2021 Backcountry Permit Applications: Date for submittal now March 17

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

wnysteve
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2021 Backcountry Permit Applications: Date for submittal now March 17

Post by wnysteve »

sbosecker wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:02 am

On another related topic...
Does anyone here know if a Backcountry Office would issue a permit like the following:

Sept 1 - Cracker Lake
Sept 2 - Cracker Lake
Sept 3 - Poia Lake
Sept 4 - Poia Lake

So... spend a couple of nights at Cracker Lake; hike out on Sept 3 and drive down the road to the Poia Lake Trailhead and spend a couple of nights at Poia Lake.

Anyone ever done anything like that or know if such a thing is allowed?

Best regards,

Scott
My understanding is that a backcountry trip that involves traversing a roadway must become two iterneraries. (The notable exception to this rule is a crossing from the Reynolds campsite trail to the Piegan Pass Trail.)
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Sorry to hear that Scott. What itinerary/dates were you shooting for? You may be able to be strategic with what is left and bank of walk-in permit modifications to the back end of the itinerary to get what you want.

They are up to almost 6500 site nights processed, so almost 2 nights per permit application average - they have to be getting close.
McKee80
Donator
Donator

Post by McKee80 »

wilcon wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:10 pm
ENTER - BOWMAN LAKE FOOT (AKAK,BOW,QU) (TRAILHEAD)
BOW - BOWMAN LK, HD Length 7.10, Elevation; Up 533 | Down 528
FRA - FRANCIS Length 8.80, Elevation; Up 2220 | Down 995
HOL - HOLE IN WALL Length 4.40, Elevation; Up 1385 | Down 260
BRO - BROWN PASS Length 2.10, Elevation; Up 711 | Down 1109
BOW - BOWMAN LK, HD Length 6.50, Elevation; Up 0 | Down 2220
EXIT - BOWMAN LAKE FOOT (AKAK,BOW,QU) (TRAILHEAD) Length 7.10, Elevation; Up 528 | Down 533
Congrats! That's an awesome trip. I was in that area a couple years ago.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Well Lord love a duck!😁👍👍
It looks like I'll be able to get up to Triple Divide Pass and Triple Divide Peak for photos after all :arrow: 😎 :arrow:
So hang in there if you haven't heard anything about your application yet.
They're still processing them.

pete :wink:

Dear Backcountry Permit Applicant:

We have received and successfully processed your Glacier National Park Advance Reservation Backcountry Permit Application. Based on the parameters noted on your application and availability of campsites when we processed your application, we were able to secure you the trip itinerary at the end of this email.

Please read ALL of the instructions, cautions, and policies by clicking the following link; Failure to read and comply with the terms set forth in this letter may result in cancellation of your permit itinerary.

https://nps.gov/applications/glac/bcper ... letter.pdf

Your itinerary is as follows;

PERMIT# XXXXXX
CAMPERS; 1
SITES; 1
TRIP LEADER; Eastman, Peter

ENTER - CUT BANK CREEK (TRAILHEAD)

7-9-2021 - ATL - ATLANTIC CREEK
Fires; NO
Segment; Length 4.30
Elevation; Up 556 | Down 254

7-10-2021 - ATL - ATLANTIC CREEK
Fires; NO
Segment; Length 0.00
Elevation; Up 0 | Down 0

7-11-2021 - ATL - ATLANTIC CREEK
Fires; NO
Segment; Length 0.00
Elevation; Up 0 | Down 0

EXIT - CUT BANK CREEK (TRAILHEAD)
Segment; Length 4.30
Elevation; Up 254 | Down 556

TOTALS;
Trip length 8.60 miles
Elevation up 810 feet
Elevation down 810 feet
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
McKee80
Donator
Donator

Post by McKee80 »

Congrats Pete! I'll be in that same spot a week after you.
Last edited by McKee80 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Z
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Sue Z »

Fabulous news, Pete! Are you planning to climb Triple Divide Mtn. for pix? I'm resigned to living vicariously on that one.
Sue Z
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Post by NDjason »

Pete - awesome news! That will be a great trip! I've never been in that area that early, when do the passes in that area typically open up? Should be a great time to photo some bear grass, rushing water, and maybe some snowy peaks!
~ jason
sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by sbosecker »

zozeppelin wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:45 pm Sorry to hear that Scott. What itinerary/dates were you shooting for? You may be able to be strategic with what is left and bank of walk-in permit modifications to the back end of the itinerary to get what you want.

They are up to almost 6500 site nights processed, so almost 2 nights per permit application average - they have to be getting close.
zoezeppelin,

I agree with your thoughts!

I had 4 itineraries from mid August to the 9th of September... but I didn't allow for any campsite changes to my request.

2 of the 4 started at Chief Mountain. One went to MOL and back out (4 nights); one went to HEL and back (4 night. Although I've been through most of those trails a few times, I've not camped at either MOL or HEL before.
1 was a 4-night from East to West over Gunsight Pass. Been there - done that ...but who wouldn't do it again. HA!
The last was a 3-night loop Flattop, 50-Mountain, Granite Park. I went north with my son from Logan Pass to Waterton in 2006 but I've not been to Flattop before.

