BackCountry Permits 2022

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: BackCountry Permits 2022

Post by sbosecker »

sbosecker wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:14 pm
zozeppelin wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:54 pm Looks like you carry a big stick Scott- availability ‘back’.

Now can you get them to fix Many Glacier missing from the trail status page?
zozeppelin,

Hmmpft... They did it to mock me... HA!
The itinerary I requested beginning on Sep 15th, GAB-GLH-GLH-GAB now has a hole on the 16th that can't be filled (GLH not available).

However, there's still hope! I kept my original Aug 8th to Sep 22nd "window" and also allowed campsite changes along the route.

GLH has two nights back to back on Sep 19 & 20. GAB has an opening on the 18th but not the 21st...
but COS - for the moment - has an opening on the 21st.

That would work and I think it meets the criteria of my request.

I'll take on the Trail Status Page if I get an itinerary. HA!

Best regards,

Scott

zozeppelin,

Well it looks like you're on your own for a fixing the Trail Status Page.

I haven't heard back from Glacier but Cosley Lake in no longer on the Availabiltiy Page for September 21st. With the other parts of my request still available, I have to take this as another swing and a miss for an Advance Reservation.

Backpacking is hard.

HA!

Scott
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

Looks like I missed getting the requested itineary by about 8 hours.

Received the "unable to confirm any of your itinerary choices." today at about 4:30 pm Eastern Time.

I'm trying one last reservation request... we'll see how that goes.

Scott
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by zozeppelin »

Thanks for the updates Scott- sorry they’re not good ones. So it looks like they’re turning them in < 2 weeks now with your datapoint.

Take a look at the Gunsight pass itinerary I posted earlier. I’m keeping an eye on things and will let you know if anything else pops up (you’re mostly interested in belly river ?)
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

zozeppelin wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:28 pm Thanks for the updates Scott- sorry they’re not good ones. So it looks like they’re turning them in < 2 weeks now with your datapoint.

Take a look at the Gunsight pass itinerary I posted earlier. I’m keeping an eye on things and will let you know if anything else pops up (you’re mostly interested in belly river ?)
zozeppelin,

At this point in the game there are several moving parts.

1. Logistics. If this was a few days after the March 15th entry date, then it would be early enough to secure lodging and transportation for almost any date. Now it's early June and the late season offers a better chance at getting places to stay and a car.

2. If, because of 1, we find ourselves into September backpacking then the higher elevation trips could become unobtainable due to snow. I think the latest I've been hiking in Glacer was Sept 11th... anyway, the Belly River itinerary is lower elevation and that (hopefully) means we wouldn't get snowed out of our trip.

3. My backpacking buddy hasn't been in the Belly River area. We've done a lot of the rest of the park... So, yeah; the Belly River is on the short list. I was hoping that Goat Haunt would be open this year allowing a Chief Mountain to Goat Haunt itinerary. If I can get the back-to-back Glenns Lake Head campsites on Sept 19 & 20, we'd (weather/conditions permitting) dayhike up to Stoney Indian Pass and back. That's such an epic part of the park I'd really like my buddy to see it.

So #1 is the Belly River/Stoney Indian Pass area.

...and one certainly can't go wrong with GUN, GUN, ELL, SPE through hike with a trip up to Comeau Pass. ...although early snows could goof that up. Same with getting to 50-Mountain somehow. That's an area my buddy hasn't been to either.

I suspect that the turnaround on the reservation request I sent in this evening will beat the 2-week value - maybe cut it in half - but we'll see.

Best regards,

Scott
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Looks like the trail status page has been updated to include the Many Glacier link - thanks Scott!

Last request: walk-in availability page.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

paul wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:43 am
I think there's still some pretty good options open for advanced reservations. From a previous post I see that Ellen Wilson lake was open on 08-13-22. (it might be gone now, didn't check). That's a short but sweet place to go backpacking. Fantastic scenery most of the way. There's other places in the park that have advanced reservations available. Like Logging lake, grace lake, Adair. I've never been there but that's an option.

Walk-ins might be tough to come by on routes like the Northern circle or up in the North Fork. But it's probably not too bad other places. I think there would be availability for Red Eagle lake, Atlantic Creek. I also think there's going to be cancellations and no shows too. So there is hope for getting something.
Thanks Paul. As I start looking at retirement, one thing I had in my head was bellying up to the bar for some backpacks. I don't mind hiking alone in Glacier since there is usually company at the campsites. Hiking solo with undesignated sites in say Wyoming gets lonely for me and a bear canister is such a PITA. I've been curious about the Nyack, but that again seems pretty isolated.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

zozeppelin wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:20 am Looks like the trail status page has been updated to include the Many Glacier link - thanks Scott!

Last request: walk-in availability page.
zozeppelin,

HA!

