Chances of This Itinerary?

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

jruebsam
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Chances of This Itinerary?

Post by jruebsam »

I got my first choice itinerary! The dates are the end of the range that I wanted, but who cares...so excited.

For those who have not received any response, you may want to email the backcountry office, as they stated that they had already sent my email - it was not in my spam folder, and I had not received it.

:arrow: :D :mrgreen: :| :!:
drmyers@sccoast.net

Post by drmyers@sccoast.net »

As far as walkins go in august for a group of eight or a group of 4 and 4 are there possibilites that no backcountry sites would be available any where in the park?
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

drmyers@sccoast.net wrote:As far as walkins go in august for a group of eight or a group of 4 and 4 are there possibilites that no backcountry sites would be available any where in the park?

HI Doc :)
Hows things in "The Low Country" ? 8)
I miss golf at The Dunes and Kiawa Island and most of all--fresh shrimp !

PS EDIT ADD
I ass-u-me'd you're in South Carolina! LOL. Could be Southern California I realized too late.
I still miss that stuff.

The odds of getting "nothing" approach zero.
Remember, roughly half the sites are not reserved, and available on a daily basis for folks like you(and me this year).
I This is what I told Boonsboro. And same advice for you. And with a group your size, it is imperative you be FIRST in line at a permit office.
And at the time of year you'll be here, that means one of those eight folks will need to be in line as early as 0500, earlier would not hurt. Bring a book, snacks and a drink. Chat with others that better be behind you in line 8)

Boonsboro wrote: Just called the back country office. At 10:01:36am I did not get a permit. Talked to them about walk-in in late July/early August. However, I am really nervous about traveling from North Carolina and not being able to get anything reasonable after spending the time and effort to get there.

I understand your concerns but they are near impossible to address.
"Reasonable" is very subjective. Late July/early August is peak season. It will be a busy time of year.

How many night trip were you thinking about? The longer it is, the more difficult it might be.
Too many unknown variables between now and late July.

What do you all think of walk-ins?

Walk-ins work very well if you take the time to understand the system...and work it skillfully.
Remember, roughly 1/2 of the spaces at each site are left open for walk-ins.
Learning how the walk-in system works is critical imo. Watch the video link that I made today.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
drmyers@sccoast.net

Yes in SC

Great fresh shrimp and oysters which i love.

We will be in glacier a week in august. we did not get the trip permit that we sent in despite being 2 minutes after midnight on the due date.

we do not mind changing the route to get a permit or staying in 2 campsites a few miles apart.

Assuming we can grab a walkin permit for a less popluar campsites night 1 and 2, does it maker easier to get the high profile campsites for 3-6 nights?

Thx for youtube video.

Charles
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

drmyers@sccoast.net wrote:Yes in SC

Great fresh shrimp and oysters which i love.

We will be in glacier a week in august. we did not get the trip permit that we sent in despite being 2 minutes after midnight on the due date.

we do not mind changing the route to get a permit or staying in 2 campsites a few miles apart.
The way the trails and campsites are set up, I don't believe that is an option. Although it might be an option in certain limited circumstances.

Assuming we can grab a walkin permit for a less popular campsites night 1 and 2, does it maker easier to get the high profile campsites for 3-6 nights?

In theory, yes if I understand your question correctly, but as a practical matter getting a walkup for 6 nights for a group of eight in August will be very tough, probably impossible...imo. As mentioned before, 8 people requires 2 tent sites at each campsite. Staying multiple nights at a couple different campsites would help, BUT...some sites only allow a one night stay in July and August.
It's simply impossible to say at this time just how difficult your challenge is going to be. I would watch the campsite availability page closely in the days leading up to your arrival. Look and see what campsites on a reasonable itinerary still have 2 open spots available.
I would also seek advice from the Apgar Backcountry Office when you arrive(St Mary Office if arriving on the East side) The BC Office may have advice or suggestions to help you. Make no mistake though, you have a tough challenge for a group of 8.

Thx for youtube video.
No problem. Looks like rain for next few days here. I may make one on how I use the walkup process. That might help illustrate the difficulty of getting a permit, especially for a large group.

Charles

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I've been informed that I may be wrong--Imagine that 8) -- on how difficult your task might be.
If your two groups are willing to stay at different campsites reasonably close together, there are a number of possibilities in the Belly River area depending on what's available when you arrive. Doubtful there are 6 consecutive nights worth though. Impossible to know until you arrive.
There may be other areas you could do something similar.
That's why it is imperative that you get with the BC Office asap on arrival.

George Carlin
drmyers@sccoast.net

Thanks for responding!

Looking forward to the trip! None of us have ever been to GNP.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

drmyers@sccoast.net wrote:Thanks for responding!

Looking forward to the trip! None of us have ever been to GNP.
Never been to GNP?
You are in for a HUGE treat :D
Hang in there. The Belly River Is a beautiful area of the park and has a number of campsites that aren't that far apart.

It will require planning carefully and a lot of luck, but a multi night trip is possible if you're willing to camp a 2-3 miles apart, maybe less e.g. MOL and MOJ
These pairs might not be too far apart for you:
ELFand ELH or COS and GAB or GLH and GLF. GLH and either MOJ or MOK could work.
Multiple nights would help at sites where allowed. Do day trips from your camp(s).

You might work out an itinerary using pairs of camps that aren't too far apart.
Better than camping in a motel room 8)

George Carlin
drmyers@sccoast.net

Thanks Pete. Really appreciate all your suggestions.

We do have an advance team that will be in Glacier 48hrs before the others get there to help reserve the permits.

Hoping that will help greatly.

Charles

Return to “Backcountry Permits”