My second effort is Chief Mountain to MOL 3-night in early September. There's a MOL still available on Sept 2nd so that's the anchor of the second attempt. If that was awarded I'd probably try to modify it to a 4-day with shorter legs between Chief Mountain and MOL but we'll see what happens!

Best regards,

Scott
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

McKee80 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:55 am Congrats Pete! I'll be in that same spot a week after you.
Thanks Sean. ATL is a decent campground. No scenery but it does have a creek that runs through it for water.
Bummer is that you can't have fires there now. But it'll serve both our purposes. 🤞for good weather!

Sue Z wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:06 am Fabulous news, Pete! Are you planning to climb Triple Divide Mtn. for pix? I'm resigned to living vicariously on that one.
That's the "plan". Hike up to the divide, take pictures, then at least check out the beginning of the mountaineering route.
I've checked the route out in Blake Passmore's book. It doesn't look hard, but will be a long day.
If I get an early enough start, I may be able to do the Triple Divide summit. If I can't do it then, maybe try again the next day.
That's why I wanted 3 nights giving me 2 days for more options. I may also walk down to Medicine Grizzly Lake to look around for compositions.
If Triple Divide Peak looks too difficult, I can try Mt James which is a "walk up" with no exposure.
I shall take pics and video for you!
:)
NDjason wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:24 am Pete - awesome news! That will be a great trip! I've never been in that area that early, when do the passes in that area typically open up? Should be a great time to photo some bear grass, rushing water, and maybe some snowy peaks!
Hey Jason!
Yeah, it is good news. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to get "skunked". :)
I gave them a window from July3 to August 21. I have no idea if remaining snow will be an issue for the doing Triple Divide summit of Mt James.
I think both get enough sun for the routes to melt out by my dates. I'll just have to wait and see. And yes, it would be nice if the bear grass and other flowers were blooming. The challenge will be to work on my fitness.🤞 This scrambling around in the mountains gets tougher every year 8).
But I still love trying!
😁👍👍

cheers to all

My friend closed on this 22acre property up near Eureka yesterday. :arrow:
I have permission to go and camp and do whatever I want up there.
There is a storage shed that I can sleep and cook in. Very handy if the weather goes bad.
It's clean and has a workbench I can cook on if I don't want to make a fire.
I have a new cot coming next week.

It's big enough for me. 👍👍😃😃
Most camping cots are like 76"x24" and too small to be comfortable.

George Carlin
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

sbosecker wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:47 am
zozeppelin wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:45 pm Sorry to hear that Scott. What itinerary/dates were you shooting for? You may be able to be strategic with what is left and bank of walk-in permit modifications to the back end of the itinerary to get what you want.

zoezeppelin,

I agree with your thoughts!

I had 4 itineraries from mid August to the 9th of September... but I didn't allow for any campsite changes to my request.

2 of the 4 started at Chief Mountain. One went to MOL and back out (4 nights); one went to HEL and back (4 night. Although I've been through most of those trails a few times, I've not camped at either MOL or HEL before.
1 was a 4-night from East to West over Gunsight Pass. Been there - done that ...but who wouldn't do it again. HA!
The last was a 3-night loop Flattop, 50-Mountain, Granite Park. I went north with my son from Logan Pass to Waterton in 2006 but I've not been to Flattop before.

My second effort is Chief Mountain to MOL 3-night in early September. There's a MOL still available on Sept 2nd so that's the anchor of the second attempt. If that was awarded I'd probably try to modify it to a 4-day with shorter legs between Chief Mountain and MOL but we'll see what happens!

Best regards,

Scott
First, those are great sites. I've never been to HEL, but the pictures shared earlier were great.

Wow, it's worse than I would have thought. HEL all taken, the one MOL that you mention and even GAB and MOJ are blown out?! THe best (and only) I saw, which I'm sure you're on already, is GLH-MOL . That is a bit of a trek out, but within the limits. I'd think you'd be able to add to the end of that upon arrival (between GLH/GLF/COS, but hopefully MOL) and probably similar on the entry.

The closest I would guess for HEL would be picking up POI and going through redgap pass, assuming you can add enough ELF/ELH buffer on walkin to pickup HEL. I really didn't think it would be that popular. But that gets you back to many glacier road and those issues you were trying to avoid.

With FIF blown out, you're pinched on the FLA/GRN loop. I would have done FLA-FIF-FLA and swapped out FLA for GRN on arrival. You could add KOO to play a similar game FLA-KOO-FLA to try and pickup FIF + GRN, but even that isn't available as a link.

Gunsight is stuck until mid Sept (no GUN or ELL). Earliest I see is ELL is Sept 11, which could be linked to REY+REF/REH and SNY. Sure you could just cut out after ELL (a slightly longer day), but if you did REF/REH+REY+ELL+SNY ... you could modify on arrival for REF/REH+REY+ELL+SPE or GUN+SPE, etc ... then eventually just drop the first segment(s) if you don't want them.