Best regards,

Scott
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

9/12 GAB from Chief Mountain
9/13 HEL (from GAB or MAN)
9/14 GLH/MOJ
9/15 MOJ (walk-in change 9/14-15 to the same MOL/GLH if possible, could go day trip to Mokawanis + Margaret or Stoney Indian Pass)
9/16 ELF
9/17 Out or POI

or

9/16 ELF (from MAN)
9/17 MOJ
9/18 GLF | KOO
9/19 GLH (fix 9/17-9/20 at walkin, do day trips to Stoney and Margaret) | KOO (day trip up to fifty)
9/20 GLH
9/21 POI
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

zozeppelin wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:40 pm 9/12 GAB from Chief Mountain
9/13 HEL (from GAB or MAN)
9/14 GLH/MOJ
9/15 MOJ (walk-in change 9/14-15 to the same MOL/GLH if possible, could go day trip to Mokawanis + Margaret or Stoney Indian Pass)
9/16 ELF
9/17 Out or POI

or

9/16 ELF (from MAN)
9/17 MOJ
9/18 GLF | KOO
9/19 GLH (fix 9/17-9/20 at walkin, do day trips to Stoney and Margaret) | KOO (day trip up to fifty)
9/20 GLH
9/21 POI
zozeppelin,

Nice...

Just heard back from the backcountry office for the itineray I submitted last night.

I've been awarded:
Chief Mountain
9/18 GAB
9/19 GLH
9/20 GLH
Chief Mountain

When we pick up the premit we'll try to get GAB or COS on 9/21

Best regards,

Scott
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Fantastic on all fronts! 1 day turn is unprecedented, on a Saturday nonetheless. Now you can start with logistics.
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

zozeppelin wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:47 pm Fantastic on all fronts! 1 day turn is unprecedented, on a Saturday nonetheless. Now you can start with logistics.
zozeppelin,

Yes, I was a bit surprised that I heard something yesterday as well. Still, It makes sense that the backcountry office is manned and, I would think, somewhat quiet yet at this time of the year so they probably had folks available and time on their hands to work the problem. That and I suspect the list of applications sent in the last couple of weeks was pretty short. HA!

Thanks for the suggested itineraries...
My buddy and I are couple of geezers (i'll be 67 this trip and my buddy will be 66). A 3 or 4 night itinerary is about all we need to get our backcountry fix - particularly at this late of a starting date. We will probably plan for some extra, warmer (heavier) clothes. Plus I don't think we could carry enough food for my my sidekick if we went more than 4 nights (HA!)

Best regards,

Scott
Sue Z
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Sue Z »

sbosecker wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:34 pm
I've been awarded:
Chief Mountain
9/18 GAB
9/19 GLH
9/20 GLH
Chief Mountain

Best regards,

Scott
Excellent!
Sue Z
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

Sue Z wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:53 pm
I've been awarded:
Chief Mountain
9/18 GAB
9/19 GLH
9/20 GLH
Chief Mountain

Best regards,

Scott
Excellent!

Sue Z,

Thanks...

I think we've just about got all the logistical puzzle pieces in place. I still need to pull the trigger on airline tickets and will probably do that tomorrow.

Lodging and vehicles mostly taken care of. We still haven't locked in our exact plan for lodging and are seriously considering staying at Brownies on the night before we begin our backpack. Looks like about an hour and 15 minute drive from Brownies to Chief Mountain Customs in a perfect world. I've visited Brownies several times but never lodged there. Maybe we need to check that box.

It's either that or a rather pricey stay at St Mary Lodge in the Great Bear section of the lodge. That would be a pretty civilized way to start the expedtion and it's only 35 minutes to the trailhead. I've stayed at St Mary quite a few times so leaning towards Brownies just for something completely different. HA!

Scott
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

sbosecker wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:36 pm
Sue Z wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:53 pm
I've been awarded:
Chief Mountain
9/18 GAB
9/19 GLH
9/20 GLH
Chief Mountain

Best regards,

Scott
Excellent!

Sue Z,

Thanks...

I think we've just about got all the logistical puzzle pieces in place. I still need to pull the trigger on airline tickets and will probably do that tomorrow.

Lodging and vehicles mostly taken care of. We still haven't locked in our exact plan for lodging and are seriously considering staying at Brownies on the night before we begin our backpack. Looks like about an hour and 15 minute drive from Brownies to Chief Mountain Customs in a perfect world. I've visited Brownies several times but never lodged there. Maybe we need to check that box.

It's either that or a rather pricey stay at St Mary Lodge in the Great Bear section of the lodge. That would be a pretty civilized way to start the expedtion and it's only 35 minutes to the trailhead. I've stayed at St Mary quite a few times so leaning towards Brownies just for something completely different. HA!

Scott
Sue,

You might want to try going to GAB via the Lee Ridge. It will add a couple of miles to the hike and be more elevation change but I the scenery is great.

-Paul
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

paul wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:01 pm You might want to try going to GAB via the Lee Ridge. It will add a couple of miles to the hike and be more elevation change but I the scenery is great.

-Paul
Paul,

Seriously consideing this as I haven't done the Lee Ridge Trail.

Best regards,

Scott

Return to “Backcountry Permits”