2019 Backcountry Permits

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Geode
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2019 Backcountry Permits

Post by Geode »

And just got a response from our last permit application for Belly River/Goat Haunt/HOL, which was a no go for all four itinerary options. So I'm no longer waiting on any applications here.
Kris91
Gender?: Female

Post by Kris91 »

Yea! We got a permit- spet 11- sept 16 (I think giving a big date range saved us).

Iceberg/ptarmigan trailhead
ELH, MOJ, WAT, FRA, BRO, BOW foot.

Some really long days and some really short days, so maybe we'll see if we can tweak it with walk-in-permit. Very happy to get one!

Kris
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Kris91 wrote:Yea! We got a permit- spet 11- sept 16 (I think giving a big date range saved us).

Iceberg/ptarmigan trailhead
ELH, MOJ, WAT, FRA, BRO, BOW foot.

Some really long days and some really short days, so maybe we'll see if we can tweak it with walk-in-permit. Very happy to get one!

Kris
Well done. :D
Maybe try for GLH instead of MOJ
And sub KOO for WAT.

And are you staying at BOW the back country campsite last nite? It's at the head of Bowman Lake.
Or hiking out from BRO all the way to the BOW car campground your last day and staying there.
THAT would be a really long day. 13.8 miles and a long down hill segment from Brown Pass.
Might want to add BOW for last night and break that last day up... unless I read your itinerary wrong. 8)

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Kris91

Post by Kris91 »

Right, last day is really long! It's not the exact itinerary we asked for and thanks for the suggestions on changes. We'll see what we can do with a walk-in permit. Happy to have something and hopefully we can tweak it a bit.
McKee80
Donator
Donator

Post by McKee80 »

Kris91 wrote:Right, last day is really long! It's not the exact itinerary we asked for and thanks for the suggestions on changes. We'll see what we can do with a walk-in permit. Happy to have something and hopefully we can tweak it a bit.
I’d try to replace BRO with HOL and add BOW. We walked out from HOL last September and it wasn’t too bad. A little over 15 miles (mostly downhill or flat) took us about 6.5 hours. And I’m not a triathlete or anything.
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

I finally got my permit a few days ago! Though I had given them a huge window (July 23 - Sept 5), I had just about given up hope...

My goal was to finally explore the beautiful drainage north of Triple Divide Pass, and now it looks like I'll have my chance! :arrow:

REH-REH-ATL-REF-REY-GUN

The route they gave me looks a bit odd on the surface: why stay at REH for two nights and THEN go up over the pass to ATL for one before coming right back the next day? But it is ALMOST what I asked for and upon closer examination I'm thinking they assumed that by giving me an extra night at REH I could change it on walkup to exactly what I asked for, which was:

REH-ATL-ATL-REF-REY-GUN-GUN.

I had figured that two nights at ATL -- which I realize is a kinda blah campground -- would limit the backpacking miles and camp setup/takedown time while still giving me time for some delightfully unencumbered dayhike wanderings in the lovely area between ATL and MOR, and possibly even a chance to try getting up to Katoya.

I'm also hoping that I can extend the trip another couple nights on the far end -- maybe ELL would be available on walkup 7 or 8 nights out? And the nice thing about a route with an out-and-back section like this is that I can potentially save a little weight by cacheing half my food at REF on the way in.

QUESTIONS:
Has anyone been at REF or REH? Can anyone comment on the food storage set up there? Is it a standard cable (more capacity) or a skinny pole (can be crowded) or a bear box? I know the general area was burned, but is there any remaining shade where you hang your food?
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

Our very own McKee80's website can answer some of your campsite questions: http://bcsites.herokuapp.com/bcglacier/list/

Glad you got something. Sounds like an intriguing backpacking trip.
joshillian
Donator
Donator

Post by joshillian »

joybird wrote: QUESTIONS:
Has anyone been at REF or REH? Can anyone comment on the food storage set up there? Is it a standard cable (more capacity) or a skinny pole (can be crowded) or a bear box? I know the general area was burned, but is there any remaining shade where you hang your food?
My son and I did St Mary's to Two Medicine last year and stayed the first night at REF. From what I recall, Red Eagle Foot (REF), Atlantic Creek (ATL), and Morning Star Lake (MOR) all had bear poles for hanging food bags. And with the limited number of 4 camp sites at each, I really don't recall the food storage area being crowded. I don't recall clearly the setup for REH when we hiked through that area. I'd imagine it's a pole setup as well since all of the others in that area seemed to be.