Best of luck to you - you picked some really good sites, maybe too good :)

7400 sites processed, they seem to be running out of steam.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

PeteE wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:52 pm Well Lord love a duck!😁👍👍
It looks like I'll be able to get up to Triple Divide Pass and Triple Divide Peak for photos after all :arrow: 😎 :arrow:
So hang in there if you haven't heard anything about your application yet.
They're still processing them.

Dear Backcountry Permit Applicant:

We have received and successfully processed your Glacier National Park Advance Reservation Backcountry Permit Application. Based on the parameters noted on your application and availability of campsites when we processed your application, we were able to secure you the trip itinerary at the end of this email.

Please read ALL of the instructions, cautions, and policies by clicking the following link; Failure to read and comply with the terms set forth in this letter may result in cancellation of your permit itinerary.

https://nps.gov/applications/glac/bcper ... letter.pdf

Your itinerary is as follows;

PERMIT# XXXXXX
CAMPERS; 1
SITES; 1

Fires; NO
Segment; Length 4.30

Fires; NO
Segment; Length 0.00
Elevation; Up 0 | Down 0

Fires; NO
Segment; Length 0.00
Elevation; Up 0 | Down 0

Segment; Length 4.30

TOTALS;
Trip length 8.60 miles
Elevation up 810 feet
Elevation down 810 feet
Congrats Pete! Can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories/routes.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

PeteE wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:52 pm
PERMIT# XXXXXX
CAMPERS; 1
SITES; 1

Fires; NO
Segment; Length 4.30

Fires; NO
Segment; Length 0.00
Elevation; Up 0 | Down 0

Fires; NO
Segment; Length 0.00
Elevation; Up 0 | Down 0

Segment; Length 4.30

TOTALS;
Trip length 8.60 miles
Elevation up 810 feet
Elevation down 810 feet
Glad you got a permit, Pete. Maybe you can try and climb Mount James on day 2, it's definitely doable from Atlantic Creek.

Looks like I'm not going to get a permit this year. My 4th choice probably still has an outside chance but I'm not really too excited about it. It's a trip from Two Medicine to Red Eagle lake and back. It really boggles the mind how much the park has changed in the last couple of decades. I pretty much had my choice of camps and itineraries in the early 2000s. I remember walking into the Apgar backcountry office at 10am and walking out with an itinerary starting that day that included UPK, BOU and HOL.

Paul
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

paul wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:40 am

Glad you got a permit, Pete. Maybe you can try and climb Mount James on day 2, it's definitely doable from Atlantic Creek.

Looks like I'm not going to get a permit this year. My 4th choice probably still has an outside chance but I'm not really too excited about it. It's a trip from Two Medicine to Red Eagle lake and back. It really boggles the mind how much the park has changed in the last couple of decades. I pretty much had my choice of camps and itineraries in the early 2000s. I remember walking into the Apgar backcountry office at 10am and walking out with an itinerary starting that day that included UPK, BOU and HOL.

Paul
Hey Paul, bummer you haven't gotten anything yet. Even in the time I've lived here I've seen the same thing about getting a permit.
Twice I've gotten a permit to do a version the Bow--HOL--KIN with ease, or so it seemed at the time.
Had to bail both times. Once due to phlebitis in my right leg, the other cancelled due to really bad weather.
Yeah, and "walking in" is definitely not like it used to be.
You should go do something in the Wind River Range(like you did recently?) and tell us about it.
One day I'll get there!

As for Mt James. After reviewing the route to both Triple Divide Peak and Mt James....
It's looking more and more like I'll try St James first, and do something else on day 2.

The pictures in this link were taken in July 2008, almost identical dates I'll be there.
NO way would I be able to try Triple Divide back then, or this year if snow conditions are anything near what they were in 2008.
Scroll through until you see the image that shows the long traverse under the saddle between Triple Divide and Razoredge Mt.
ALL snow covered and very steep to boot. So...it'll almost certainly be St James---all Class II on "consolidated scree" after the pass.
Even if the scree is snow covered it should be firm snow and relatively easy to walk on with Microspikes.
Some remaining snow would be ok for a water source. Late in the year there is no, very little water on that trail.

Still be a long day at 9-10 miles round trip and +-4500feet. :shock:
https://www.summitpost.org/mount-james/images/p-420105

Good luck wherever you end up Paul!

George Carlin
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Hey Pete,

I will probably head to the Wind River range again. It's been three years since I've been to Glacier which is a long time for me.

I had planned to climb Mt James a few years ago but didn't have the time. That would have been from the Cut Bank trailhead so it would be a long day. From Atlantic Creek it should be pretty doable. Let me know how it goes and if you get a chance post some pictures. Good luck with it.

Paul
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Pete,

I think there's some posts on the route up Mount James and pictures on the chat page. I briefly looked for it.

Paul

Return to “Backcountry Permits”