Bowman Lake Parking

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

limedes
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Bowman Lake Parking

Post by limedes »

We have a permit entering at Bowman Lake here in a couple of weeks. If we get our permit in the morning in Polebridge (right around 8 a.m.), will we have any issues finding parking at Bowman Lake? Do they have a designated backcountry parking area at Bowman? Thanks :)
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Re: Bowman Lake Parking

Post by PeteE »

We'll see what others here say about my suggestion...
I would think about picking up your permit the afternoon of the day before your trip begins.(No later than 4:30PM)
You should be able to do that at either the Polebridge Station or the Apgar BC Office.
Verify the pickup hours at the Polebridge Ranger Station.

I suggest that early permit pickup because backpackers share the same parking lot as day hikers.(There's signage for that lot)
However, you want to be through the Polebridge Ranger Station gate long before the 8AM office opening...imo.
You want to beat the day hikers to the parking area. Having permit in hand you can drive to Bowman Lake as early as you like.
And going early(anywhere) is a good idea given the crowds in recent years. It just ensures fewer hassles.
Nicer hiking early too 8)

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
limedes
Gender?: Female

Re: Bowman Lake Parking

Post by limedes »

Thanks very much for the insight Pete! I was afraid parking might be a hassle and was thinking it might be better to pick it up the day before (I have to work all day, so I guess I can give this as a reason why I need to leave early :lol: ). It's been a while since I've been to Bowman Lake... couldn't recall if they had special parking spot for just backpackers. Thank you :)

Return to “Backcountry Permits”