We were shocked at the extent of the burn south of St Mary's to just north of Triple Divide. A different hiking experience. Made for hot hiking in July. Lots of tall vegetation around the trail from REH to Triple Divide.

Had several good animal encounters: A ginormous bull moose walked through the REF campground just after sunrise one of the mornings there; and just north of REF my son almost ran into a black bear in the middle of the trail. My impression at the time (based on the state of the trail from REH to Triple Divide) was that due to the fire damage and the distance involved, there is not a ton of hikers heading from St Mary over Triple Divide.

Very jealous of your REY-GUN reservations. That's on my bucketlist, without a doubt.
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

joshillian wrote: My son and I did St Mary's to Two Medicine last year and stayed the first night at REF. From what I recall, Red Eagle Foot (REF), Atlantic Creek (ATL), and Morning Star Lake (MOR) all had bear poles for hanging food bags.... I'd imagine it's a pole setup as well since all of the others in that area seemed to be.
Thanks for your response. Although as I read it (and in checking out McKee80's very cool site -- thanks, Tibber!) I realize that maybe our terminology isn't quite consistent. Maybe I could have been clearer by saying a "bear bar" instead of "cable"?

I was trying to distinguish between the capacious, horizontal bars that are at most of the BC campgrounds (like MOR or ELH), vs the vertical mono-poles with 3-4 hooks mounted in a kinda crowded way on top (like at HEL) vs the metal boxes (like at ELF or STO).

Knowing I could leave food at REF without impinging on someone else's ability to hang theirs is reassuring. Next step will be to come up with a light-colored (or reflective!) foodsack so my cache won't totally bake while left hanging in the sun for days. :roll: :lol:
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

The food hangs at REF and REH are not the old style skinny poles. They both have 2 uprights with a 6 or 8 foot crossbar. There wasn't any problem with crowding. At REF there is no shade anywhere in the camping/food prep area. The nearest green trees are down at the lakeshore. REH is a bit less burned but I don't recall much shade in the food prep area.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Regarding storing food cache...
Use reflective mylar from an emergency blanket.
Wrap your food sack in it such that it will breathe and not collect water if rained on.
Then put that bundle in a light weight mesh bag(keeps mylar from tearing) and hang it.
Mesh bag should be made of very open mesh like 1" fish net which weighs next to nothing.
Might work? 8)

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

I had actually been playing with the idea using mylar, but I hadn't thought about making sure that it won't trap water. Good point. Maybe I'll make a bottomless mylar bell-like thing over my dry sack. Allowing for a bit of air between it and the stuff sack will also help with keeping the stuff sack from getting so hot. I like your idea of the fishing net to hold it all together...not being a fisherman, I'd never have thought of that. Thanks!
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Post by NDjason »

I called the backcountry office today and someone answered the phone! I also had a ranger call me directly as I had left a message last week. I'm guessing that must mean they must be getting close to finishing all of the lottery applications. Anyways, they said there were over 3300 applications this year - a 25% increase over 2018. I would have guessed it was even larger.

I had called because I received a permit last week after already hearing back on all of my applications. Since the others had been accepted, I received one more permit than application I had submitted. I was worried they had issued me someone else's permit accidentally, but the rangers believed they had accidentally processed one of my applications twice. They were very helpful and I was able to get the extra permit cancelled for someone else to use.
~ jason
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

they said there were over 3300 applications this year - a 25% increase over 2018. I would have guessed it was even larger.
I was curious about this and would have guessed a larger number, too. Thanks for asking!
I had called because I received a permit last week after already hearing back on all of my applications. Since the others had been accepted, I received one more permit than application I had submitted. I was worried they had issued me someone else's permit accidentally, but the rangers believed they had accidentally processed one of my applications twice. They were very helpful and I was able to get the extra permit cancelled for someone else to use.
I wonder how this could happen. I could see it happening in the days we submitted mailed/faxed applications, because someone could accidentally put the physical paper in the wrong pile. But when it's electronic?

This is as good a time as any to remind people to be like JasonND and phone in to release a permit if you won't be using it, so that someone else can reserve the sites.
bkfilms
Donator
Donator

Post by bkfilms »

Hey there, has anyone heard any info about their 2019 advance permit application? Usually, I hear by the end of April and have not heard anything yet?? I submitted the application on time on the 15th and they have received. I know its still early May, just trying to plan my summer.

Let me know if anyone has heard anything.

Thanks

Disregard just called them, I have a permit, they sent it out March 22nd but went to spam, Hiking the Northern Traverse Trail, West to East, so excited!
Last edited by bkfilms on Mon May 06, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Backcountry Permits”