Memorial Day Backcountry Trip

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Memorial Day Backcountry Trip

Post by zozeppelin »

Blanka,
That is a great route, especially if you can link it to Pitamakan and Dawson Pass, but way too early for that.

Here is the Red Eagle to Triple Divide status:
Projected initial clearing date: 7/13/2022 per 650Red Eagle Gorge Suspension Bridge: INSTALLED 6/1/2022 per 650Upper Red Eagle Suspension Bridge: INSTALLED 6/1/2022 per 650

And on the Cutbank side:
Projected initial clearing date: 7/13/2022 per 650
liketohike
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by liketohike »

zozeppelin wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:26 am Blanka,
That is a great route, especially if you can link it to Pitamakan and Dawson Pass, but way too early for that.

Here is the Red Eagle to Triple Divide status:
Projected initial clearing date: 7/13/2022 per 650Red Eagle Gorge Suspension Bridge: INSTALLED 6/1/2022 per 650Upper Red Eagle Suspension Bridge: INSTALLED 6/1/2022 per 650

And on the Cutbank side:
Projected initial clearing date: 7/13/2022 per 650
Yes, I knew it would be a little "iffy" this early, even though from past reports thought there was a chance it would be passable.
I just need to stop overthinking it :D and just wait till we get there and see what's available. Perhaps an out and back to Red Eagle would be an ok option with a day hike toward Triple Divide. Unfortunately there's no way to adjust/change our reservation now since we cannot see the Advance Availability, so would not know what to request.

Just curious, did you save a screen shot of the trail status pages or are they working on the website somewhere?
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Agree, don't overthink it. If it's open - great. Otherwise think about REF-REF or REF-REY-GUN (assuming the pass isn't open) or REF-REY-REF. Even ATL/MOR for a couple days would be good to explore both passes and Medicine Grizzly Lake.

I have a local save of the status that I periodically update when it's working. There is also internet archive, but I don't see any captures from 2022. If there are any other ones you're interested in, let me know.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

For what it is worth I have done Red Eagle to Atlantic in late June. The year I did it there was a bit of snow here and there but nothing difficult. Unfortunately it was several years ago and I don't remember what the snow levels were that year relative to average.
liketohike
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by liketohike »

orin wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:10 pm For what it is worth I have done Red Eagle to Atlantic in late June. The year I did it there was a bit of snow here and there but nothing difficult. Unfortunately it was several years ago and I don't remember what the snow levels were that year relative to average.
I remember reading your post from while back about it on here. It is good to know that some years that route is doable. This year may not be one of them... sadly It has become somewhat irrelevant for our trip due to a current trail closure of the Pitamakan pass trail from Cut bank to Morning star due to bear activity (trail to Medicine Grizzly also closed)...according to a St Mary ranger's comment on social media, they're expecting the closure to last at least till July 1st, which is the end of our Glacier trip.
I might try for 2 nights at Red Eagle or perhaps something along Highway 2. Maybe Ole lake out and back over Firebrand pass (thought about continuing from Ole lake to Ole creek, but the ford sounds like it would be pretty dangerous this time of year).
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

liketohike wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:09 am
Ear Mountain wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:08 pm
The Ole (note spelling) Creek campsite might well be flooded around Memorial Day. To reach Ole Lake requires a very dangerous early season ford of Ole Creek or a crossing of Firebrand Pass which will most likely be clogged by snow then. So I would not suggest those camps.
Ralph,
are you referring to the creek crossing between Ole Creek Campsite and Ole Lake? Or the one between Ole Creek camp and Fielding trailhead?
I am guessing they will both be a challenge early in the season, but is one worse than the other?
We will be in East Glacier last week in June and looking for alternative options for a 2-4 night route. Got a permit for St Mary to Two Med (REF, ATL), but not sure if that will be doable given the current snowpack and precipitation forecasted.

Thank you,
Blanka
Blanka,
The thread you replied to was from 2011 and did not pertain to 2022. I suggest you start a new thread and ask your question there.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Backcountry Permits”