
Both are minutes from the St Mary permit office at the visitors center.
They take reservations and are relatively inexpensive.

If you don’t want to drive all the way to Apgar, try to be front of the line at the St Mary ranger station instead.
Good advice. I've seen lines out the front door at St. Mary

George Carlin
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

teapot57 wrote:Is anyone still waiting to hear back on a permit?
Still no response about our permit.
We only had a 2 week window and it's during a very popular time, last week of July and 1st week of August. We listed the 4 major areas as options (HOL, Belly, Two Med, GUN/SPE) with all the boxes checked regarding accepting alternate campsites, reversal of route or even completely different agenda.
This late in the game, we're not expecting anything, but they've surprised us in the past....in 2016, we heard very late and they gave us our 4th choice which was wonderful GUN/ELL/SNY and we were able to catch 2 nights at Sperry Chalet, in place of SNY. In addition that year, we got a heavenly walk-up: WAT, JAN, HOL, FRA....Thanks to the advice of a great friend :wink: , I was at the St. Mary Visitor Center at 04:30 and got the No. 1 spot in that line. Turned out to be one of our best years for the backcountry, when it looked dismal at the beginning, waiting to hear about a permit.

Suspect we'll need to go to Plan B for this year though, so likely headed back to the Sawtooths.

Good luck to any remaining backpackers out there who find themselves as a Walk-Up Hopeful!
Kris91

Post by Kris91 »

We still haven't heard anything. Wondering if anything is left?! We gave about a 6 week window from early aug to sept 15, multiple routes. I really wanted to backpack this year. I had knee surgery last aug- I've been doing all of my exercises and was looking forward to trying out my repaired knee.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

Got the official thumbs down yesterday.
Just makes the Glacier Backcountry seem even more precious. We have been so lucky to experience it in the past and will no doubt submit better offerings to the Backcountry Gods next year! :D
Wishing permit holders out there wonderful sights, bluebird skies and hopefully some great pics to share!
Geode

Post by Geode »

Thanks for all the advice. I talked to my wife and we moved around our plans so we'll be in the St. Mary area instead of Waterton to try to get permits for Belly River. :D We'll try to get in line around 4-5 am.

We've received our third permit application back now too - didn't get what we wanted (Gunsight Pass), but we got our second option... we'll try to get Gunsight on a walk-up too I guess. We're only waiting on one more permit application, which ironically is our Belly River/Goat Haunt one, but I can already see nothing is available for the dates we requested.

Return to “Backcountry Permits”