BackCountry Permits 2022

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: BackCountry Permits 2022

Post by paul »

zozeppelin wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:10 pm From the website:
Almost 4,000 advance reservations were submitted on March 15, 2022. Due to limited early season staffing, the wilderness permit office will not begin processing advance reservations until April 17, 2022. It will take several months to complete reservation processing. You will be notified about the status of your application as soon as it is complete. Please be patient and allow permit rangers to process applications without unnecessary interuptions(sic)
Several months?! Looks like walk-in availability is going to be a breeze. Clearly that can’t be correct, but what a joke of an organization and PR.

Can they at least ask for volunteers to help process the applications?
So, if it takes several months to process permits from a starting point of mid April, then many people won't hear back from the permit office until July. This is completely unacceptable. Do they realize that people have to make travel plans and adjust work schedules?
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Post by cdsmith379 »

Yeah I think this is also going to cause a lot of abandoned or not used permits. If people don't hear back in a reasonable time they may make other plans, or flights and car rentals will not be available. So they will just not use or cancel their permits. May be a good year to do walkup after all.
sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by sbosecker »

Glacier National Park put out a News Release on April 15th with information on "Stuff Opening" dates.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/news/media-22-4.htm

Nothing really new regarding advance "Wilderness" campsite applications.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlacierNationa ... tshiking/

If anyone is thinking of picking up the Boat at Two Medicine to cut some milage off the return to civilization after a backpack, the above post on Reddit might be of interest. I have been unable to locate this information on the Glacier Park Boat Company website.

Scott
HoustonHiker

Post by HoustonHiker »

They are processing applications. I just got my first choice permit reservation.

ELL
REY
MAN
HEL
MOL
KOO
HOL
UPK
FRA
KOO
FIF
GRN

Andrew
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

HoustonHiker wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:34 pm They are processing applications. I just got my first choice permit reservation.

ELL
REY
MAN
HEL
MOL
KOO
HOL
UPK
FRA
KOO
FIF
GRN

Andrew
Andrew,

That's a heck of a trip! I start to run out of room for food on a 5-night backpack.

I had seen on the Reddit Glacier NP thread that someone had gotten their trip yesterday ...so they do seem to be at work on the pile of requests.

Best regards,

Scott
HoustonHiker

Post by HoustonHiker »

sbosecker wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:59 pm
HoustonHiker wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:34 pm They are processing applications. I just got my first choice permit reservation.

ELL
REY
MAN
HEL
MOL
KOO
HOL
UPK
FRA
KOO
FIF
GRN

Andrew
Andrew,

That's a heck of a trip! I start to run out of room for food on a 5-night backpack.

I had seen on the Reddit Glacier NP thread that someone had gotten their trip yesterday ...so they do seem to be at work on the pile of requests.

Best regards,

Scott
Scott,

I do plan to resupply at Many Glacier. But 9 days is a lot of food to carry from there. It will help not having to use a bear canister.

Good luck to everyone waiting on a permit application.

Andrew
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Awesome trip Andrew, congrats!
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Post by cdsmith379 »

ELL
REY
MAN
HEL
MOL
KOO
HOL
UPK
FRA
KOO
FIF
GRN

Andrew
That's a great trip HoustonHiker. I put in for something similar as my first choice, a North Circle with ELL and SPE at the end.
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

HoustonHiker wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:58 pm Scott,

I do plan to resupply at Many Glacier. But 9 days is a lot of food to carry from there. It will help not having to use a bear canister.

Andrew
Andrew,

Please forgive me for asking the following. I'm not trying to insult you or anything. HA!

Just to be clear... Do you think there is a regulation that you HAVE to use a Bear Canister ...or do you just prefer to use one?

...or have I, once again, missed a change in the backcountry rules that requires me to use a Bear Canister in Backcountry Campsites vs. Undesignated Backcountry Campsites which have historically required Bear Canisters.

Best regards,

Scott
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

ELL
REY
MAN
HEL
MOL
KOO
HOL
UPK
FRA
KOO
FIF
GRN

Andrew
Nice trip!
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
HoustonHiker

Post by HoustonHiker »

sbosecker wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:58 am
HoustonHiker wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:58 pm Scott,

Andrew
Andrew,

Please forgive me for asking the following. I'm not trying to insult you or anything. HA!

Just to be clear... Do you think there is a regulation that you HAVE to use a Bear Canister ...or do you just prefer to use one?

...or have I, once again, missed a change in the backcountry rules that requires me to use a Bear Canister in Backcountry Campsites vs. Undesignated Backcountry Campsites which have historically required Bear Canisters.

Best regards,

Scott
Hey Scott. My comment above was that I am glad to NOT need a bear canister. I'm definitely not bringing one

Andrew
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

HoustonHiker wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:09 pm
Hey Scott. My comment above was that I am glad to NOT need a bear canister. I'm definitely not bringing one

Andrew
Andrew,

I guess next time I will read these forums with my reading glasses on. I don't know how I misread that but there you go.

I must say I was REALLY wondering how you would get that much food in a bear canister. HA!

That's quite an adventure! I've done a couple of 6-day trips but that's as long as I've spent in the Glacier backcountry... and that was probably 15 years ago.

Best regards,

Scott
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

I’m still in awe of that itinerary. 12 nights is one challenge, but some of those segments are no cupcakes. Great site selection and route.

After some misses the last couple years, I’m pulling for you Paul!
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Post by cdsmith379 »

zozeppelin wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:02 pm I’m still in awe of that itinerary. 12 nights is one challenge, but some of those segments are no cupcakes. Great site selection and route.

After some misses the last couple years, I’m pulling for you Paul!
It really is an epic trip. It's like the best of Glacier. Permits are so hard to get now I understand the idea of "going big" and trying to get the best you can.
HoustonHiker

Post by HoustonHiker »

This is my first successful advance reservation permit application since the park went to a lottery selection. I was shocked to get this trip - first choice on dates and all 12 sites (149.3 miles and 25,480 feet of elevation gain according to confirmation email). I do see this as a once in a lifetime trip.

Return to “Backcountry Permits”