Has anyone received notice of getting a permit?

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

ThomasMore
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Has anyone received notice of getting a permit?

Post by ThomasMore »

I had my permit filed in less than 15 minutes on opening of the new permit procedures and have heard nothing either way. Has anyone received a notice of getting a permit for 2016?
Me and Cass

Re: Has anyone received notice of getting a permit?

Post by Me and Cass »

I haven't heard, either, and freaking a bit. In another topic, there have been people, that have gotten confirmation. Confirmation has been linked to time of payment. I paid mine at 10:08. Some people who got confirmation, had a time of payment up to 10:07.
"Wake up to find out that you are the Eyes of the World"
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Yes, I received notice that my permit reservation was "Successfully Processed." Submitted around 10:06 AM
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
ThomasMore

Post by ThomasMore »

Ear Mountain- I see what you meant. The record showed that they possessed yours at 10:06AM on the 15th. Mine was processed at 10:13AM, which means a few thousand people ahead of me. Were you following the "Advanced Reservation Availability" site to monitor how things looked for your request? I saw a few days ago that my requested campsites were gone and I hadn't received anything, so I was pretty sure that we missed out.
Without giving out any days you would be out in the backcountry, what did you get?
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

The system is new this year so I'm not sure how things will go. But just because your desired campsites and dates disappeared from the Backcountry Site Availability pages doesn't necessarily mean you missed out. In past years backcountry permit personnel worked on completing a number of permits before sending out large groups of emails. Until such time as you get an official email saying your reservation could not be granted you haven't missed out.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
ThomasMore

Post by ThomasMore »

Good to know. Thanks for the information.
hkpierce

Post by hkpierce »

I got mine today. However, even though I put in for post September 4th dates, I did not get first choice. Considering that my entry confirmation was 10:36am MT on March 15th, I find that block-out remarkable.
Last edited by hkpierce on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me and Cass

Post by Me and Cass »

That's so weird, I haven't heard anything, and I put mine in at 10:08. I also had 4 trips but all during Aug, and with the block outs, I'm not confident?
jruebsam

Post by jruebsam »

Mine was processed at 10:04 AM, and still nothing. My itinerary is a popular route (modified Northern Traverse w/ Fifty Mountain built in), but I left a 2 week window.

I know two people that submitted a few minutes after me for trips and received rejection notices.
Me and Cass

Post by Me and Cass »

jruebsam wrote:Mine was processed at 10:04 AM, and still nothing. My itinerary is a popular route (modified Northern Traverse w/ Fifty Mountain built in), but I left a 2 week window.

I know two people that submitted a few minutes after me for trips and received rejection notices.
I have the exact same route, 2.5 week window in Aug. Very interesting.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Nobody knows precisely what happened between the time we hit our send buttons and when we got a notice of one kind or another.
Nor do we know just how this complicated process plays out when all the applications are being massaged and digested
They may be holding or changing application based on early cancellations.
This is pure speculation on my part.
Bottom line is I don't believe the time you got your notice of application being received means-- diddly squat. 8)
Other than in a very general way---early apps seemed to have gotten fulfilled early on.
Maybe later on someone from the National Park Service will explain is somewhat more detail how the whole process works from beginning to end.
In other worlds--make the process "transparent".
There shouldn't be any need to "keep it a secret". Right? :)
Oh well...
We all live in "hope" don't we?

Hang tight on your permit wait. :D

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
guzzishop

Post by guzzishop »

On March 15 at 1000 sharp, I was ready to submit my pre-loaded application form. It was probably only 5 or 6 clicks later when my form was accepted, but it took 6+ minutes due to my so-so Internet connection. Anyway, I was very excited (and surprised) to be notified exactly 10 days and 20 minutes later that they were ABLE to secure my trip itinerary to Boulder Pass / Hole in the Wall! :arrow: Now hopefully the trail will not be closed due to fire, the views won't be obscured by smoke, etc. etc.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." Steven Wright

Return to “Backcountry Permits”