BackCountry Permits 2022

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: BackCountry Permits 2022

Post by paul »

zozeppelin wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:02 pm I’m still in awe of that itinerary. 12 nights is one challenge, but some of those segments are no cupcakes. Great site selection and route.

After some misses the last couple years, I’m pulling for you Paul!
Thanks, we'll see what happens. I haven't been very lucky since the park started doing this lottery thing. I figure if I don't hear anything by mid-may I should start planning something else.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
solohiker5555

Post by solohiker5555 »

I just got my permit (UPT, NON, OLD) starting 9/5. This was my second choice itinerary, as I had wanted to start in COB. Not complaining! Hopefully will be able to do the Dawson-Pit segment this year - tried last year and we bailed from NON due to heavy wind and rain. Good luck everyone.
HoustonHiker

Post by HoustonHiker »

solohiker5555 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:59 am I just got my permit (UPT, NON, OLD) starting 9/5. This was my second choice itinerary, as I had wanted to start in COB. Not complaining! Hopefully will be able to do the Dawson-Pit segment this year - tried last year and we bailed from NON due to heavy wind and rain. Good luck everyone.
Congrats! I'm glad to see someone else here find some luck with permits
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Post by cdsmith379 »

I just got my rejection so I am out Looks like it will be the Sierras this year. I gave them a huge 6 week window too.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

cdsmith379 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:54 am I just got my rejection so I am out Looks like it will be the Sierras this year. I gave them a huge 6 week window too.
Sorry, you didn't get anything. I'm kind of curious, did you give them flexibility to choose other campsites along your route? I wonder if the backcountry permit people are really trying to find solutions before rejecting a permit. Considering they only started processing permits a couple of weeks ago, it's pretty early in the permit process to get a rejection for a permit that has a six week window. Which makes me think the people processing the permits aren't taking the time to properly look for options. It's kind of understandable since they have so many permits to process and the way the system is setup doesn't make it easy to find options over a long window of time.
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Post by cdsmith379 »

Yes I gave them the option to reverse the route, substitute campgrounds, make it shorter, etc. I am actually surprised I got a rejection because I gave them 4 options two of which are in totally separate areas of the park.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Yeah, there were probably options and routes/sites open for you and they just didn't spend the time finding those options. That's really too bad and it doesn't bode well for for others still waiting to hear back.

These issues could easily be handled by better software. They could punch in a route and a date range and the system could then search for all the available options.
sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by sbosecker »

paul wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:45 am ...there were probably options and routes/sites open for you...
Used to be one could look at the Backcountry Advance Availability Web Page (https://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/ ... bcmap.html) and see whether they had fumbled a permit reservation request. For whatever reason, that page seems to be unavailable to the unwashed masses these days.

I guess the National Park Service doesn't have to be "transparent".

Scott
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Sorry to hear about the permit rejection. One used to be able to ‘check their math’ but the availability site has been down as Scott mentioned.

No availability for a 6 week span in different areas of the park with flexible options and increased advanced availability this year ? That is hard to imagine.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Well, I'm happy to report that I got a permit for the northern traverse in early September! I'm pretty excited. I guess the backcountry gods still like me.
Sue Z
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Sue Z »

Great news!
Sue Z
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by tibber »

I got one too. Not exactly what I wanted but at this point, I'll take it. I found out a couple days ago; just had to make sure my friend could still join me.

GAB GLF GLF (starting 7-19)

and I was lucky to be able to find lodging at a KOA cabin (no bathroom) for a couple nites prior.

FYI for those of you that don't know, the Red Eagle Motel is pretty decent, altho the walls are thin, and they had an opening for July 18th.

Now to see if I can nab a GTTSR pass for the 17th. I won't have the opportunity to get one for the 22nd so will have to drive Highway 2.

Glad you got your itinerary Paul!
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Obligatory dancing banana for you two!
:arrow:
:arrow:
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

tibber wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:24 pm I got one too. Not exactly what I wanted but at this point, I'll take it. I found out a couple days ago; just had to make sure my friend could still join me.

GAB GLF GLF (starting 7-19)

and I was lucky to be able to find lodging at a KOA cabin (no bathroom) for a couple nites prior.

FYI for those of you that don't know, the Red Eagle Motel is pretty decent, altho the walls are thin, and they had an opening for July 18th.

Now to see if I can nab a GTTSR pass for the 17th. I won't have the opportunity to get one for the 22nd so will have to drive Highway 2.

Glad you got your itinerary Paul!
I'm glad you got a permit too!
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

sbosecker wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:19 pm
paul wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:45 am ...there were probably options and routes/sites open for you...
Used to be one could look at the Backcountry Advance Availability Web Page (https://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/ ... bcmap.html) and see whether they had fumbled a permit reservation request. For whatever reason, that page seems to be unavailable to the unwashed masses these days.

I guess the National Park Service doesn't have to be "transparent".

Scott
Scott,
You might try calling them up. They probably made a mistake when they rejected your permit.

-Paul

Return to “Backcountry Permits”